BadLands Sacrifice

J-Daddy

WKR
I'm gonna need a new pack for a WY mule deer hunt next year, we will probably pack in and camp so I'll need something big enough to do that and pack meat with...I'm not looking to break the bank "and neither will my buddies who will also need new packs" and I can get a Badlands Sacrifice for just under $200 "new"...I don't get to hunt out west enough to justify a really high dollar pack so what's everyone think about the Sacrifice for a back country mule deer hunt????

cmeier117

WKR
At that price I don't think you can go wrong with it. It is not a load hauler by any means and I wouldn't want to carry more than 50lbs in it for very long. I think it would work okay for carrying out the first load of meat. You need to make sure it fits you correct, I know that the pack is not adjustable for torso lengths. It is also super lightweight which is nice. Aron has used it more than I have so he could answer your questions better.

How many nights are you considering going for?

cmeier117

WKR
A guy over on AT posted this link, it is the Horn hunter full curl system for cheap. At around $220 this would be a better load hauler than the sacrifice and cover any western hunting for elk and such you would do in the future.

http://www.fairchasedeals.com/

The Sacrifice became uncomfortable for me around 40-45lbs. Other than that and some frame noise (easily fixed) it was fine. For something that will carry about the same amount of weight take a look at the GoLite Quest 50L. It will carry 45-50lbs ok, and you should be able to find it for around $160.

If you want something to haul a little more weight in your price range, take a look at the Crooked Horn High Country Extreme II (around $200), or the REI XT85 (only on sale for $200).

a3dhunter

WKR
I had the Badlands Sacrifice and sold it after using it on just a few trips. Very uncomfortable for any type of load over 40 lbs.
The main reason:
At the bottom of the frame the metal forms two bends in the metal like a 150 degree bend, those end up pushing directly down into your back causing the discomfort experienced by most people since the pack does not have a lumbar pad.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The sacrifice was a lemon for Badlands. I love most of there packs. But as stated above, terrible with any weight. I would look for a deal on a Blue Widow in that price range.

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
Cool, I think I'll pass on it...I'm not in a hurry anyway, won't need one until next year it looks like...I can get decent prices on the Horn Hunter packs through one of my distributors too, might go that route since they carry them...Gotta love dealers pricing, lol.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
J-Daddy, look for a used Kifaru Spike Camp or Late Season on the Kifaru Message Boards. Either of those packs will fit your needs perfectly.

I had a Sacrifice and it was a near perfect copy of the Osprey Atmos 50 and then camo'd up for hunters. As others have said, after 40 or 45 pounds it sucks. There is a reason no one uses them for packing.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am not a Badlands fan at all. My 2800 was horrible, especially after they push how unbreakable they are on the website, ads, etc. I had to send mine in 3 times. With the combined price i paid for for my 2800 and Mossback Bounty Hunter I could have had a G1 Longhunter.

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
How about the Horn Hunter Mainbeam XL???? It's like 3800cui.
I've used some of Horn Hunters day packs & fanny packs and they were nice.

zrider2

FNG
I bivy'd out of a mainbeam XL in 2010. I like that pack a lot. It is a tad heavy, but pretty bulletproof. I packed in gear for 4days, packed out my bull and came back for camp. Their packs also come in Predator 3D this year and it looks really nice!

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at a used Badlands 4500. I bet you could find find one around $275 or so. I liked my 4500 a lot but have up graded since then. Get on ksl. Com . They usually sell a few used ones in their classifieds

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
I would look at a used Badlands 4500. I bet you could find find one around $275 or so. I liked my 4500 a lot but have up graded since then. Get on ksl. Com . They usually sell a few used ones in their classifieds
Thanks for the heads up Matt...Yeah I was considering a 4500 as well, and maybe something from Eberlestock. With Badlands packs I can get a decent price on them new since one of my distributors carries Badlands, they don't have the 4500 listed but I know they can order me one. Same with with the Horn Hunter line of packs. With Eberlestock I'm gonna be stuck paying full retail or buying a used one since I don't have the hook-up on them.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I had a Badlands Sacrifice for about 2 months. REALLY wanted to like it, but it just couldn't pack the weight I wanted going in comfortably let alone extra weight of carrying something out. Give me the REI Flash 65 at $88 right now that is a 1/3 the price of a new one, 25% lighter, and hauls loads WAY mo betta than the Badlands Sacrifice.

Here is my Sacrifice on a snowshoeing outing looking for spring bears in less than stellar conditions:
IMGP0138.jpg

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The old 4500.....I hated it but used it because it was one of the few options for a while in " hunting" packs. I broke several sets of stays on that pack. I also know a couple people who broke waist belts. Either problem is a deal breaker if your on a hunt. Great warranty if you break something, but 5 miles from the truck with a 100 pound load it doesn't help.