Barnes LRX quality?

Forget Barnes, get some Hammer bullets. They're far superior. And thus far have been very easy to develop loads for.

They have the same issues. I had boxes that were a round short and I had boxes of .277 that had a .260 in it. I didn't have near the trouble identifying that it was a different projectile as the OP.

Bullets to FFL wow!

Anyway, good to hear mostly good information about the LRX. I have a few boxes I'm going to try eventually for maybe next year in .277 and .308.

I thought it might happen this year, but it didn't.

nope, other than that's a first they've heard of it. but I haven't let them know it was the same for the other two boxes I just opened.
Are there 50 or 51 in a box? Sounds like they are using up a few off-speccers by putting one in each box.

I have shot both Hammers and Barnes. I personally prefer the Barnes. Why??? Because of a larger exit hole. If I can't find blood I'm in trouble finding my game I shot. I do not hunt in open county and need to be able to follow a blood trail. I have only shot 1 elk and 2 mule deer with the Hammers, all dead. But the .284 exit hole sure didn't leak much and took a long time to start leaking blood. To each their own. And to answerer a question, yes I have seen a difference and still do in the ogive in Hammer bullets. Ordered 2 boxes and then 6 months later 2 more. They shot different so I measured and found the ogive was different. Found out they changed/updated their bullets. That would have been nice to know up front. They still shot good but had to be seated differently than the others. I do struggle to get Barnes bullets to all seat consistently, working on that with my brass. On the plus side Hammers are very consistent on weights and ogive measurements out of the same box.
I use hammers and have killed a few critters with them. I love the way they fly.

I have the same blood trail concern. I’ve shipped them through skulls, spines, ect.. and so far have dropped 4 elk in their tracks, but exit holes are same as entrance, 7mm. If I make a less than ideal shot, I worry there won’t be much of a trail to help me recover the animal.

I use hammers and have killed a few critters with them. I love the way they fly.

I have the same blood trail concern. I’ve shipped them through skulls, spines, ect.. and so far have dropped 4 elk in their tracks, but exit holes are same as entrance, 7mm. If I make a less than ideal shot, I worry there won’t be much of a trail to help me recover the animal.
I’m a Bowhunter too, so maybe that’s why, but I never concern myself with a blood trail when rifle hunting. Wrong weapon for that, JMHO. Even a perfectly mushroomed bullet that exits doesn’t often leave much of a blood trail. It’s copper, and a gun, shoot ‘em in the shoulders to break em down and a blood trail isn’t necessary

late update: last week or so, my ffl guy calls me up and says, you better come get these bullets since my ffl license is expiring and I'm not going to renew it. I said what bullets, he said from Barnes. I said I wasn't expecting any. so I go in and see Barnes sent me a box of the .277 LRX. it was sitting there a while and since he knows me, he looked me up in his record book and called. score! well, can't say anything bad about BARNES customer service, they came through, they stand behind their word and product. just gotta give it time.

A while back, I had some Barnes 225 TTSX in .338 that had the tips a little crooked. If you roll them down a flat surface, you can notice that the tips wiggle a little because they are not straight. I called Barnes, and the CS rep said that they found the slightly crooked tip, or even a missing tip will not affect the accuracy or performance of the bullet on game. He sent me a free box of bullets for my trouble, and told me to keep the crooked ones.
I loaded the "crooked tip" bullets, marked them as such on the box. When I went to the range, there was no difference in the accuracy of the crooked tip bullets. I haven't had any with the tips that were broken off such as OP. I'm thinking that it could be the result of rough handling during shipment.

Last edited:
Back