BC Late Goat 2023

Soutah

FNG
I have booked a late goat hunt in BC for late Nov. 2023. Gear prepping already and was looking for anyone recommendations on must have gear.
I am pretty geared up and have done back country hunts and other Alaska hunts but was looking to see if anyone had any specific gear for this time of year, location and species. ie crampons, etc.

I just got back last week from my SE Alaska goat hunt. Aside from elevation differences I would imagine the terrain is similar. Weather may be a tad wetter in SE but not certain.

Number one item for me that saved the day was a bipod that extended up to 18"s in length. My shot was extremely steep. Beyond that the typical gear: a great layering system, gaiters, rain gear, excellent glass, a capable system to shoot out to 500yds+. I did not use crampons nor trekking poles. There were more times than not that the crampons would have been a life saver. I did bring trekking poles but never used them as they would have only been a hindrance getting through choked alder thickets etc. in the subalpine. You'll likely be in the alpine, so you won't have to worry about that. One of the guides did have an ice axe which we used multiple times and a rope to climb and repel with over ice-covered boulders and steep terrain.

OP
S

Soutah

FNG
I just got back last week from my SE Alaska goat hunt. Aside from elevation differences I would imagine the terrain is similar. Weather may be a tad wetter in SE but not certain.

Number one item for me that saved the day was a bipod that extended up to 18"s in length. My shot was extremely steep. Beyond that the typical gear: a great layering system, gaiters, rain gear, excellent glass, a capable system to shoot out to 500yds+. I did not use crampons nor trekking poles. There were more times than not that the crampons would have been a life saver. I did bring trekking poles but never used them as they would have only been a hindrance getting through choked alder thickets etc. in the subalpine. You'll likely be in the alpine, so you won't have to worry about that. One of the guides did have an ice axe which we used multiple times and a rope to climb and repel with over ice-covered boulders and steep terrain.
Great info. I have a hatch "tall" bipod and also a different 6-9 bipod that is much lighter and was debating which to take. Sounds like I better pack the extra weight and take the tall version. Thanks for that info. If I may ask what caliber/bullet combo did you use. I was planning on a 6.5prc shooting a Hornady 147 ELDM.

Yea, I took a Double pull lightweight Cyke-pod. It's heavy, but it's indestructible. I would do it again for sure. I was shooting a .28 Nosler with custom Berger 195 EOL reloads. Line of sight shot was over 550yds, but the shoot to was 411.

I ordered a custom 6.5PRC 18 months ago to take on this hunt but it still isn't finished so I had to roll with what I had. My friend did take his 6.5 PRC shooting custom Berger 156 EOL's and shot his goat at 500+yds without any problem. You'll be fine with what you have IMO.

I use Black Diamond crampons on all my goat hunts. I couldn't imagine doing a hunt (especially a November hunt) without them. They really are a safety device, and like a headlamp if you need it, then you REALLY need it.

Decker9

WKR
Crampons and gators for sure, poles are nice for knocking snow off branches, beefy poles work better then skinny. A z seat is nice in the snow too for sitting and kneeling. Glassing mitts are a nice add as well come November. A white suit could come in handy too if billys are mixed in with the groups in late November.

Bado20

FNG
Bring a proper set of mountaineering crampons, take the extra weight and get steel ones, nothing is worse than when crampons start to dull on you. I like the Black Diamond ones. Tall gaitors will also be pretty much a necessity.

buzzy

WKR
Who are you hunting with? My Feb goat hunt in BC didn’t require ant crampons but snowshoes were a must. Snow was deep but we got done after 3 separate hikes up the mountain over 4 days. All on different billies.

OP
S

Soutah

FNG
Who are you hunting with? My Feb goat hunt in BC didn’t require ant crampons but snowshoes were a must. Snow was deep but we got done after 3 separate hikes up the mountain over 4 days. All on different billies.
Hunting with Bob Milligan.

No matter what brand of gear you buy or bring, try to stay dry. Wear your rain gear, if necessary, and your tall gaiters. Slow down if sweating. I learned the hard way on my mountain goat hunt, TheGrayRider.