Barrel length for a suppressor?

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Going to buy a 6.5 CM and would like it suppressed. Not sure of the gun yet, but Savage 110, Tikka, Weatherby Vanguard. Maybe Ruger American.

It will be a hunting rig mostly. I can shoot out to 400 at my current range.

Is 24” too long? 20” to short? Does it matter much?

Thanks!!

Dsnow9

FNG
Another vote for 18”. I had a 26” barrel with cam on it. It absolutely sucked for hunting with. I might have well as been hiking around with a flag pole. Way to much length unless your hunting antelope on the plains or something with no trees.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t go longer than 20”, but that’s just me. You’re adding 5 to 7 inches to the end of your barrel. If you have a 24” barrel, it wouldn’t be fun to walk through the woods with the suppressor on.

If you’re just shooting at a range, I guess longer barrels are better. Depends on your use case.

OP
N

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! Looks like Savage and Tikka both have 20” barrels and I could always get it chopped.

ahlgringo

WKR
I will be the oddball here I guess. I have a 24" 300wm with a 6" can. I also have an 18.5" fieldcraft in 308. Now the fieldcraft is obviously lighter, but I have hunted with both rifles extensively during elk season the past few years. In a gun bearer, I actually don't notice a huge difference moving around. I am in CO and hunt a variety of terrain including canyons and dark timber. While the FC is "handier" in the woods, I actually prefer the mindset that I would be able to make a 500 yd shot reliably, and have done so on numerous occasions. I think I would be ok with the tradeoff of fps and length at about 22" but that is about as short as I would go in a magnum.

Hunting without a can is not an option for me anymore after getting used to having it.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Anywhere between 16-18 for me. My 6.5 Creed Tikka at 18 gets 2700 fps with a 127 LRX and near max load of StaBall.

I will be the oddball here I guess. I have a 24" 300wm with a 6" can. I also have an 18.5" fieldcraft in 308. Now the fieldcraft is obviously lighter, but I have hunted with both rifles extensively during elk season the past few years. In a gun bearer, I actually don't notice a huge difference moving around. I am in CO and hunt a variety of terrain including canyons and dark timber. While the FC is "handier" in the woods, I actually prefer the mindset that I would be able to make a 500 yd shot reliably, and have done so on numerous occasions. I think I would be ok with the tradeoff of fps and length at about 22" but that is about as short as I would go in a magnum.

Hunting without a can is not an option for me anymore after getting used to having it.

I use a gun bearer as well with a 24” barrel. The barrel is maybe 2” from the top of my head which allows to get under branches and what not. So I feel I could go up to 26” total length and be ok, which would probably put me at a 20/21” barrel tops.

Going thru this myself.
Why not just go 16?
If going to 18 to have a handier rifle how much difference is the two inches.
Is the effective range that much difference?

I’m a long barrel guy. I have a 22”, 24”, and 26” barrel gun with suppressors. Short is nice for maneuvering but also makes it louder and you get velocity loss.

I don’t mind the longer barrel

Attachments

• IMG_2110.jpeg
    IMG_2110.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1946.jpeg
    IMG_1946.jpeg
    424.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1291.jpeg
    IMG_1291.jpeg
    613.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Profiler

Lil-Rokslider
20" preferable. I've done it on a 22" but my Q jumbo shrimp suppressor is only 5" long.

cougarred

FNG
I have 2 6.5 CM 16" barrels only shoot supressed and out to 400 yds there are no problems shooting 123 Hornady SST's about 2600 fps.

I am a "shorter is better" guy when it comes to suppressed rifles.

All of my short action rifles are 20" or less, with the exception of my TC Encore 6.5 Grendel barrel. Even at 24" the overall gun is 2 inches shorter than my Ruger American 6.5G with the barrel cut down to 20".

I currently have only 2 long action bolt guns. The first is, a Savage build in 300 Win Mag and that has a 21" barrel. The other is a factory Tikka in 7mm Rem Mag. The only reason I haven't cut the barrel on that one to less than 22" is because it is fluted. I plan on using it for my moose hunt in Canada this year, where I can't use my suppressor anyway. After that, it will probably be rebarreled to 300 PRC with a 22" barrel.

I am also in the process of building a .338 Sherman Mega and that one will have a 21.5" barrel.

Im looking at buying matching tikkas in 223 and 308. Right now I’m thinking running of running them both at 18”. I only have a 556 can right now so will probably wait to cut down the 308.