Backpacking tent for me and 2 kids?

zacattack

WKR
Looking for tent recommendations for me and my 2 kids (ages 3 and 4). Preferably something lightweight that I could backpack into a spot. Needs to have a floor and fully enclosed, a lot of our trips will be in Arkansas and Missouri, so lots of bugs, snakes etc. and the younger one tends to wander around at bed time, so it’s nice if he can’t crawl out of the tent. I’ve been looking at some of the hillebergs, which are going to be overkill but wouldn’t be bad to have when they start going on more trips with the possibility of snow or bad weather.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
My kids are older but I went to a Seek Outside Cimarron. We crammed 5 of us in one for a night which was impressive but cramped. I use it in Pa during summer and fall without a floor without issues even in rattle snack and copperhead country. My wife refuses to use it though due to being floorless. They do have full nests available that would give you the best of both and in all reality it’s really hard to beat the weight even combined. Argali also has their absoruka which is similar and with a nest would perform the same.

Idagnome

FNG
I second the SO Cimarron. Got it for a late season hunt with the stove and have now used it quite a bit with fam both backpacking and car camping. It’s small/light enough that backpacking with it isn’t terrible and roomy enough that we use it car camping. 3year old and 8 month old, so there’s a lot of stuff. I got a good deal on it by reaching out to SO directly to see if they had any blems. The only thing I can find that made it a blem was a quarter sized tear in the mesh that had a patch on it.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the same boat as you and looking at the big agnes cooper spur. Bugs are an issue and if we are hiking in they are already going to be uncomfortable, I'd like them not having issues with bugs as well. I like the idea of the seek outside twilight with the floor but not sure how bug proof it would be, and really I just want it for myself but using the kids to justify it. Odd how that happens.

I think the seek twilight will work well for you for you. But you could get a hilleberg and probably weigh about the same. But you don’t get wood stove capability.

The hille Anjan 3 is what I went with and works well. You can add an extra pound and get the GT model, gives everyone a little more room for getting dressed/undressed, especially nice if y'all are getting wet or muddy.

Last edited:

C.payne

WKR
This year I picked up the Argali Absaroka for going on family backpacking trips. Worked great for the four of us.
I wanted something that was super versatile and wouldn’t just get used for once or twice a year with the family.
I will be picking up a stove for late season hunts and spring bear hunts.
Another plus is that the kids can stand up to get dressed.

Voyageur

WKR
I've been a fan of Tarptent tents for over 10 years now. Haven't used any of their 3+ person tents, but I would definitely check them out if I were looking for a tent that size.
Hope this helps.