BC moose outfitters.

tater

WKR
What kind of hunt? Remote horse pack-in with multiple species? Moose only?
Fly in? Jet boat?
Trophy class? Rifle? Bow?
Start at the Guide Outfitters BC (goabc.com) homepage and do some looking.

Certain outfitters like Mike and Dixie (Hammett) at Sikanni River have been doing it well for a long time. Some tenures have changes hands in the last few years, and some regions in the central part of the province have seen moose numbers drop.

Moe.JKU

FNG
Like suggested start at goabc.com, I don't use guides up here, just DIY for me so i can't personally say any are good.
You could also check out huntingbc.ca, theres lots of members and outfitters on there for asking questions.

tater

WKR
What you are describing is North East area, so Tuchodi River or Sikanni River Outfitters. Bolen and Lewis to the NW, but i don't think they are doing horses, and i think they are catering more to goat hunters these days. Two years ago i would have said Five Stone, but i learned a few weeks ago that Craig sold his tenure.

I'll remind you of what i remind all other foreign hunters of when they come here: Tenures are not restricted, meaning residents can hunt the areas, so if you run in to other hunters, don't be surprised. There has been more than one hunter who has assumed that because a GO has a tenure that it gives them exclusive hunting rights to an area, and they get upset. It does give exclusivity, but only from other GO's, not from residents.

bradb

WKR
hunted with gundahoo abd I can't say anything but great things about them

MattB

WKR
I'll throw out another options, one I did 2 years ago and am doing again next year. One of the best things about moose is they are excellent eating. Most places that have difficult logicistics do not permit you to bring the majority of the meat home, and in some instances none. After a fair bit of research, I booked with and had a great hunt with Elk Vally Bighorn Outfitters. Their territory is in extreme SE BC and they have shiras moose (recognized as such by SCI but not B&C if you care), elk, mountain goat, mule deer, black bear and rocky mountain bighorns. It was hot when I hunted, so the moose sightings were down (still got a nice bull), but we saw PILES of goats, a decent number of elk and the odd bighorn. You could drive to their base camp (which is pretty remote itself) and then pack in via horseback to one of their back country cabins for the hunt. The great thing about that hunt was that, after I killed my moose, I loaded all the meat in coolers, threw them in my truck and drove home (only 19 hours from Central California). I do not know the season overlaps for various species, but might be an interesting option if you like to eat what you kill.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
How about Stone Mountain Safaris? I hear they are one of the best on horse back Moose hunts. Ive been looking into a trip with them in the future myself.

bradb

WKR
My moose was 49" wide. He just missed B and C.....I wouldn't have entered it anyway but just for reference

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
How about Stone Mountain Safaris? I hear they are one of the best on horse back Moose hunts. Ive been looking into a trip with them in the future myself.

That reminds me of the time at was at Stone Mountain on a Stone sheep hunt. First morning of the hunt and I'm in the can when the shooting starts. I get done and go to the cook cabin thinking that the antlered game hunter was sighting in his rifle. Guessed that wrong, he was shooting a moose on the landing strip. Made for an easy pack out. I think they used a wheel barrow to get it back to camp. That whole area has some really nice moose. I don't think most of the hunts are that easy and short.

My moose hunt is booked with mike and dixie at sikanni river.. I cannot wait.. From the way Dixie talked they have ALOT of moose.. She said shot opportunity with a bow is close to 100%.. I am also going to have a bison, goat, elk and bear tag as well.. Hopefully i can get a few of them..

My moose hunt is booked with mike and dixie at sikanni river.. I cannot wait.. From the way Dixie talked they have ALOT of moose.. She said shot opportunity with a bow is close to 100%.. I am also going to have a bison, goat, elk and bear tag as well.. Hopefully i can get a few of them..

You picked a good outfitter they have lots of goats ,bison,elk and moose!