Bear Adventure in BC

Good morning, It’s been a few months since I got back from my BC Bear hunt this spring, but as soon as I got back home, I was packing up my other pack for a weekend of fun with the Army. Then work, life, and more Army fun for a month and a half. So now that things have finally started to slow down, I thought I would share in my adventure with you all.

First and foremost, if you haven’t been to BC, you all owe it to yourself to explore that beautiful country. It takes my breath away every time I see it! The Second the Outfitter I went with was amazing! And my guide was awesome! We had tons of laughs and we had a great time together.

When I arrived in camp, I was immediately greeted by Lana and was told to come inside and make myself at home as I was shown to my room. I downloaded my gear. Thats where I met Matt, and as introductions were made, and we were talking with Lana and Jeff, while Lana was making dinner the other hunters started arriving we all hit it off great and the camp was full of laughter! It’s funny how in hunting camp the people you meet turn into great friends!

Day one was eventful with seeing some bears, but I was never able to get on any of them, second day was a little slow, however we did see lots of soe’s with cubs. I also made lots of stalks during the second day on the soe’s just to practice stalking. I did manage to get a stalk on a great Bear towards the end of the second day, but the wind switched on us and the game was up.

Day three was magical! We went out to this meadow, my guide had seen a GIANT of a Bear a few days ago, and he seems to hit this particular meadow every couple of days, so we took a gamble and the gamble paid off! This big boy was in the meadow and the stalk was on, we sprinted to the tree line of the meadow, then started walking the tree line and getting closer to this Monster,! My heart was pounding in my chest and the guide and i got to 70 yards on this big boy, when I ran out of cover, I was going to try and sneak around the tree line behind him, but my guide said he would see me and take off running. Which has been the case with this big boy. My guide has had history with this big boy during the beginning of the season on three separate occasions, the first two times, the wind busted the other hunters, the third hunter was almost going to seal the deal when an ATV drove down the dirt road and spooked the big ol boy! Now it was my turn, and we are back at the tree line 70 yards from this bear, 70 yards feels like 50 yards and Aron asked if I was comfortable shooting at 70 yards with my bow, or did I want to use his gun, Yes this was originally a bow hunt, that turned into a rifle hunt. I told him that I didn’t feel comfortable at 70 yards and the furthest I feel comfortable is 55-60 yards. I just didn’t practice longer yardage, and that is a problem I am solving now. So Aron asked if I wanted to use his rifle and I said hell yes, I will use his rifle, he helped me calm down and take a couple big breaths as I put the rifle on the sticks and placed the cross hairs behind his should and gently squeeze the trigger. I took few breaths as I watched the bear feed in the scope and I squeezed the trigger as the coss hairs of the scope settled into the pocket behind his shoulder. With a loud Bang! The bear dropped in its tracks with the first shot! As Aron and I exchanged Hugs and high fives big ol boy started getting up, Aron grabbed the rifle and placed another round into the bear and he was down for good. To say I was excited was an understatement! This big ol boy was big and heavy! It took myself and Aron to drag him to the vehicle then it took the other hunter that was with us to help us put him inside Aron’s truck. This is my biggest Bear to date and I cant wait to go again!IMG_8964.jpegIMG_8963.jpegIMG_8974.jpegIMG_8948.jpegIMG_8933.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8972.jpeg
    IMG_8972.jpeg
    561.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8974.jpeg
    IMG_8974.jpeg
    458.2 KB · Views: 51
Dandy bear!!! Congrats. Yup, spring bear hunting in BC, spot and stalk is really fun. About the best bowhunt we have in the province short of a good Stone sheep hunt!

PvilleMac

FNG
These hunt stories are what keeps me around here. Great bear man, congratulations.

gerry35

WKR
Maybe I missed it but what general area of our province did you end up hunting in? You definitely made the right choice in using your guides rifle instead of your bow. Pretty tough to get close to big old smart bears.