Barnes tsx 450 bushmaster

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Not real impressed with the performance of these 250gn IMG_2525.jpegbarnes tsx factory loads out of my 450 bushmaster that I recovered out of whitetail the one on the right finished off my granddaughters buck at less than 10yd the other was over 100yd

grfox92

WKR
A lot of people love the Barnes TTSX and TSX. I would personally never shoot them again out of a 450 based on those 2 pictures. Especially one being at 10 yards with essentially muzzle velocity.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Bluefish

WKR
Unless they are designed for lower velocity, I would think the 450 isn’t fast enough for good performance. The common floor is 2000 fps, that’s probably a big ask for the 450. Add short barrel and distance with a low bc (.219), velocity isn’t that fast. Per Barnes data the best load is 2100 fps from a 24” barrel. Many of the loads listed are below 2000 fps at the muzzle.

rharbaugh

WKR
Not real impressed with the performance of these 250gn View attachment 639727barnes tsx factory loads out of my 450 bushmaster that I recovered out of whitetail the one on the right finished off my granddaughters buck at less than 10yd the other was over 100yd

What was the shot placement on these shots? I’m shocked you were able to recover a bullet from a 10yd shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rharbaugh

WKR
Unless they are designed for lower velocity, I would think the 450 isn’t fast enough for good performance. The common floor is 2000 fps, that’s probably a big ask for the 450. Add short barrel and distance with a low bc (.219), velocity isn’t that fast. Per Barnes data the best load is 2100 fps from a 24” barrel. Many of the loads listed are below 2000 fps at the muzzle.

I was looking at using this load out my 450 so I called Barnes last week to confirm minimum velocity. They claim it is 1,500 fps. I chronographed a couple yesterday out of a cva, and averaged 2,317fps. I’m pretty sure the max range was 175-200yds.

Definitely not impressed on the pictures above. Will be finding another bullet.

Bluefish

WKR
I was looking at using this load out my 450 so I called Barnes last week to confirm minimum velocity. They claim it is 1,500 fps. I chronographed a couple yesterday out of a cva, and averaged 2,317fps. I’m pretty sure the max range was 175-200yds.

Definitely not impressed on the pictures above. Will be finding another bullet.

I would look at the maker subsonics if you are sub 100 yard shots. Open down to 800. Got my first deer with the 500g in my 45-70 tonight. Quite impressed and it was a long shot. Going to range it to verify distance.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
OP better lock his doors tonight. The barnes boys will be on their way to shut this talk down and get him into a re-education facility! I wonder if they car pool with the amsoil guys?

The all copper stuff has been the primary frustration for me. Cranky customers (who wanted the things in the first place) complaining of poor performance on game typically the issue. Or the desire for unrealistic speeds with insanely light for caliber stuff. Regular cup and core stuff just works. Sorry california.

OP
Iowafarmer

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
What was the shot placement on these shots? I’m shocked you were able to recover a bullet from a 10yd shot.

Close range shot was right behind right shoulder looks like it hit bone to slow it down 100ish yard shot was quartering away hit back of right rib cage ended up in left shoulder

OP
Iowafarmer

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Right but these were factory loaded Barnes vortex ammo I would think bullet would match the cartridge