Backpack Training?

xcutter

WKR
I've been training for months for the upcoming Elk season. Curious as to how I'm doing compared to other guys. Here's what I have done and worked up to. Feel free to post what you do. I'm using a Kifaru Timberline 2 pack with internal frame. I'm hiking on rolling CRP fields here in Indiana. Terrain isn't to demanding. My fit bit and Endomondo app says I do around 1000 feet in elevation on this hike.

Started with 30 pound pack. 2 miles @ 45 minutes. Think I started in March. Can't remember the exact date.

75 pound pack with 2 miles @ 39 minutes 22 seconds. Last week.

65 pound pack with 2 miles @ 38 minutes 2 seconds. Did this last night.

Thanks for the help. Have a good season.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you're doing well! My training has mostly consisted of running in the AM before work and then carrying weight in the PM once it starts to cool down a bit (of course this is the hottest summer I can remember here in MA). I upped the weight in my cargo panel from 40 to about 80lbs over the past week (bag of lawn lime and bag of sand, ha ha) and I've been doing short .5-1mi loops each evening. I'll have to time myself today!

elkyinzer

WKR

This year after moving to Central PA I've been hiking this slope 3-4 times a week. Great to have mountains close to home! Started pack training in Mid-July, but I have been very active since winter and feel I am in the best shape of my life. My legs are already feeling good, much better than last year when I was recovering from a torn MCL. It's about a mile to the top and 900 foot climb, so at 17% slope it's right in line with where I hunt in Idaho.

I try to get to the top in 20-25 minutes depending on the pack weight and pace. Usually I go at a steady pace trying not to stop. About once a week I will basically do intervals, really booking it until I am gassed and then take a minute to recover, then go hard again. Typically I am doing it once but I'll do the loop twice or go climb another smaller ridge if I have time. Going down is what kills my knees, so I usually take a longer but less steep trail down. I have 3 or 4 much longer hikes planned, starting next week, to build up the all-day endurance.

I usually load the pack with a 25 pound plate and some clothes for volume, plus 2 liters of water which comes out around 35 pounds. Two or three times a year I will also throw a 50 pound sandbag in to get to 80 pounds. I see no need to consistently train with that much weight, by building up a good base I can man up to pack out quarters a few times a year. That kind of weight just stresses the joints and is in my opinion counterproductive to consistently train with.

Sounds like you are doing well.

For my workouts I typically like to focus on elevation gain (opposed to mileage) so during the week I wear a 25-50 lb pack and jump on my incline trainer treadmill set at 20%-30% grade and workouts will last anywhere from 20 mins to an hour. I will usually will try to do at least 1,000 vertical feet but will not always hit that if I am doing a short workout. This is super time efficient for me as I can just roll out of bed, throw on the pack hit the treadmill. During the weekend I try to get out to hike, scout and put on more miles. I am way behind on my heavy pack work (80+ lbs) this year and should put some of that into my routine.

PA 5-0

WKR
I see no need to consistently train with that much weight, by building up a good base I can man up to pack out quarters a few times a year. That kind of weight just stresses the joints and is in my opinion counterproductive to consistently train with.

^^^That's gospel right there!!

I train with 80 lbs of quikrete covered in duct tape. I go this heavy because I'm 275 lbs. Some say its needless, I like putting on a 40 lb pack and laughing at how light it feels. To each their own.

Cross fit 4 days a week with pack walk mixed in - started at 30 lb - moved to 50 but backed off to 40 due to some pain in my fore foot- last thing I need is a stress fracture 3 weeks out - also trying to shoot about 50 shots a day

I'm pretty lucky because I hike everyday for work. Anywhere from 6-10 miles on average all above 8500'. The pack is usually about 20-25lbs unless I'm carrying the chainsaw and it bumps to about forty.

I completely agree with building a base and not carrying a ton of weight all the time. I personally want to hunt as long as possible and carrying 80+ pounds loads for training will prevent that. Hell, I'd rather make four trips with lighter weight than two heavy trips, but that's just me.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was running steadily thru late July. Ran a 1/2marathon and have promptly slacked off... I took a 2mi hike with 50lb last weekend. I need to get back on the horse! Planning to work on core stuff too. I find some pack training near the season, esp. uphill, really helps avoid tearing up my legs too bad when the time comes. I get what folks are saying about suck it up once a year but when someone punches one tag and that gets hauled out (and legs beat up) it makes for slow going when you head back out to hunt the unpunched tags. A bit of training there pays off.

jtw

WKR
The only heavy training I do is with 60# step ups/downs/side. I hike with up to 40# usually less and run every day. Core and strentgh training too but not a ton

twall13

WKR
I do a lot of running and lunges throughout the year along with my core and upper body work outs. To pick things up a bit I've added in some other activities with a weighted pack. Been at 45 lbs. but may step it up a bit over the next couple of weeks. Mostly I've been doing squats and step ups on a chair with the pack on. It's a quick easy way to fit the extra leg workout in and workout any kinks in the pack but I really need to add a few more weighted pack hikes as well. I enjoy seeing what everyone else is doing. Hopefully I'm on track since it looks like I'll be doing my first Solo backpack hunt for elk this fall and if I get one down I'll have my work cut out for me.

sounds like your doing good. I hike alot with my daughter on my back, which feels way heavier then a pack with weight cause of how far she sits back. Granted i try to make her walk too, but she likes to scout for elk and deer so it makes a good way to get her outside and get me some exercise. I also do crossfit each morning during the week as well. I have had to get back into it after a lot of injuries. My only advise is work on cardio/endurance, even if its just walking for hours. I look at like this. its a half marathon every day of the season. Most of the time i hike with little weight if i can help it. Light and fast is always nice. But for out of state guys traveling and hunting hard for a week or more straight you better have endurance, cause by day 3 you will get tired and soar and people start congregating near camp or the road. The guy/girl that is ready to go everyday is going to have better odds. Most people dont realize that its not just one big event, its days and days of physical out put and usually a complete lack of sleep.

KMT

WKR
I ride a mountain bike, backpack in the summer and stay in descent shape. No need for me to try to lug around 50-80 pounds for no reason.

Cowbell

WKR
Good stuff here. I have been daily alternating 3 Mile runs/ 3 mile hikes with 40 lb pack and new hunting boots to break in. Any more weight than that and I have some unpleasant soreness in one of my knees from the downhill steps. No need to risk injury this far in.