BAR MK3 - .308

Anyone else have one of these?

Having a hell of a time finding something that will group out of it.
HUGE groups 4-8" at 100 yards. with various brands of 180 and 150 grain bullets.

So bad actually that I was beginning to wonder if I had some sort of scope/gun/ring issue. I have deduced that either something is wrong with the gun/rifling or it's just that picky in ammo.

Interesting thing is that the Brass is growing .007 on the shoulder from the factory. Seems mighty excessive to me.

I have never owned a Browning gun that didn't group right out of the box, so this is puzzling to me.

I have a barrel that grows more than that, and have known many ackley a that shot fantastic growing a ton. If the chamber is straight I don’t think it’s a problem. Maybe I’m wrong.

This sounds like a gun issue to me, those groups are enormous. Make sure the scope mount is actually solid, bars have compromised mounting setups imo and they want to get scope mounts to mess up. worst shooting bar I’ve seen turned out the threads in the reciever were stripped and the mount was walking all over the place with every shot.

Ended up retapping it to 8-40 and having a pic rail drilled out to match. Shoots fine now

OP
MallardSX2
Very frustrating situation. The Talley one-piece rings I ordered are daylighted the whole way across except for the shoulders and the Threading on the receiver is super shallow and only allows for 15 inch/pounds. Not a flat spot on the entire receiver so that radius of the mount base and the receiver need to match up perfectly or else you will damn near need to epoxy bed the base.....

Talk about a poor design.

I'm a browning guy, but this is just pure disappointment.

I love bars, but it’s one of those things where you love them in spite of some super frustrating tendencies.

And yes. The best solution imo is to permanently epoxy a pic rail on it.

Problem is you do want to confirm that it shoots first. I’d try a pic rail and see if it mounts up better against the reciever. I’ve struggled with Talleys on my bars and don’t use them anymore.

OP
MallardSX2
The worst part is that the BAR Mk3 only has 4 little shitty screws that hold everything onto the receiver. Only 2 little screws on the front and rear. So, a Pik Rail might just be the best bet.

What were they thinking on this design on a rifle that cycles "violently"? Lord have mercy.

Had this issue with a 300wm. The best factory ammo I found was Core Loks. Make sure the sling swivel bolt is tight and that the barrel isn’t touching the stock. This was my first “big game” rifle, before I realized that you didn’t have to use a .30 cal magnum to kill elk. Although Ive killed a stack of elk with it, I’ve never been able to get it to shoot MOA with even 3 shots. It seems like the first cold shot is always the most accurate in mine, then the rounds start wandering. It sure is pretty though!

The worst part is that the BAR Mk3 only has 4 little shitty screws that hold everything onto the receiver. Only 2 little screws on the front and rear. So, a Pik Rail might just be the best bet.

What were they thinking on this design on a rifle that cycles "violently"? Lord have mercy.
Yea, the safaris are the same way but the reciever is polished for even less traction :)