Backpack Training?

ethan4895

FNG
I'm using a eberlestock j34 and I do squats and I walk about 10 miles everyday

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I started training and diet cleaning back in late February. Got on the MTN Ops band wagon in March. Lost 10lb and have been adding muscle and leaning up. In May a friend asked me to go to Crossfit with him... LOL thats been life changing! Recently I haven't had access to a box so Ive taken what I've learned about Crossfit and made my own WOD/METCONs and other jargon. I can actually do back and front squats for the first time in my life and I've been adding more weight as I go. At first I could barely do 25's on each side. Now I'm repping 295#! I have flexibility issues with back and front rack. But I've learned to modify and adapt using lifting straps.
For pack training once a week I'll load up two 45lb plates and a 35lb and get on the treadmill. For being in Montana there's not much for hiking trails right out my back door especially in Shelby where I work or Miles City. So last Friday I set it on hills and put on four miles. It sucked! But what I've noticed is with all the training leading up to this I'm sore and tired towards the end if the workout, but the next morning I can go again, not sure! The big thing right now for me with that pack is leaning to shoot the longbow with it loaded with my gear weight (about 50 I'd guess for a week). It's awkward but not bad in a Kifaru. It's awesome seeing other hunters taking their physical condition seriously and killing it. I think it's half the fun of hunting the way we do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You will get more bang for your buck doing step ups on a box or weight bench than you will walking on a treadmill on incline. It will work the muscles you will be using more so than the treadmill.

Either way, it can make for a pretty mind numbing workout.

This year i have been hiking 4 miles with 1500' elevation gain every evening with 60lbs...once a week 3 miles with 80-100 lbs and once a weekend ill do a 17 mile loop approx 3500' elevation gain with only about 20 lbs...i feel pretty good going into this season

njdoxie

WKR
This year i have been hiking 4 miles with 1500' elevation gain every evening with 60lbs...once a week 3 miles with 80-100 lbs and once a weekend ill do a 17 mile loop approx 3500' elevation gain with only about 20 lbs...i feel pretty good going into this season

That's crazy, you should be able to sprint uphill all day and dog the elk.....I couldn't do that workout.

Step ups on a box work great, but nothing beats just hiking the terrain with a weighted pack. You can substitute with a stairmaster, bleachers, etc, but its never truly the same.

You are what you eat
i eat clean
i ride a mountain bike with 20lb pack on 5 days per week about 7-9 miles, we have some good hills where i live so i focus on climbing them.
great cardio legs feel so strong when i am riding my bike a lot.
we also take the dog for a walk daily, 4 mile loop, usually i have 45lbs pack, i understand the thought of hurting yourself as some have mentioned, but my body reacts very well to the heavy packs on walks, i love the fact that now i can put that pack on and it feels normal to walk with it, occasionally we will go for a second walk and usually i do not wear the pack, wow i feel like i can walk forever, i vote exercise with pack even with nominal weight it will make a huge difference.
also do some weight work at the house and yoga and i am addicted to Gilad, and following his exercise routines, he is old school, and my legs can feel it.
nothing hardcore,
Eat clean......

I don't eat clean, I just eat. No supplements, other than Mountain Dew. I'm fortunate to have a job that requires me to carry a pack and work in the mountains. I can exercise, scout and get a paycheck all at the same time. It's also a 4/10 schedule so I have three days to hunt each weekend.

I started this gig in May and feel stronger and more prepared for this season than I ever have in any previous season.

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
I don't eat clean, I just eat. No supplements, other than Mountain Dew. I'm fortunate to have a job that requires me to carry a pack and work in the mountains. I can exercise, scout and get a paycheck all at the same time. It's also a 4/10 schedule so I have three days to hunt each weekend.

I started this gig in May and feel stronger and more prepared for this season than I ever have in any previous season.

May I ask what you do? Sounds like an awesome career whatever it is! Thanks