Barrier of entry to Sheep hunting

Lots of “not a real sheep hunt” being thrown around without providing a definition. Also, who are they to provide the official definition of what a “real sheep hunt” is?

Audad live in country similar to desert bighorn sheep. You can hunt them in a similar way. I do wonder how many of these esteemed Rokslide elite would turn down a free hunt for desert bighorn as it’s not a “real sheep hunt” in their feeble minds.

Someone stated earlier that Aoudad wouldn’t scratch the itch for a sheep hunter. I definitely not elite, and people should do what ever is right for them. Based on my experience of a half dozen Aoudad, it didn’t scratch the itch. Same with a hand full of free range red sheep in south Texas. So I booked ibex in Asia, again didn’t scratch the itch. So I bit the bullet- saved my pennies and hunted dall sheep in the Alaska range. The itch is worse than before.

Maybe blue sheep in Nepal will satisfy it? I will know the answer to that this fall. But just in case it doesn’t- I’m tagging along on a Mexico desert hunt with a friend next year and already started saving to return for Dall. Maybe the brooks range will do it.

My only advice to anyone hoping to hunt sheep is to make sure you can afford to do it again.

Someone stated earlier that Aoudad wouldn’t scratch the itch for a sheep hunter. I definitely not elite, and people should do what ever is right for them. Based on my experience of a half dozen Aoudad, it didn’t scratch the itch. Same with a hand full of free range red sheep in south Texas. So I booked ibex in Asia, again didn’t scratch the itch. So I bit the bullet- saved my pennies and hunted dall sheep in the Alaska range. The itch is worse than before.

Maybe blue sheep in Nepal will satisfy it? I will know the answer to that this fall. But just in case it doesn’t- I’m tagging along on a Mexico desert hunt with a friend next year and already started saving to return for Dall. Maybe the brooks range will do it.

My only advice to anyone hoping to hunt sheep is to make sure you can afford to do it again.
Everyone is different which is why it is wrong for folks to ram (pun intended) their beliefs and thoughts down others throats. Kudos to you for getting out there.

Each hunt is different and may or may not scratch an itch. Can hunt the same spot for the same species and get dissimilar results. Can grind it out one year before getting a ram (itch scratched) and the next year shoot the damn ram a few hundred yards away from base camp on the first morning (no itch scratched).

There are a lot of options around the world, other than just chasing the NA Sheep slam and it’s associated costs, than can scratch folks’ itches.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone is different which is why it is wrong for folks to ram (pun intended) their beliefs and thoughts down others throats.

Why do you think that anyone is ramming their beliefs down anyone’s throat? I said “I’m not knocking aoudad or aoudad hunting, but I can’t see an aoudad hunt scratching the sheep hunter’s itch.”

I don’t see how I could have said that any more gently.

The original poster was talking about a desire to hunt sheep. He mentioned stone sheep lighting the fire and the idea of moving to Alaska or Canada to be able to hunt sheep. So it is reasonable to assume that he is wanting to hunt thinhorns in the wilderness.

If there is one thing that a lifetime of cutting corners has taught me it is this: if you have a burning desire for something, that desire won’t be satisfied with a more economical alternative. Even worse: you have to live with the regret of having wasted money chasing the alternative, when that money would have been better spent towards what you knew that you wanted all along.

With that in mind, I’ll ask you..... if a guy is dying to hunt dall/stone sheep, dreaming of all the things such a hunt entails: deep wilderness, grizzly bears, clear mountain streams full of grayling, living out of a backpack, battling through ever changing weather, etc. Do you think that an aoudad hunt on a ranch in Texas would fulfill that desire?

I am interested in your answer. I do know that I am biased because I have outlined what draws me to hunt sheep(which is why I moved to Alaska), and I know that sheep hunting means different things to different people.

-and no, I wouldn’t turn down a desert sheep hunt, or even an aoudad hunt.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR

This, well kind of this but kind of not.

I hunt barbary sheep in New Mexico over the counter every year that I have been here. Never killed on that way, but I have taken one free range on a big 500,000 acre ranch in west Texas. A big 30 plus inch aoudad is a wonderful animal. Free range, it is a good hunt. You may or may not suffer like a guy suffers on a sheep hunt.

It isn't much of an adventure, but I live 5 miles from Desert Bighorns and 30 miles from aoudad. See sheep regularly.

If you suffer and shoot a 20 inch aoudad is that a sheep hunt? Maybe it depends on weather or not you consider an aoudad to be a sheep. I personally love them, I think they are amazing. But are they sheep? It isn't the same, at least I don't think it is the same.

Free range red sheep in West Texas only exist on a handful of ranches. I don't know which ones are which and can't give recommendations. I was on a hunt where one was taken. Wonderful trophy, but is it a sheep hunt? They are true sheep ovis musimon or something like that.

Lived where the ibex and chamois lived in Spain, and where they chamois lived in Germany. These are not a sheep hunt in my mind.

A blue sheep in Nepal, isn't technically a sheep either. But it is a sheep hunt.

A friend of mine killed a big ibex in Kyrgistan. Hell of an adventure. For sure a sheep hunt. He killed a tahr on a helicopter hunt in New Zealand, and they packed in for miles and really suffered. For sure a sheep hunt. He also shot a tahr in a deer fenced pasture down in the low country, it dwarfs the one he shot on the mountain and he has the skull on his wall but doesn't talk about it. Ill-begotten gains.

As much as i want to kill a bighorn in my back yard near Las Cruces, NM. I don't think of it as much of an adventure because I live here and see them regularly.

A sheep hunt in my mind is an adventure.

Game ranch sheep hunt in the Texas hill country, no matter the species is not a sheep hunt.

You can also shoot captive bighorns and dalls in Alberta on a ranch. Not much adventure there.

Ibex

FNG

Hunting Dallas in the Brooks range will just make it worse, trust me

idig4au

WKR
Prices of sheep hunts are escalating faster than what many can save on an annual basis. Prices in NWT have increased >$10k alone in the last 10 years. People are willing to pay it and outfitters are booked out several years in advance at these prices.

Look for cancelation hunts as some deals can be had. I’ve seen sheep hunts heavily discounted if can go on short notice.

Apply for as many sheep hunt raffles that you find as someone has to draw.

Become as AK resident, enjoy 20% increase in cost of living. AK is a beautiful place. Probably will be difficult for any local to show you the ropes given all the resident competition. But with research, a lot of hard work, and a sense of adventure it can be done. A successful hunt always isn’t measured by a kill.

As others have said, there is no substitute in my opinion for a true sheep hunt experience up north. I’ve been very fortunate to be in a position to hunt sheep around the world, and other than Nepal, nothing touches sheep hunting up north.

With sacrifices and making it priority, it can happen. It all comes back to how bad you want it.

OMB

WKR
Prices of sheep hunts are escalating faster than what many can save on an annual basis. Prices in NWT have increased >$10k alone in the last 10 years. People are willing to pay it and outfitters are booked out several years in advance at these prices.

Look for cancelation hunts as some deals can be had. I’ve seen sheep hunts heavily discounted if can go on short notice.

Apply for as many sheep hunt raffles that you find as someone has to draw.

Become as AK resident, enjoy 20% increase in cost of living. AK is a beautiful place. Probably will be difficult for any local to show you the ropes given all the resident competition. But with research, a lot of hard work, and a sense of adventure it can be done. A successful hunt always isn’t measured by a kill.

As others have said, there is no substitute in my opinion for a true sheep hunt experience up north. I’ve been very fortunate to be in a position to hunt sheep around the world, and other than Nepal, nothing touches sheep hunting up north.

With sacrifices and making it priority, it can happen. It all comes back to how bad you want it.

NWT prices have practically increased >$10k in the last 5 years. I booked in 2018 for the 2020 season, had to push to 2022 because of Covid, thankfully my outfitter didn't add a surcharge, but I did go and look recently where other outfitters are priced and it's been about $8-10k since 2018 alone.

I've said this on other threads, but prices are probably going to be pretty whacky for the next 5-10 years because we have such a huge portion of hunters (Boomers) hitting retirement age with strong 401k performance in the last few years. Whether it's sheep hunts, auction tags, guided private land hunts out West, or cashing in on 20+ years of preference/bonus points, it's probably not a great outlook in the foreseeable future for hunters under 35 who are trying to do some of those things.

If you're financially disciplined and have a plan together though, I think you should have a more rosy outlook once we get through the horde of Boomers (and I don't mean that in a derogatory manner, it's just the facts of where we're at.)

Why do you think that anyone is ramming their beliefs down anyone’s throat? I said “I’m not knocking aoudad or aoudad hunting, but I can’t see an aoudad hunt scratching the sheep hunter’s itch.”

I don’t see how I could have said that any more gently.

The original poster was talking about a desire to hunt sheep. He mentioned stone sheep lighting the fire and the idea of moving to Alaska or Canada to be able to hunt sheep. So it is reasonable to assume that he is wanting to hunt thinhorns in the wilderness.

If there is one thing that a lifetime of cutting corners has taught me it is this: if you have a burning desire for something, that desire won’t be satisfied with a more economical alternative. Even worse: you have to live with the regret of having wasted money chasing the alternative, when that money would have been better spent towards what you knew that you wanted all along.

With that in mind, I’ll ask you..... if a guy is dying to hunt dall/stone sheep, dreaming of all the things such a hunt entails: deep wilderness, grizzly bears, clear mountain streams full of grayling, living out of a backpack, battling through ever changing weather, etc. Do you think that an aoudad hunt on a ranch in Texas would fulfill that desire?

I am interested in your answer. I do know that I am biased because I have outlined what draws me to hunt sheep(which is why I moved to Alaska), and I know that sheep hunting means different things to different people.

-and no, I wouldn’t turn down a desert sheep hunt, or even an aoudad hunt.
You are the first person (that I've seen) post in this thread what they feel are the requirements of a sheep hunt. Kudos to you for actually doing so. But please be understanding and be aware that not everyone would require grayling to be present for it to be a "real sheep hunt".

For the cost of a single guided Dall sheep hunt, a hunter can do 2+ ibex hunts in the STANs. This hunter will get amazing hunts, experience awe inspiring terrain, with an assortment of risk, and can get two crowd-pleasing sets of horns. Now I know this would not scratch your itch based upon your sheep hunt requirements. But it very well could scratch that itch for others at a lower price point.

At the end of the day, we are all different. If a person has to have X on a hunt, then they can knock themselves out. But that same person should not insist that everyone else adopt the same requirements (ex: grayling).

ozyclint

WKR
Each to their own as people have said here.
There would be no way I would spend $50k on a guided hunt. Just not interested in guided hunts. DIY is what really fulfills me.
DIY backpacking for tahr with a recurve bow on NZ's west coast is as close to sheep hunting as I'm likely to get and because I can do it every year, on my own terms for about $2k in simple logistics costs, I'm happy with that. I've never seen any sheep hero pics in country that looks anywhere near as rugged as Westland.

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
The unlimited sheep in MT unit 500 and 501 is fairly easy access. But, you had better do lots of scouting two weeks Or more prior to find a LEGAL ram. Put the ram to bed the evening before legal and anchor him in the morning. Be aware that there is only a two ram allotment for each zone. Been there, done that at age 73. I was not the tag holder. My buddy did not take a ram. Lots of hunters, lots of pack trains. But, a great adventure. Think about a mountain goat also.
Now, have been to NZ to take a tahr and a arapawa sheep. This can be done on a DIY hunt. The only draw back is getting your rifle into the country.
Also, you may consider an aoudad hunt in TX or NM. TX with a guide is almost a given that you will score. In NM intense southeast units there are aoudad and can be a DIY hunt but success ratio is low.
If you truly want to get into the sheep hunting craze you better be ready to be in great shape and be patient. Good luck. MTG

Attachments

• 771A0223-E1D0-4E8D-B128-D4D71B16883E.png
    771A0223-E1D0-4E8D-B128-D4D71B16883E.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 907CA1AC-6A7E-4F16-876A-B7C26B3B52C4.jpeg
    907CA1AC-6A7E-4F16-876A-B7C26B3B52C4.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 27

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
You are the first person (that I've seen) post in this thread what they feel are the requirements of a sheep hunt. Kudos to you for actually doing so. But please be understanding and be aware that not everyone would require grayling to be present for it to be a "real sheep hunt".

For the cost of a single guided Dall sheep hunt, a hunter can do 2+ ibex hunts in the STANs. This hunter will get amazing hunts, experience awe inspiring terrain, with an assortment of risk, and can get two crowd-pleasing sets of horns. Now I know this would not scratch your itch based upon your sheep hunt requirements. But it very well could scratch that itch for others at a lower price point.

At the end of the day, we are all different. If a person has to have X on a hunt, then they can knock themselves out. But that same person should not insist that everyone else adopt the same requirements (ex: grayling).
Are you familiar with the term “straw-man argument(grayling...)?

If you read closer you will see that I’m not the only person who mentions that a big part of the draw for many of us, is the wild locales that it gives us an excuse to experience.

BTW, I thought that I mentioned ibex as a worthy alternative. If not, it sure crossed my mind.

In the end we are all just giving suggestions to a would-be sheep hunter. Of course those suggestions are based on our own experiences and perspectives. What we all have in common is that we love sheep(including aoudad) and we want to help someone out who is in a place that we have all experienced.

Anyway, if we ever have the fortune to cross paths I’ll be happy to buy you a beer.

Each to their own as people have said here.
There would be no way I would spend $50k on a guided hunt. Just not interested in guided hunts. DIY is what really fulfills me.
DIY backpacking for tahr with a recurve bow on NZ's west coast is as close to sheep hunting as I'm likely to get and because I can do it every year, on my own terms for about $2k in simple logistics costs, I'm happy with that. I've never seen any sheep hero pics in country that looks anywhere near as rugged as Westland.
NZ is a place i need to experience. A friend just returned (took a nice chamois and tar ) and said it was VERY similar hunting dalls, but only if you ditch the heli and go on foot. I will say the camera makes everything look flatter than it is.

Chasing after those things with a stick bow is impressive.

DIY is also not an option for the majority of sheep/goat hunts for guys living in the lower 48. Wish it was though.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
A recession is brewing…May mean nothing in this premium hunt, however it is likely to slow things down for a couple years. If nothing else, it may pause the inflation in these hunts for a year or two.

jhm2023

WKR
I opted for the move to Alaska route. Perhaps it's not the cheapest way to pursue sheep when you factor in the cost of living and everything else that goes with Alaska living. That said, I hunt sheep every year OTC. Then add on the ability to hunt moose, caribou, grizz/brown bear, mtn. goat, blacktail, wolf and all the outstanding fishing, it's kind of hard to beat. Two rams of my own, three other rams I've had the pleasure of helping good friends take and all the other animals mentioned I've put on the walls and in the freezer isn't too bad for a guy that doesn't even clear 100k a year. I already have 30 plus days of DIY critter chasing planned this fall to chase after 4 species (including sheep) that most dudes would spend their life savings to have a single chance at one of. I know that I'll never be buying a guided sheep hunt on this continent and the waiting game likely won't work either, so I'll just keep chasing white sheep as a resident until I can no longer handle freezing my nuts off every winter.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
So a Stone's hunt is $50-60k now?

Dang.

Apparently the going rate is $70K....but here is a last minute opening for the low price of $60K:

idig4au

WKR
Actually it’s $75k for 2023, a $5k increase from 2022 and they are sold out at this price. Directly from their website.

thats 100% increase in 8 years at the going price at that time.