BD's new "lightest down hoody in the world"

fwafwow

WKR
Montbell puffy - they make a hooded version too that's 7ish oz
https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25146&p_id=2301381&gen_cd=1

Rab rainshell

These are super lightweight and not meant for abuse. I have treated them accordingly and this will be my 3rd year with both pieces. I do a lot of bike packing so weight and packability are paramount. I also carry a SOL emergency bivy and find that between these three I'm protected for anything down to 40ish degrees
I was hoping the puffy would be a little less expensive. Does it go on sale?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got a MH Ghost Whisperer (hooded) that's 5-6 years old; it's my go to puffy for "summer" backpacking/long mtn day hikes. 6 oz and packs to a tiny ball (especially useful for day packs).

It definitely has a place. But for early season hunting I prefer the Enlightened Equipment Torrid- it's an Apex insulation that fares better in wetter conditions. It only weighs a few ounces more (8-ish ounces), comes in a little heavier denier (10d), is as warm as the Ghost Whisperer and is substantial cheaper—$200-ish

I've got a MH Ghost Whisperer (hooded) that's 5-6 years old; it's my go to puffy for "summer" backpacking/long mtn day hikes. 6 oz and packs to a tiny ball (especially useful for day packs).

It definitely has a place. But for early season hunting I prefer the Enlightened Equipment Torrid- it's an Apex insulation that fares better in wetter conditions. It only weighs a few ounces more (8-ish ounces), comes in a little heavier denier (10d), is as warm as the Ghost Whisperer and is substantial cheaper—$200-ish

I like my EE Torrid also. I recently picked up the Outdoor Vitals Ventus Hoody. So far I’m really liking it. Pretty sure it will replace one of my mid layers, and I can layer it with the EE Torrid for extra insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk