Balance Beam issues.. RCBS

Luked

WKR
I have a RCBS M500 scale and it hasnt been used in a while.
When I set it up the other day to check it out it dosent balance for some reason.
With the weights all set at 0 and the pan on it it is way off.
Do these loose balance somehow?
Had a digital dispenser that I used at one time so this scale got moved off the bench. Have gotten rid of most of my stuff and now trying to get it all back and now this scale dosent seem to work.
Is there something that could have happened to it?
Seems like a simple balance but I have no clue why it wont balance at 0 now.

Weldor

WKR
Ditto. I have a few old ones that I had to add some shot to tare them. It's handy to keep a few pellets around number 6,8, 9.

wapitibob

WKR
There should be a screwed on cap on the underside of the included pan support. It is used to hold lead shot which will "tare" the pan and achieve a balance point with the beam set at zero. Use a set of check weights matched to your load, and then micro adjust with the "balance screw" that raises the end of the unit when setting up to weigh powder.

IMG_0258 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I think I have figured out my issue.
Just putting this in for anyone that might be looking down the road.
The M500 Scale comes with the Gold pan. I dont have that pan.
I have a different pan and it must be much much heavier.
I am going to order the gold pan just to see if that is the issue.

My 10-10 has been flawless since I purchased it in the '70s.

I bought a 5-0-5 as a back up and to keep the 10-10 honest. The 5-0-5 was inconsistent. I found that the edge of the damper spring (underneath) was contacting the the body casting. I loosened the screw that secures it, and adjusted so it floats freely. You might want to check for same, if yours is built the same.