Backpacking old dudes

Now that Ive retired from guiding we are doing more hikes into the Eagle Cap. Spent a week in there recently. 8 miles in to Reds Horse Ranch then branched out from there.

Attachments

• 7A3FFAD9-B176-4212-8F00-B1EE51B90AF6.jpeg
    7A3FFAD9-B176-4212-8F00-B1EE51B90AF6.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 19
I love backpacking but it sure has gotten tougher! I have gotten much slower on the mountain for sure. My son has been my main partner but he is in his prime so I have cut him loose to hunt with guys his own age. We miss each other on the mountain but he is able to get after it pretty good up here in BC. I have kept at it solo. This way I never have to keep p with anybody and go at my own pace. 80mg aspirins are always at hand just in case! Cant deny those mountains!

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
67 years old here. I haven’t been backpack hunting in years - decades. Air Force and life in general kept getting in the way. Quite honestly, I woke up one morning and realized I was 65 years old.

I’d done my share of hunting and fishing (still do, but it’s mostly duck/pheasant), but my dream since I was about 12 was to go moose hunting.

So it’s booked an 8-night moose hunt for October of 2023 up in N. Alberta. Will go in on UTV, then spike camp for the week.

I’m in the middle of a 3-day duck hunt right now up in W. Tennessee, and a 2-day pheasant hunt this weekend in SW Missouri.

mgstucson

FNG
I hike the mountains of AZ with a KUIU pro 2300. It has room for all my stuff, and the carbon fiber frame puts all the weight on my hips and legs, and the belt pad and the lumbar support makes it feel like there is hardly even a pack there. I mostly day hunt with it, but can occasionally need to pack out meet with it. I can load more on the system than I can carry, but I can carry about 100#. 63 years old and surgery on both knees from sports injuries in my 20's and 30's. I am very blessed to still hike any mountain that presents itself (still rock climb too), though I have learned the easiest, although sometimes slowest way to do it.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
70 miles across the Bob Marshall Wilderness (about 50 miles on snowshoes) a couple of weeks ago.

qLtx4JB.jpg

S3Tqdoe.jpg

IoVpCef.jpg

Q7NsHTK.jpg