Barrel contour/weight for Short well balanced rifle

Hello guys so I’m trying to draw up a rifle I plan on building. Im looking to build a 7mm prc off a tikka action im going to use a sticky’s carbon fiber sporter stock which is only 21oz and a 20” barrel. What I’m trying to decide is is what barrel contour I plan on going with Mcgowen and was thinking of doing a 5 or #6 contour but I’m having a hard time figuring up weights on a 20” barrel. I’m looking for something around 7.5-8 pounds bare rifle and I know it would take a pretty good sized barrel to get that weight with such a light stock. I have come to appreciate a little more weight for shootability and a good balance! If any of you have any ideas on barrel weights in that range I’d appreciate it! Stock 21oz
Action 30oz
With a 4.5lb barrel that would put me around 7.8 pounds so from what I can gather that would be around a #6 in that length?
Another thing if somebody has had issues with a very light stock and heavy barrel before let me know because I don’t think I’ve had a set up quite like this one before. Thanks!

With a 21 ounce stock and such a heavy barrel I think it will be oddly balanced out front/high but your weight and contour seems about right to me

OP
C
With a 21 ounce stock and such a heavy barrel I think it will be oddly balanced out front/high but your weight and contour seems about right to me
Yeah I was afraid of that, I would do a bell and Carlson that’s a little heavier but I don’t think the barrel channel would be big enough

my last 21” was a #4 with a standard mcmillan fill so if assume it came in around 35-36ish and the barrel right around 3lb.

Finished at 7.5 and balanced on the front of the bottom metal/front screw.

I’d guess that rifle will balance like 2inch in front of the bottom metal, but I may be wrong. Some people like different balance points

You could also drop down a contour or two and fill the buttstock with weight to even it to your preference.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
A 3B or a #4 is where I would go-Everyone is different in what works for them.
Are you adding a muzzle brake?
What kind of distance do you want to be able to shoot out to on the largest big game you will hunt?

OP
C
A 3B or a #4 is where I would go-Everyone is different in what works for them.
Are you adding a muzzle brake?
What kind of distance do you want to be able to shoot out to on the largest big game you will hunt?
I would do a number 4 if I could get it to fit in a bell and Carlson, and no muzzle brake hoping a little weight should tame most of the recoil, I’m really looking for a 650-700 yard deer/elk rifle but be stable enough to shoot it out to 1000 plus

I am probably in the minority here, I don’t have a problem with a light contour barrel. The two I have with #1 contour barrels shoot fine for me.

SDHNTR

WKR
I agree with a 3b. I have 3 rifles with 18-20” 3b’s and one with a 22”. They all balance great and are good, practical shooters.

atmat

WKR
A few things:

1) If you plan to suppress, factor that in now both for length/weight/balance/barrel thickness. It sucks paying for cutting/threading when you could’ve included that in your initial build for basically no cost. Or wishing you could thread to a specific pitch but not having enough barrel.

2) Go vertical grip if you want to shoot long range.

3) Read this: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/mcgowen-barrel-reviews.280921/

4) I am having PBB build a 16” in lite contour with flared end for suppressor. I expect that to balance really well with my Stocky’s.

First, I’d recommend you use preferred barrels over McGowan for the prefit. I had the send back my barrel and action to them because the headspacing was off on the tikka prefit they sent. My preferred barrel (24” .900 taperless 6.5cm) was a spot on and nicer fit and finish and shoots great. I have another Preferred on order (20” .750 taperless 6cm) that should be showing up soon.

Look at the .750 taperless or the .810 taperless.

Id also recommend the stockys VG carbon over the sporter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvey_NW

WKR
I agree with pretty much all the recommendations above, go with a stock designed for long range. I have a Bartlein #3 and a PBB .750" taperless and both shoot excellent. For the shorter barrel with some front weight the #3b or .810 taperless would probably be perfect. Barrel channels are minor detail, either buy one with a sendero profile and cover all the options or have a a gunsmith match it up for you. OR if you're cheap like me, take your time with a carbide dremel bit, a few different grits of sandpaper, and a strip of sockets, and go to town.

I had a tikka with a varmint barrel that was cut back to 20” that balanced really well-Total weight was right at 8 lbs.

The tikka varmint contour is very similar to the marksman contour offered by some barrel makers.

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
BTDT...bought the stocky's stock when they first released it. Put in my 20" tikka 22-250 sporter barrel action and it threw the balance off being very bow heavy. Sold the stock and back into the factory tikka polymer stock.

Choose another stock or add weight to the butt of the stocky's stock. But then, why add weight to that light stock when you're trying to go as light as possible?

OP
C
I agree with others in that some of this will be personal preference. However, I think the vast majority of people will prefer a slightly muzzle heavy setup compared to a buttstock heavy set-up. I prefer my set-ups to balance a couple inches forward of the magazine well. That way, I'm not fighting the rifle when I throw in on a tripod, rock, fence post/rail, tree stump/limb, etc.

For a steel 20" barrel, I would go with a bartlein #3b contour, which is everyone else's #5 approximately. This will also give you enough barrel to properly thread for a suppressor in the future. My stocks/chassis are usually a little heavier than the one you are considering. Going with a carbon fiber wrapped or a custom contoured steel that flares at the muzzle could help the balance a little bit.

I know you didn't ask, but being that this is the "long range" forum, I'd strongly recommend that you reconsider your stock choice. A sporter stock with a low comb, open grip, and angled forend is literally the opposite of everything you want to accommodate proper fundamentals and consistency. A higher flat comb/high heel (no monte carlo stocks), more vertical grip that is adequately far from the trigger, and a forend that is parallel with the bore is what you want - preferably adjustable everything (comb, LOP, buttpad cant & height, grip location, etc), but that adds weight. You should consider stocks like a Manners EH-1 & LRH (or similar), or something like an MDT HNT26 or XLR Element 4.0

Also, here's a barrel weight calculator that's been relatively accurate for my builds:
Okay yeah number 5 around .75 seems to be about right, I handled one of my buddys 308s yesterday and it measured .89 at the muzzle with a 19 inch a barrel and a lightweight stock and it surprisingly balanced pretty well for such a big barrel, And yes honestly I was just gonna try something different I have a mesa altitude stock I might end up keep using only thing I don’t like is there is some muzzle flip in some positions but not bad

OP
C
First, I’d recommend you use preferred barrels over McGowan for the prefit. I had the send back my barrel and action to them because the headspacing was off on the tikka prefit they sent. My preferred barrel (24” .900 taperless 6.5cm) was a spot on and nicer fit and finish and shoots great. I have another Preferred on order (20” .750 taperless 6cm) that should be showing up soon.

Look at the .750 taperless or the .810 taperless.

Id also recommend the stockys VG carbon over the sporter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I’ve looked into some of the bad reviews , I might change my mind on McGowan not sure I just hate the lead/ship time on preferred barrel is so much longer but i guess rather wait and get quality

SDHNTR

WKR
There also doesn’t seem to be too many steel prefits out there less beefy than a 3b. Is there a functional reason for this? Or is it just market demand?