Backyard Archery Backstop Ideas

dlee56

WKR
Seems like there’s a few threads about archery backstops, just wanted to get a collection of peoples favorites in one spot.

I just bought a house and the yard has enough room for a 40yd range. It’s a subdivision that’s surrounded by hay fields so I’d be shooting parallel to my neighbors toward one of the hay fields. I shoot mainly longbow but some compound as well to stay sharp.

What’s your favorite backstop you’ve used in your yard? Hoping to brainstorm something that works well but also doesn’t look like a pile of random crap. Thanks all

Wrench

WKR
I'm running the stall mats too, and I set my targets on one. I never lose an arrow low and no grass to fight with.

I use a stall mat as well. It's very heavy and requires a substantial structure to hang it from, but it stops arrows cold and can withstand prolonged exposure to the elements.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
My boss and I built a mobile backstop at the shop, it's four, 4x8 sheets, 8 inches thick polystyreen in a frame on a platform with castors. 16ft wide, 8ft high. He also hung stall mats down the back of the sheets just in case but you don't need them but good insurance. Boss and I both need "the broad side of a barn" at 50 yards.

LostArra

WKR
I assume everyone is referring to the 3/4" thick stall mats (Tractor Supply).
They are great for stopping arrows but not great for releasing them back to the owner when shooting a compound. I've wondered if a thinner mat hung loosely from only the top would stop compound arrows and be easier to pull.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I would bet a arrow would zip through a thinner stall mat. I have a short draw length, and shoot light arrows 380 grains, and on a hot day (with mat in sun) have had arrows come about 2" or so from the fletchings on the thick mat.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
Are you all mounting the stall mats on plywood or letting them free hang from a frame?

V-TRAIN

WKR
I had mine mounted to a 2x4 at the top only, i had it hanging from a stand I made, so it would swing and absorb some of the shock.

The morrell m48 is great. You can make the same thing if you want. The blobs could be good and sometimes you can find a shop replacing blocks. They will need a little work but are good options.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I actually quit using mine right before covid and got two 48x48 big boy archery targets. Their prices went way up after covid. I use life size duramesh mule deer and whitetail targets ($20, last a long time) and like that setup better. It's like shooting at the real thing, and serves as a backstop.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
At my old range they used strips of carpet probably like 2’Wx4’long and layered them on top of each other so when you shot into it, it was like shooting into the side of the carpet if that makes sense. They had them clamped down too so the stack was tight and not loose, honestly it’s pretty intricate but if you have a bunch of old carpet laying around it’s a good way to use it.
Here is a photo for reference, you can see the carpet layers on the side of the cardboard target.
66319772762__B42415B3-3761-480D-9B0B-3C264C77AE5F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
Thanks all, sounds like a free hanging stall mat is the way to go, also has the best chance of looking pretty good if done right.

Material list-

4- 2x4x8
1-sheet 3/8 plywood
Garden underlayment
2-king size sheets
1- 10×10 shade netting from HF
3" screws
1.5" screws
Plastic cap nails
White spray paint

A bunch of old clothes I found on facebook for $60. The frames are made of 2x4. Made 2 frames 48×48, first stretched 4 layers of old bed sheets, 2 layers of garden bed underlayment, then 2 layers of shade netting from harbor freight. Secured each different material with plastic cap nails while pulling super tight wrapping around each frame back to the inside. Cut four 3/8 pieces of plywood at 48×12. Attatch 3 sides to your frames, pack clothes in tight, then secure the top.

Best part is if you shoot it out, you can flip it around or remove the frame and rebuild the covers and reposition the clothes inside. It weighs probably 300lbs.

Legend

WKR
Material list-

4- 2x4x8
1-sheet 3/8 plywood
Garden underlayment
2-king size sheets
1- 10×10 shade netting from HF
3" screws
1.5" screws
Plastic cap nails
White spray paint

A bunch of old clothes I found on facebook for $60. The frames are made of 2x4. Made 2 frames 48×48, first stretched 4 layers of old bed sheets, 2 layers of garden bed underlayment, then 2 layers of shade netting from harbor freight. Secured each different material with plastic cap nails while pulling super tight wrapping around each frame back to the inside. Cut four 3/8 pieces of plywood at 48×12. Attatch 3 sides to your frames, pack clothes in tight, then secure the top.

Best part is if you shoot it out, you can flip it around or remove the frame and rebuild the covers and reposition the clothes inside. It weighs probably 300lbs.
Do you have a link for the shade netting? Or at least let me know what HF stands for...guessing Harbor Freight?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw