Beam scale issues

I have an Ohaus 5-10 beam scale on a level surface and I have to have about 1.5" of rear leg out on it to get the beam to zero. I have the silver and powder pan on the scale when doing this function. Once level, I have a 250gn weight that came with the scale and it always reads about .10 under what it should. I've thrown and weighed from a Lee Perfect Powder thrower and now and Charge master Lite and Everything seems to weight under on the beam scale compared to the two other scales. Questions:

1. Should I back down the beam to level with the foot and add weights to the silver pan to get it to level and then fine tune with the foot?
2. Does it matter how high I have to have the rear, tooth foot to get it level, is that throwing off the measurements by .10?

I've cleaned the scale knife pockets with alcohol and a paper towel and I'll look a the knife blades, they see ok, but I didn't sharpen then at all or anything.

I can upload a picture tonight, if that helps?

Tim

OP
R
Pics and another question?

Does the tenths wheel go the bottom of the numbers scale, the upper right hand notch of the scale or the top of the upper black area?

Attachments

• IMG_5666.jpeg
    IMG_5666.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5665.jpeg
    IMG_5665.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
I use a different beam scale but the process is the same. I use check weights equal to my charge weight every time I load. I always have to dial up/down the back end of the unit to get the needle on zero at that weight, although it's close to begin with. I have never used a level, and added very small lead shot in the "tray" (that the pan sits on) to get everything to read zero when I first started using this scale.

OP
R
For the tenths adjustment, which position? 1,2 or 3?

Attachments

• IMG_5666.jpeg
    IMG_5666.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 18
OP
R
Yeah, I did that and I've read it. I just couldn't tell where the tenths line goes and it's not very clear in the manual, unless I'm missing it. Also, not sure on the leveling issues either. I can make it read zero, just not accurate with test weights and I'm wondering if the amount of tilt I have is causing an issue.

TaperPin

WKR
Yeah, I did that and I've read it. I just couldn't tell where the tenths line goes and it's not very clear in the manual, unless I'm missing it. Also, not sure on the leveling issues either. I can make it read zero, just not accurate with test weights and I'm wondering if the amount of tilt I have is causing an issue.
That’s a nice scale.
As long as you are consistent it doesn’t matter what you use to align with the tenths. Looking at it, the intent was to use the bottom edge of the black directly under the word tenths.

OP
R
Thanks for that, so #3? Not very detailed or explained very well with what I've been able to dig up. Any thoughts on how much I've had to raise the foot to get it level?

TaperPin

WKR
Thanks for that, so #3? Not very detailed or explained very well with what I've been able to dig up. Any thoughts on how much I've had to raise the foot to get it level?
It doesn’t look too far out of whack in the photo - many beam scales tend to look like they are going uphill a little.

Whichever edge you feel like lining up with will work. If #1 is easier to see then that would also work. It won’t affect the accuracy as long as you consistently use the same reference mark.

Wrench

WKR
Page 3-5 of the manual answer all of this. It shows what zero and 3.7 grs looks like and how to check the knife edge.

OP
R
Yep, I saw that, which in my picture would be spot #1, but I've seen video and other info where it was the notch or the line right under the word "tenths".

Thanks again, I'll follow the manual - strange thought!

TaperPin

WKR
But for checking with check weights won't it throw that off?
That tenth adjuster makes 1 gr of adjustment per revolution. No mater where you start and set the zero, it will still make 1 gr per revolution, so it shouldn’t make any difference when a check weight is used.