Barrel threading….again.

Following recommendations by most smiths and suppressor companies, you won’t get 9/16 from a lite barrel at 20”. 1/2” you can do.
Would you mind expanding on this a bit more? 9/16ths is something I’ve thought about on my 300WM lite. From what I can tell, TBAC says a barrel diameter minimum of .662” is fine for 9/16th. On my lite, I get that at about 19 1/2”. Just wanting to learn more since, like others have said, this whole thing is confusing to a simp like me.

Edit: I know 19 1/2” is not the same as 20” and that the diameter at 20” wouldn’t meet TBACs min. I was thinking about going to 18” anyway. Just curious to hear more about your discussions with smiths. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 33F7110E-9B5E-450F-BF79-D8382101BA5D.jpeg
    33F7110E-9B5E-450F-BF79-D8382101BA5D.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Would you mind expanding on this a bit more? 9/16ths is something I’ve thought about on my 300WM lite. From what I can tell, TBAC says a barrel diameter minimum of .662” is fine for 9/16th. On my lite, I get that at about 19 1/2”. Just wanting to learn more since, like others have said, this whole thing is confusing to a simp like me.

Edit: I know 19 1/2” is not the same as 20” and that the diameter at 20” wouldn’t meet TBACs min. I was thinking about going to 18” anyway. Just curious to hear more about your discussions with smiths. Thanks in advance!
You may get away with it if you’re okay with 17-18”.

Below is a picture of my lite barrel where it reaches .662”. The barrel is cut to 20” and has a TBAC brake glued to .6” of thread.

BF4CC398-CCDF-4379-B3C8-66A65EB45EA5.jpeg

You may get away with it if you’re okay with 17-18”.

Below is a picture of my lite barrel where it reaches .662”. The barrel is cut to 20” and has a TBAC brake glued to .6” of thread.

View attachment 500525
Got yah. I don’t have calipers handy but when I measured, I was getting .66 at 19”+. I wouldn’t expect that much variance with lite barrels, but maybe! Or maybe my calipers are off. I’d like to go 9/16th just to avoid the “can you 1/2” a 30 cal” thing altogether. Close one can of worms and open another, tell ya what… thanks for the photo!

Lawnboi

WKR
Got yah. I don’t have calipers handy but when I measured, I was getting .66 at 19”+. I wouldn’t expect that much variance with lite barrels, but maybe! Or maybe my calipers are off. I’d like to go 9/16th just to avoid the “can you 1/2” a 30 cal” thing altogether. Close one can of worms and open another, tell ya what… thanks for the photo!
If you don’t have a suppressor already…. It’s worth the hassle.

I am in the process of purchasing my first suppressor, an ab raptor 8. It can be mounted with the included, over-the-barrel reflex mount or without it. Being my first go at a can, I find myself lacking basic understanding related to preparing my rifle to receive it. I was hoping a few of you could help me form a plan to prepare the barrel. The barrel is a stock Tikka T3x lite 6.5 CM barrel. I plan to cut it to between 16-18 inches in length and then thread, using a gunsmith for those services. My questions-

The suppressor is a 5/8-24 thread direct mount. can the gunsmith just thread the barrel to receive the suppressor and I be able to screw the suppressor directly to the threaded barrel? Done ready to shoot?

if this is not possible, what needs to be done beyond threading the barrel in order to mount the suppressor to the barrel?

I would prefer to use a gunsmith recommended by my Rokslide family. Any positive recommendations? (Shaen Rifles seems highly recommended but not accepting work right now).

thanks in advance for helping this suppressor virgin understand these elements!

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
The barrel is a stock Tikka T3x lite 6.5 CM barrel. I plan to cut it to between 16-18 inches in length and then thread, using a gunsmith for those services. My questions-

The suppressor is a 5/8-24 thread direct mount. can the gunsmith just thread the barrel to receive the suppressor and I be able to screw the suppressor directly to the threaded barrel? Done ready to shoot?

if this is not possible, what needs to be done beyond threading the barrel in order to mount the suppressor to the barrel?
From what I understand, no on the 5/8-24 threading on the lite barrel even at 16-18", maybe on 9/16, but more likely 1/2-28 with a 1/2-5/8 adapter for the can.

I would prefer to use a gunsmith recommended by my Rokslide family. Any positive recommendations? (Shaen Rifles seems highly recommended but not accepting work right now).
Kampfeld Customs will do you solid, Karl is easy going and does great work. I would follow his recommendations.

From what I understand, no on the 5/8-24 threading on the lite barrel even at 16-18", maybe on 9/16, but more likely 1/2-28 with a 1/2-5/8 adapter for the can.

Kampfeld Customs will do you solid, Karl is easy going and does great work. I would follow his recommendations.
Thank you for that Harvey! Do you happen to know if Kampfeld supplies those adapters, or are they an off the shelf item?

Last edited:

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Sending 2 barreled actions in (tikka 30-06, Kimber 308), tikka is getting cut back to 18” and hen he will somehow permanently greeted a flare/shoulder that will let me run 5/8x24 direct thread. Same thing will happen to the Kimber but I’ll probably get it cut to 17”.

Both rifles are shooting well so I don’t see any reason to spend 2-3x the $$$ and rebarrel them at the moment. If everything is good which I’d imagine it will be, I’ll be sending a ruger 77/22 to be shortened and threaded to 1/2x28 and I’ll send in a Kimber 300 win mag and have him cut it back to 22” and add the shoulder flare.
Sorry to revive an old thread but was he threading 1/2x28 then adding an adapter to get it up to 5/8x24? Or was he threading 5/8 and some how adding a shoulder for the suppressor to butt against? I’m sending my 7mag off to the be threaded for suppressor and thinking going 1/2x28 then adding either a griffin thread to taper adapter or ez brake to accomplish the same result more or less with my explorr 300 that’s in jail.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sorry to revive an old thread but was he threading 1/2x28 then adding an adapter to get it up to 5/8x24? Or was he threading 5/8 and some how adding a shoulder for the suppressor to butt against? I’m sending my 7mag off to the be threaded for suppressor and thinking going 1/2x28 then adding either a griffin thread to taper adapter or ez brake to accomplish the same result more or less with my explorr 300 that’s in jail.
It’s been awhile and I havnt thought about it a whole lot since it works so well. I believe he threaded it with a non standard thread pattern then permanently attached a shoulder/ adapter. It works great, I love being able to direct thread with no muzzle devices or little adapter pieces, it’s great.