Base Layers?

barrycuda

FNG
Good morning and thanks for having me. At 70 yrs old l am traveling from Virginia to New Mexico for my first elk hunt in October. Told 30 degree nights and 60 degree days. This is a spot and stalk hunt. Thinking about purchasing some good lightweight base layers. Does anyone have any recommendations ? Thanks

Although I haven't experienced New Mexico on a hunting trip (used to travel there a lot), I would like to throw a vote in the thread for Kuiu's Merino 120 tops and their 145 Merino bottom. I wear the top as a baselayer most of the year in Vermont. In the summer, I have worn it as the outer layer for hiking. The bottoms zip off, and I use them with the Kuiu Attack pants to 0-degree temps.

Being a former Virginia Beach resident, 0 degrees may sound nuts to a current Virginian. Admittedly, my blood has acclimated to the Vermont cold. I wouldn't hesitate to use that combo in 30-degree weather if I felt cold enough.

REI has good stuff too. First Lite, Sitka, and all the rest as well. I went down the Kuiu path a few years ago and have yet to be let down. Big fan of wool as a base layer.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
This has been debated over and over on this forum, but if I was you….. First Lite has 20% off Merino as we speak and Kuiu has some Merino in their outlet store. Both good quality and I like and utilize both.
Don’t rule out Stone Glacier or Born Primatives new Baselayers line (no experience with either). For sure without a doubt get zip offs for your long John’s regardless what brand it’s so easy and convenient.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
I really like Minus 33 or Smart Wool base layers, especially for the odor fighting. Patagonia Campilene is also very good and doesn't stretch out as much as Wool.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning and thanks for having me. At 70 yrs old l am traveling from Virginia to New Mexico for my first elk hunt in October. Told 30 degree nights and 60 degree days. This is a spot and stalk hunt. Thinking about purchasing some good lightweight base layers. Does anyone have any recommendations ? Thanks
Sitka merino wool lightweight zip neck with either vest or light jacket over. Midweight is good too.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well I'll buck the trend :D

lightweight synthetic for my base layers and in number one position in that category (imho of course) are Sitka's Lightweight Core hoodies- pick your color (or camo); synthetic out performs merino in every category but odor and after a week even merino stinks

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I've transitioned to Synthetic if I am moving. Merino wool if I am stationary.

Merino Wool - Smart Wool

Synthetic - Sitka

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I use Kuiu merino wool love the zip off bottoms, what ever you decide it should be merino wool

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Zip off bottoms are life changing if you're like me and too lazy to take off your boots and pants to strip the bottoms off when you get hot. Kuiu merinos are nice but the pelotons weight less if that is an issue, plus they dry much quicker than merino.

Mugen

FNG
I like Voormi's baselayers. They use a merino/synthetic blend that's supposed to offer the best of both worlds, and they come in different thicknesses that could be used as a baselayer, such as Ultralight, and Baselayer thicknesses. And sometimes I'll just wear a Voormi Midlayer as a baselayer with a jacket.

They also make some of their products in patterns like Blowdown and Harvest.