Barrel Options for 6.8 Western?

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
Building a 6.8 Western but struggling to find barrel options. This will be put onto a defiance action.

Criteria for barrel:
20” or possibly even 18”
Carbon
1:7.5 or 1:8 twist

Browning chose to do x-bolt at a 7.5 twist, while the winchester chose 1:8 twist so looking to just mirror their choices in a 20” carbon.

JFK

WKR
Figure out what type of bullet you want to shoot and look at the needed twist rate. Go from there. That shorter barrel will likely give you somewhat slower muzzle velocity, so be realistic with plugging in the expected velocity into a stability calculator. You are likely looking at around 200-300 less fps than book velocities based on a 24” barrel, in which case the 7.5 twist may be the better choice.

OP
C

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you JFK. These are great tips. I will be shooting the 165 Accubond Long Range by winchester. The 7.5 twist is what browsing uses for the 6.8 western in x-bolt in 20” suppressor ready version, so that tells some info. Struggling with brands for barrel.

Carbon 6 or preferred barrel blanks will make a fast twist 6.8 barrel for you. Can’t speak to quality from either as I’ve never owned either.

OP
C

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
Carbon 6 or preferred barrel blanks will make a fast twist 6.8 barrel for you. Can’t speak to quality from either as I’ve never owned either.
Thank you! I’ll reach out to these two places. Curious to qualify for both as well. They look to be similar pricing and at surface-value similar products.

Xcaliber has fast twist .277 and carbon. I have a stainless one being put on now all the reviews and my smith had good things to say

SloppyJ

WKR
I have a PVA in .223 and a proof in 300prc. Both shoot great. I ordered an xcaliber 6cm as well. Note that xcaliber does barrel nuts and from your questions I'm guessing you're not going to know what that is. I'd stick with a shouldered prefit for your case.

You can order a .277 proof in the length you want and have it chambered. I don't think they make prefits for 6.8W. Check out front range precision. He has treated me well before and normally runs some sales on proof barrels. He also has a smith he works with to chamber it or you can go with any other smith, just do your research.

I recently put a prefit 26 inch from carbon six on a Bighorn Origin. 27 Nosler. It was an 8 inch twist and, like you, I’m wanting to push the heavy .277 bullets. I haven’t done much experimenting yet but I’m having trouble getting any decent results. Don’t take my comment as a bash on carbon six. It appears to be a very nice barrel - I don’t have a bore scope so I can’t say what the inside looks like.

OP
C

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you Lostfarmer. Every little bit of info helps. I have been leaning towards to carbonsix at this time but waiting some additional info on if there are other options.

OP
C

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
After seeing that Fierce and Christensen are also using 1:7.5 twist I’m going to go with that twist rate. That puts me here in the search:

Carbonsix: Can make a prefit 20” with 7.5 twist
Preferred: Looks like only a 1:7 or 1:8 and not the 1:7.5
Barlein: haven’t heard from them yet
Benchmark: haven’t heard from them yet
Xcaliber: Havent contacted them

With it being the holiday weekend having minimal communication but still researching. So far it’s CarbonSix who has exactly what I need but I’m hoping to have a few different options.

I honestly don’t think you will lose anything going with a 1:8” twist.

One question I do have though is why limit yourself to carbon only? You will have a lot more options if you go with steel.

OP
C

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
Preference to carbon. Will be running a suppressor and this is very specifically for a backcountry lightweight build.

Unckebob

WKR
Can you go to 22"? I have 2 20" barrels, one 22" and 2 24" barrels. I think 22" is the sweet spot for compactness and velocity. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck on your build. I picked up my 6.8W Browning last week. Since the whole point of the 6.8W is to shoot heavy for caliber bullets, I am glad it came in 1:7.5.