Basic scope...with the best glass

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
New I’d look at the Steiner Predator 4, 750ish for the 6x24 or 4x16, 2nd probably a swaro z3 and Zeiss v4. The Zeiss is in the 6-800 range at redhawk, the z3’s can usually be found under 1000, sometimes well under. All will have good glass for hunting.

As for just a good cheap scope check out a Burris fullfield 2 in 4.5x14 with the AO, not the side focus newer model, they’re under 200 on eBay for new old stock. I’m not sure what’s going on with that particular scope but the glass shouldn’t be that good in a scope that cheap.

Last edited:
Been trying to find a no frills scope to top a 257 wby. This will be a pure hunting rifle, never more than probably 400 yards. I want something with a decent amount of zoom, thinkin 4-16 or so as my eyes aren't what they used to be. Won't be dialing up shots, so no BDC, no hashmarks, just your basic thin style duplex reticle. I want the clearest, most light transmitting glass possible. This will be used for deer and hogs, and if by chance I make it out west for Pronghorn. I have a VX-5HD on my 300 win mag, but didn't want to spend that much money for this one if I could help it.
Thoughts?
regardless of the scope you pick, the beauty of that cartridge and what you want the rifle to be is as perfect as it gets for a simple straightforward reticle and sight in for mpbr.... i have always wanted a 257wby set up for mpbr, when i was looking into it a few years ago, i want to say the mpbr of the 257wby is right around 400yds, which covers a ton of real world hunting scenarios.

i personally think 12X on the top end is more than enough for 400yds and in, but i understand that will come down to preference and the hunting you do (i value low power on the bottom end and as much FOV as practical..... sounds like a cool setup you're working on

OP
ThatredneckguyJamie
Found a deal on a Zeiss V4 3-12x44 at the RedHawkrifles webpage $549, not quite as much magnification as I originally had in mind but for $150 less than the 4-16's they had I figured it would be worth it to try. I appreciate all the responses. Once I get a chance to get everything setup and have a chance I'll be sure to give a range report.

Wrench

WKR
I'd be looking for a 1" kahles American hunter / celia. Glass clarity/quality is priced well below what it delivers.

If you are not going to dial, the 30mm brings little to the table for the weight penalty.

jjjones7

FNG
I have no idea on the new bushnell Elite 4500’s but the older bushnell elites (6500, 4500, 3500 series) scopes made in Japan were awesome. I’ve put some through damn hard use and never had one fail me and the glass was way better than it got credit for. I’m now running mostly bushnell elite LRHS’s but I still have an old elite or two running on .22’s or predator type guns.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe not a popular choice, but take a look at Meopta scopes. I recently put one on my 300WM as an upgrade and am truly impressed with the glass and the Dichro reticle technology, no batteries and the reticle lights up in low light.

OP
ThatredneckguyJamie
I have no idea on the new bushnell Elite 4500’s but the older bushnell elites (6500, 4500, 3500 series) scopes made in Japan were awesome. I’ve put some through damn hard use and never had one fail me and the glass was way better than it got credit for. I’m now running mostly bushnell elite LRHS’s but I still have an old elite or two running on .22’s or predator type guns.
I've got an older Bushnell Elite 4500 with the reticle you have to shine a flashlight on to make it glow, not crazy about that part of it but agree they are pretty good. I ended up going with the Zeiss for this build

OP
ThatredneckguyJamie
Got the scope in today from Red Hawk Rifles at the recommendation of several posts on here. This is their "used" scope..I can't tell that its ever been out of the box before I got it. has all the paperwork and stickers. you know stickers usually jack up the price by 3% lol

Attachments

• zeiss.jpg
    zeiss.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 55

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
Got the scope in today from Red Hawk Rifles at the recommendation of several posts on here. This is their "used" scope..I can't tell that its ever been out of the box before I got it. has all the paperwork and stickers. you know stickers usually jack up the price by 3% lol
Yeah stickers seems to be a thing now, I think it’s an actual requirement for nightforce, every scope I see no one seems to take the stickers off lol.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Yeah stickers seems to be a thing now, I think it’s an actual requirement for nightforce, every scope I see no one seems to take the stickers off lol.
It is pretty silly. My NF lost its stickers in the first 10 minutes. S&B is classy enough not to put in any on in the first place.

amassi

WKR
I appreciate custom rifles with big fueled by hornady stickers, easily good for 1/4 moa

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I appreciate custom rifles with big fueled by hornady stickers, easily good for 1/4 moa

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I'm not quite at the point of sanding down single use water bottles to cut weight. However, the stickers are too heavy to carry up a mountain.

Anyway, now the sticker lovers can laugh at me in return.

Last edited:

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe just order about a dozen stickers from NF and completely cover the scope with them lol, they’ll look like a NASCAR with all the stickers. Also start leaving all the tags on my clothes maybe, the sticker in my truck window, it’s endless.