Bear aware

tater

WKR
Hunting above treeline just means cliff caching food and meat. Use two different lines to suspend the bags down a good face, securing them at two different points to whatever rocks are sturdy enough. Just make sure there is no access points laterally or from below.

Two lines are in the hopes of keeping Pikas, or any other rodents from wrecking the ropes and dropping the cache. Some guys use a couple of feet of tin foil wrapped around the rope to deter the critters, but i've never bothered.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I haven't been much above tree line as far as camping goes but I my trip this fall will be above 7500'. I am thinking I will try the pack alarm or rig one similar with fish line and bells.

You don't need any alarms brother. Just keep a clean camp. I hunted in grizzly country before, and yes its a little un-nerving. Just carry some spray and keep your camp clean. You'll be fine.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You don't need any alarms brother. Just keep a clean camp. I hunted in grizzly country before, and yes its a little un-nerving. Just carry some spray and keep your camp clean. You'll be fine.

+1, unless having a base camp where weight doesn't matter, I rely on clean camp to keep the bears away. If I have the chance for a heavy base camp sure I'll setup a bear fence as I plan on being gone from it days at a time.

The only thing that alarm is going to do is give you peace of mind. A can of spray and a clean camp will go a lot further than some horn with a string attached.

crumy

WKR
I agree. The horn will just tell you that you are about to have an issue.
The only thing that alarm is going to do is give you peace of mind. A can of spray and a clean camp will go a lot further than some horn with a string attached.

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
The horn is pretty cool idea. I don't think it's much weight to worry about. Sets the mind at ease.

You guys don't think that will scare anything away?

It could give you time to grab you're gun possibly scare the bear.Some bears are territorial and will kick you're ass just because you're in their space not because they are looking for you're food.

blb078

WKR
Fishing line w/bells isn't a bad idea. Depending on how many bells you put up you might be close to 8oz w/that though but it'd be cheaper than the alarm.
To me 3.5lbs isn't much when you consider the insurance it gives you, assuming it's a good enough shock to scare a bear off. Most people on here wouldn't think of having that fence but then again all it takes is for one attack, even though rare, to change peoples minds.

Here's a video of that pack alarm, seems pretty loud, also further down is another idea/video of an alarm
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=145917

I went out today and bought the key chain alarm that was in this link. It's very small/light. And very, very loud, which I wasn't expecting. Will probably make a good lighter, cheaper alternative to the pack alarm. The only thing I can see really different between the key chain and the pack alarm is that the pack alarm might be a little more sensitive but I doubt that will be much of an issue if you're talking about a bear by your camp. And the pack alarm you can roll up the line, again a non issue imo. I bought some cheap 20lb test fishing line for the key chain alarm.

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Bear canisters are required in many areas of California, but I don't know how they would hold up to a griz or huge brown bear. I saw a 350 lb bear in the Sierras go nuts trying to open and crush one of those things. He was never successful.....beause I shot him.

bbrown

WKR
Bear canisters are required in many areas of California, but I don't know how they would hold up to a griz or huge brown bear. I saw a 350 lb bear in the Sierras go nuts trying to open and crush one of those things. He was never successful.....beause I shot him.
Ha - that's not considered baiting right?

Bighorse

WKR
Bears

I enjoy talking bears and camping. I've had many encounters outside a zoo living and hunting in SE Alaska. I've had em come into my alpine camp hunting goats. I've had one come to a shot after shooting a deer. I've ecountered many more just traveling.

They don't like humans!

Unless you've got a garbage bear or one habituated to human odds are you'll be percieved as a threat. That includes your scent. The only factor that I worry about is the X factor. A bear thats very territorial that you've suprised. I've yet to encounter that bear.

This fall I left my pile of Roosevelt elk meat covered with a tarp and my clothes with a black bear 500 yrds distant and visable overnight. It remained untouched. What got me concerned was the pack of wolves that moved into the area. I wasn't sure what they would do. The human scent may have helped there too.

I don't like to leave my hard earned game and trophy out of sight. Between birds and predators there is too much that can and will go wrong. My daughter lost her Dall sheep this fall to a Wolverine.

Food...I put it in Dry bags mainly. I'm not overly concerned really. A bear that comes close to camp already knows what the story is. It has decided that your in his space and whats there could be his. It's time to assert some dominance. Their nose is beyond comprehension. Keeping a camp scent free is a myth.

Good luck to all my fellow Backcountry roamers. The chance bad encounter with a bear exists. It's like saying you'll never get in a car accident.