Bat machine actions

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I had Alex Wheeler build me a 30 Nos. Bat Vampire with a Bix n Andy Tac Sport trigger. They are first class actions all the way. Alex told me he checks everything on all actions he builds guns on- ignition timing, pin fall, extraction timing etc. he said all actions leave his shop perfect, but that the Bat's are closest to perfect when he gets them.
I reached out to Alex a few days ago over email, waiting for a response

Dos XX

WKR
Vesper had a bigger barrel tenon, I think. For a 7 PRC it wouldn't matter.

I have a 6.5 PRC Vampire with a Bix Tac Sport. Very nice set up.

I also bought the .308 bolt head in case I want to 260 AI it at some point.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I'm leaning towards the flat bottom, seems like they fit really well in the chassis I want and if I ever did put it in a traditional stock I like the idea of having that flat surface area for bedding

I'm leaning towards the flat bottom, seems like they fit really well in the chassis I want and if I ever did put it in a traditional stock I like the idea of having that flat surface area for bedding
If the price is close get the Vesper, it's a frigging tank and stronger than the aluminum Vampire.
BAT machine said the vampire won't handle lapua sized cases, shouldn't be an issue with a PRC but why not get the strongest action that'll take pressure?

BAKPAKR

WKR
If the price is close get the Vesper, it's a frigging tank and stronger than the aluminum Vampire.
BAT machine said the vampire won't handle lapua sized cases, shouldn't be an issue with a PRC but why not get the strongest action that'll take pressure?
LOL, I just messaged you about the Vesper. The way the rail is cut on the Vampire appears to give it better scope mounting options compared to the Vesper.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Is the vesper really that much stronger than the vampire? I've heard the vampire can handle high pressure loads pretty well

BBob

WKR
Is the vesper really that much stronger than the vampire? I've heard the vampire can handle high pressure loads pretty well
It’s definitely stronger but overkill unless you want to build a Lapua mag.

I can’t say for sure but I’d bet the Vesper is a lightened version of a BAT HR.

Last edited:
Yes it's much stronger, like I said BAT won't offer it with a lapua bolt cuz it won't handle the pressure, at least long term.
I really dig my Vesper and it's 26 oz as advertised, not saying the vampire isn't a strong action or that it will have issues with a standard mag but for a couple hundred bucks more the choice is clear for me.

Flyjunky

WKR
I had Alex Wheeler build me a 30 Nos. Bat Vampire with a Bix n Andy Tac Sport trigger. They are first class actions all the way. Alex told me he checks everything on all actions he builds guns on- ignition timing, pin fall, extraction timing etc. he said all actions leave his shop perfect, but that the Bat's are closest to perfect when he gets them.
When did Alex build your rifle, was this recently? How long was the build time?

bradb

WKR
Alex built me a 300prc on vampire a bit over a year ago. Time will just depend on his back log. Also he was much faster doing just metal then a complete rifle. Can't beat Alex.

Flyjunky

WKR
It was about 9 months. I picked it up in late 2021
After trying to decide between a 300NMI and 30nos I think I’ve decided on the 30nos as well.

How’s the rifle shooting? What are you using for bullets? Barrel? Etc?

Flyjunky

WKR
Awhile back he stopped taking new jobs and he's moved from Montana to Florida back to Montana and again back to Florida in the last 6 months or so so there's that too. Good luck :)
I knew he had stopped taking builds so that’s why I was curious on how long ago Axlrod’s build was.

According to Alex on LRO he’s back up and running.

Axlrod

WKR
After trying to decide between a 300NMI and 30nos I think I’ve decided on the 30nos as well.

How’s the rifle shooting? What are you using for bullets? Barrel? Etc?
It shoots amazing. Berger 215's @ 3060 fps w/ N570. The barrel is a Bartlein carbon 26".

Flyjunky

WKR
It shoots amazing. Berger 215's @ 3060 fps w/ N570. The barrel is a Bartlein carbon 26".
Did you have Alex build the whole rifle or did he just do the action work and chamber the barrel?

Do you know what reamer was used and/or how much freebore was added?

Axlrod

WKR
Did you have Alex build the whole rifle or did he just do the action work and chamber the barrel?

Do you know what reamer was used and/or how much freebore was added?
He built the whole rifle including bedding it. It's a reamer spec'd by him for the 215/230 grain Bergers. I don't know what the freebore is, but I can get you an cartridge length if you want.