Backpacks as carry-on, largest?

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to figure out whether a Pintler or metcalf as carryon versus a backpack as “personal” item. What have y’all gotten by with?

I use my KUIU 3600 as a carry on all the time. A personal item is technically supposed to fit under the seat, so not sure you could swing a metcalf and another bag similar sized.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Airlines/FAA have published sizes for these bags. In my personal experience you can fudge the limits within a few inches most of the time, however I have seen people forced to gate check large backpacks and roller bags on full flights. Almost happened to me too but I was able to remove some items and wear them, and compress my bag down to fit in the rectangle they use to measure. (Was using a MR popup 38 at the time)

7mm-08

WKR
I believe every airline actually publishes the dimensions of the maximum size carry-on they will allow. Like you, I've wondered what I could get away with and not the published numbers. That being the case, I had a Kifaru 14'r on a flight a while ago with no issues. The pack has 23-inch stays and is quite a bit larger than published dimensions for the airline I was flying with. Maybe a case-by-case situation...

MattB

WKR
I have flown with my Fulcrum (7,500 c.i.) on a 24” frame many times and have never had an issue. I only pack it 1/4 full max and carry all my important stuff (personal documents, electronics, optics) in a removable lid in case it does need to be gate checked.

People WAY overthink this. IMO unless you are on a full flight/board late, really push the luggage size limits, or are unpleasant to the airline staff, you should not have an issue.

sram9102

WKR
The goruck Gr2 40L I used to have a was probably the best bag I ever had for a carry on.

tam9492

WKR
I just travelled to Mexico for a week with the Alps Elite 3800 (review forthcoming) stuffed to the gills. Other than my bow case, which housed some extra gear/clothes, it’s all I took. No issues at all as a carry on. Flew American, but I don’t think airline would make much of a difference.

I believe every airline actually publishes the dimensions of the maximum size carry-on they will allow. Like you, I've wondered what I could get away with and not the published numbers. That being the case, I had a Kifaru 14'r on a flight a while ago with no issues. The pack has 23-inch stays and is quite a bit larger than published dimensions for the airline I was flying with. Maybe a case-by-case situation...
I fly with my Kifaru 14’r too. Loaded to the max. It fits in the measuring box at Gate check. Best pack for travel/ hunt/ vacation I have found yet that fits in overhead carry on. I have used it on Delta, United, Jet Blue, Alaskan, and American.

I use my Kifaru Shape Charge as my carry on for every trip. It works out great and I’ve packed that thing really full and never had any issue with an airline.

Stone Glacier advertises the Avail as meeting the TSA guidelines for carry on. I took mine to Peru last year as my personal item, and a roller bag as my carry on, no checked bags. It worked out great, I was able to keep my Avail even on the small planes within Peru where we had to gate check our roller bags.

I've flown with a Kuiu 7200 with the lid removed a few times. That's as a carry on and not personal item. I don't fill it so full that it's busting at the seams and all the straps are cinched down and compressed tight. And, every time I've flown with it, I was village jumping and knew the jets wouldn't be full so it was no issue putting it overhead with plenty of space for others. I had a buddy with a FULL 7200 with lid try to carry on to a trip to Kodiak one time. They were not having that. He ended up taking the lid off as his person item and then put the bag in the overhead. But I have seen numerous gypsies boarding with similar bags without issue.

As someone else mentioned, assuming you already have a carry on, the backpack needs to go under the seat. You agreed to the terms when booking and so did everyone else. Don't be a greedy jerk and take up more than your allowed space and make other folks gate check their stuff because you think your stuff and $$ is more important. Now if you gate check your carry on and then bring a larger backpack "personal item" to throw in the overhead, that's fair game IMO.

People WAY overthink this. IMO unless you are on a full flight/board late, really push the luggage size limits, or are unpleasant to the airline staff, you should not have an issue.

Or you're on a puddle jumper and the overhead storage is miniscule.

OP
F

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
I wound up using a pintler, they never looked twice at it, buddy using a kuiu pack twice as big as pintler, he had no issues either

I've shoved a crammed 35l pack (Kanjera Caprock 35) under many airplane seats.

I guess it's my personal item? I hate shoving stuff in the overhead.

Edit- Including several international.

Last edited:

lucky333lucky

Lil-Rokslider
I'm at the Anchorage airport now with a stryker xl on 26" frame as my carry on.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
US flights no issue, international flights they made a lot of people check carry ons, because they were to big.

CCooper

WKR
I fly with my mini keg for 2-3 day trips, it pretty well maxes out the overheads, but hasn’t been an issue yet