Barefoot Style Steel Toes

RepeatPete

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure there’s more guys like me on here that have to wear steel toes all day, so I wanted to throw this out as an FYI.

I noticed that Jim Green boots from South Africa had both a steel toe model and a barefoot boot model in their lineup. I reached out to them to ask about combining the two and illustrated the lack of good options and the interest shown online. They responded in early June stating that they had received the lasts and were making a few samples to make sure everything worked as planned.

They said that the barefoot steel toe last would be added to their custom page by the end of the month, that it would be compatible with any of their uppers, and that the current lead time is 28 working days.

I really do like my Thorogoods, but the toe box is too narrow and pinches my toes on the side and the built-in arch is uncomfortable now that I’ve really started wearing barefoot shoes outside of work. I’m stoked for this and plan to try some as soon as the option is available.

Jimbee

WKR
I've been looking for a decent barefoot safety toe shoe. This is exciting.

GerGa

FNG
On your Thorogoods toes being narrow: If the Jim Greens don't work out, take a look at Red Wing King Toe work boots. I wear them for the wide steel toe because I need a very wide toe box.

This has my interest! My wedge sole thorogoods have been good to me but I’d be willing to try a boot like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On your Thorogoods toes being narrow: If the Jim Greens don't work out, take a look at Red Wing King Toe work boots. I wear them for the wide steel toe because I need a very wide toe box.
There no such thing as a RW King Toes steel toe; the entire series is non-metallic aka NMT.

I’m sure there’s more guys like me on here that have to wear steel toes all day, so I wanted to throw this out as an FYI.

I noticed that Jim Green boots from South Africa had both a steel toe model and a barefoot boot model in their lineup. I reached out to them to ask about combining the two and illustrated the lack of good options and the interest shown online. They responded in early June stating that they had received the lasts and were making a few samples to make sure everything worked as planned.

They said that the barefoot steel toe last would be added to their custom page by the end of the month, that it would be compatible with any of their uppers, and that the current lead time is 28 working days.

I really do like my Thorogoods, but the toe box is too narrow and pinches my toes on the side and the built-in arch is uncomfortable now that I’ve really started wearing barefoot shoes outside of work. I’m stoked for this and plan to try some as soon as the option is available.
Wide Load Australia safety boots make the widest and most voluminous toe cap currently available. The have a phone order retailer in New England and you can get them on ebay.

Dave_S

Lil-Rokslider
The King Toe line really doesn't compare to a true barefoot shoe. I have a wide pair on my feet right now, and they are much narrower than anything I wear outside of work. Certainly better than most other safety toed boots though.

Dave_S

Lil-Rokslider
This is pretty exciting. I prefer a pull-on, but I would be super psyched to get any barefoot boot that I could wear at work.

OP
R

RepeatPete

Lil-Rokslider
Just saw that the barefoot steel toe last is now added to their custom page. The delay was too long for me, so I got a different pair, but excited to try the Jim Greens for my next pair.

SouthPaw

WKR
The Birkenstock QS700 is the best I've found. They are legit zero drop with a wide toe box, steel toe, heat and puncture resistant, etc. Wear them loosely tied for barefoot comfort all day. The insole is junk, throw it away. Get an aftermarket flat thin insole, or (what I did) use an old used set from some old Vivo shoes.

I had to order direct from a UK distributer as nobody in the US carries them.

Attachments

• 20240815_104243.jpg
    20240815_104243.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240815_104235.jpg
    20240815_104235.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 9

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
Thorogood also has the emperor toe models that are wider. Not sure how much though as the regular round toe Thorogoods fit me.