Backpacking for under $1000

Weekender

WKR
Wondering where most would spend their money if they only had $1000 to spend on their critical gear. I'm not even sure that's a fair budget but is it possible? Think of a standard fall hunt with temps around 35 degrees at night for 3-4 days. Is it sleep, feet, or back that's the most important?

Here's the list

Pack-?
Shelter-?
Sleep system-?
Boots-?

Guessing these are the basic building blocks of backpacking please feel free to correct the list if I missed something.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
If you are only going on one 3-4 day hunt every year or so then there would be no problems going middle of the road backpacking gear and staying well within your budget. As the distances get longer, the trips more often and the duration increases, middle of the road backpacking gear starts to wither and get uncomfortable. If I were in your shoes I would invest in boots first and foremost then bag/pad, pack, tent. A leaking or heavy tent won't ruin a hunt as fast as blistered uncomfortable feet. And a slightly uncomfortable pack isn't near as bad as an uncomfortable nights sleep. That's just my two cents

Tent- SL3 $300
Bag-Mountain Hardware ultralamina 15 $120 @stp
Pad-Big Agnes aircore $60
Boots- Asolo Sasslong $130
This is what I have. That leaves me $400 for a pack on your $1000 budget. I'm gonna try to find a used MR, Kifaru, Stone Glacier pack on here for under $400 so there you go.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tent- SL3 $300
This is what I have. That leaves me $400 for a pack on your $1000 budget. I'm gonna try to find a used MR, Kifaru, Stone Glacier pack on here for under $400 so there you go.

Where are you finding the ultra lamina 15 for $120?

Floorguy

WKR
I went similar to Warren on somethings and didn't include sales or coupons so you could actually be cheaper

Tent - Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT $109 -Campmor
Bag - EE Prodigy 30 $170 -Enlightened Equipment
Pad - Big Agnes IAC - $89 -REI
Boots - Asolo Sasslong - $199 -STP
Bag - REI XT 85 - $289 -REI
Total - $856

With the remaining money you could upgrade anything on this list for example

Boots upgrade to Lowa Tibets at Shoebuy $315 with their 15% off coupon
or
Tent - Golite SL2 for 199
Pad - Take your pick

Rizzy

WKR
I would go high dollar on the boots. You have to find what fits your feet, keeps them dry, warm, and comfortable. If it ends up being one of the brands that can be found discounted then great, if not, so it goes. Don't price shop with boots:)

I also would put emphasis on a sleeping bag and pad. The Kifaru Slick bag is about the cheapest top end bag you will find. A neoair or BA IAC can be found on ebay at a discount.

Cabelas Alaska 2 frame pack; $170, I bought mine in the 90s, still have it, and it has carried a lot of gear and meat. IMO, underrated load hauler.

Looks like we are about to the end of the budget, but you can get to where you want sleep comfortably, kill an animal and get the meat out. You have a solid foundation of gear for years to come :)

Shrek

WKR
Tent- SL3 $300

This is smart budget hunting to me. All the items are pretty good quality reputation , well reviewed and shopped hard. I'm betting that with just a little patience and flexibility you will land an outstanding well designed pack with proven performance.
I've owned the Sassalongs and although they didn't fit me well and I sent them back I thought they were very well made boots at the price I paid ( $129). Not as nice as the Lowa Tibets I had at the same time but definitely not cheap Chinese junk either. Sadly , the Lowas didn't fit either :(.
Live2hunt , STP had the ultra lamina bags for most of the last year but I don't see them anymore. With a 35% off code and .99 cent shipping you can get some steals if you watch. I got my Primus ETA express stove at 45% off along with my Hanwag Yukons. I don't think I'll touch German leather lined boots for $154 again nor as nice of a stove. I keep watching though.

Floorguy

WKR
I would go high dollar on the boots. You have to find what fits your feet, keeps them dry, warm, and comfortable. If it ends up being one of the brands that can be found discounted then great, if not, so it goes. Don't price shop with boots:)

I also would put emphasis on a sleeping bag and pad. The Kifaru Slick bag is about the cheapest top end bag you will find. A neoair or BA IAC can be found on ebay at a discount.

Cabelas Alaska 2 frame pack; $170, I bought mine in the 90s, still have it, and it has carried a lot of gear and meat. IMO, underrated load hauler.

Looks like we are about to the end of the budget, but you can get to where you want sleep comfortably, kill an animal and get the meat out. You have a solid foundation of gear for years to come :)

I forgot about the Cabelas frame packs although I would probably go with the Outfitter series frame and pack or the Instinct Extreme for the better suspension

I started elk hunting with real basic gear. You don't need to break the bank to get started. I hunted the first ten years without ever spending more than 150 bucks on boots. Merrel's, Keen's, Danners. I would never go back to any of those, but I killed and hauled a lot of elk in the back country with them. My question is whether your total budget is 1,000, or is that 1,000 for just the items you mentioned?

If your total budget is 1,000 I would put money into optics, Havalon, stove, good headlight, etc... before I would be buying expensive sleeping bags, pads, tents, etc... I have a Marmot bag I got for $ 65.00 about ten years ago that has never failed to keep me toasty, and you can get pads that are plenty good for $ 50.00 especially if you watch for sales etc... When we are going light in September I will just wear my Badlands 2200 with a super small 40* bag,waterproof bag cover, and no pad ( less than 2 lbs. total. one of us carries a 10x12 tarp, and the other one carries the stove and fuel. We camp where ever darkness finds us. ( providing it isn't somewhere that will spook the elk. A great way to go for a three day weekend. One of us sets up the tarp while the other guy gets the mountain house going. Awfully nice to have camp on your back. It's less than 5 lbs. extra plus the extra food, but that isn't too bad if you choose the right stuff. Took out a first load of meat about 80lbs. each on our 2200's this year. Anyhow, just some food for thought.

OP
W

Weekender

WKR
I went similar to Warren on somethings and didn't include sales or coupons so you could actually be cheaper

Bag - EE Prodigy 30 $170 -Enlightened Equipment
Bag - REI XT 85 - $289 -REI
Total - $856

With the remaining money you could upgrade anything on this list for example

Boots upgrade to Lowa Tibets at Shoebuy $315 with their 15% off coupon
or
Tent - Golite SL2 for 199
Pad - Take your pick

This looks very close to what I was thinking.

Here's my list

Bag - EE Prodigy 20* $205 -Enlightened Equipment
Bag - Kuiu ultra - $349 - Kuiu ( originally was going to do this pack REI XT 85 - $289 -REI)
Total - $951

This is what I was looking at but wondering if $50 more into a pad would help? With a floor less tent is it wise to have a bivy sack as well ? As for other gear I have I've been hunting for awhile just added the over night hunting the past few years.

Floorguy

WKR
This looks very close to what I was thinking.

Here's my list

Bag - EE Prodigy 20* $205 -Enlightened Equipment
Bag - Kuiu ultra - $349 - Kuiu ( originally was going to do this pack REI XT 85 - $289 -REI)
Total - $951

This is what I was looking at but wondering if $50 more into a pad would help? With a floor less tent is it wise to have a bivy sack as well ? As for other gear I have I've been hunting for awhile just added the over night hunting the past few years.

if you stay with the XT85 or the Cabelas Outfitter you could get a Borah gear m90 bivy for @$85

the xlite is 8 oz lighter but not as warm and $50-60 more

OP
W

Weekender

WKR
if you stay with the XT85 or the Cabelas Outfitter you could get a Borah gear m90 bivy for @$85

the xlite is 8 oz lighter but not as warm and $50-60 more

Could go with the EE Prodigy 30* $170 would save $35 if that's a true rating on the bag. Would leave $85 for a bivy now which one? Borah m90 or TI goat Kestrel?

Floorguy

WKR
the 30* is what I put in my list ;) The temp ranges for their down quilts are really close don't suspect the syn would be different

I have and like the Borah.

OP
W

Weekender

WKR
Ok so to me it's looking like a pretty solid for $1000 setup.

Bag - EE Prodigy 30* $170 -Enlightened Equipment / Borah bivy m90- $85
Bag - Kuiu ultra - $349 - Kuiu
Total - $1001

Except I'm a $1 over guess I'll be looking for sales. What ya think?

16Bore

WKR
Returned Meindl boots at Cabelas:$190
Big Agnes Lynx Pass 1:$180
Air Core:$60
Used Cats Meow: $100
Dana Designs Terraplane:$150

$680

Used gear will save you boatloads...

Ok so to me it's looking like a pretty solid for $1000 setup.

Bag - EE Prodigy 30* $170 -Enlightened Equipment / Borah bivy m90- $85
Bag - Kuiu ultra - $349 - Kuiu
Total - $1001

Except I'm a $1 over guess I'll be looking for sales. What ya think?
that list looks fine, the only thing im seeing is 1. quilts arent for everyone...
2. buy boots from a place that you can return them to, even after youve got miles on them(backcountry, rei, etc)
3. i think id buy a used arcteryx or dana for 100-150 off ebay and make the weight up by buying a lighter shelter and a IAC SL. then save all next year for a high end pack.