Base & Mid Layer Orientation

Lot of good reads on this topic..........but to confirm the majorities personal results I ask for clarification.

Late Aug. - September backpack hunting. I run hot lets get that out there. Kutana pants and maybe Attacks when cooler.

Need help on this below:

Synthetic SS t-shirt (Kuiu, FL, Sitka, others) then a Merino blend hoody for best moisture movement and dry time?
Could wear SS while moving then put on hoody to cool and dry?

I do have a lightweight LS Patogonia (capillene) I can use on cooler days as the base and put a hoody over.

Thanks as always for you experience and recommendations.

Bump79

WKR
Personally, the benefits of merino are against skin and a limited to sub 170gsm. For western hunting a 150 gsm or less merino hoody with 1/4 zip is my go to every hunt. Then fleece or Sitka Active.

If it's a little cooler - I'll run a 150 merino SS then Kuiu 200 hoody, active hoody.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a good plan to me. You might also want to consider non-hunting brands for your SS synthetic, especially if you would cover up with the merino when you stop. They tend to be cheaper and performance from the hiking/backpacking brands are high.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

croben

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re looking for the best dry time, merino is not the way. Synthetic dries quicker. Merino will do great at pushing moisture away from your skin and will keep you warm while wet, but it won’t be as quick as synthetic.

OP
S
Seems like a good plan to me. You might also want to consider non-hunting brands for your SS synthetic, especially if you would cover up with the merino when you stop. They tend to be cheaper and performance from the hiking/backpacking brands are high.
Got any personal recomendations on the SS Synthetics for upper base layer?

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I love SG synthetic layers. Just guided a big bird hunt in hot nasty weather for 4 days and it worked like a charm. Would layer a flannel over in the AM when it was brisk.

I also run hot and it's been great everywhere else

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
Got any personal recomendations on the SS Synthetics for upper base layer?
I've got a mountain hardwear shirt I picked up on sale. I think they market it as a running shirt.

And I really like the outdoor research echo hoodie. Not a short sleeve shirt, but it breathes as good as anything.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been into sun hoodies and most are available as just a long sleeve shirt too. Some of them feel like work out under armour and some are a really soft material that acts more like a base layer than a sun shirt. O.R. Echo and outdoor vitals altitude are both very comfortable. The OV has polygeine odor treatment. I think it misses the mark as a sun hoodie for lack of thumb holes and hood coverage but it’s about the most comfortable next to skin fabric I’ve found. It’s available without a hood in short and long sleeve.

My next layer is a peloton 97, I’ve had zero benefits from merino unless it’s nts and lightweight as said above.