Backpack Sleeping Bag vs Hunting Sleeping Bag

Hayman

FNG
Hello All
I am going on a hunt toAlaska next year. So I am doing research on what I will be taking with me. Ill be purchasing things as I decide what will do the best for the hunt I am going on. And then test the gear extensively before I go.I have spent about 6 hours on research on sleeping bags alone (on this site and others). Im the kind of guy that will buy once cry once. Also I am not quite prepared for a $500 bag.
What I have come up with so far.
20 degree bag
a liner
Down/ hydrophobic Down
Bivy sac

The question I have is there a difference between “backpacking“ sleeping bag and a “hunting“ bag? For example I have found the Get Down 20 for $180
and then the

MARMOT WARMCUBE GALLATIN 20 DEGREE DOWN SLEEPING BAG for $315​

I know this is not an exact apples to apples but they seem very similar for vastly different prices.
Thanks for your time in advance. And if there is a thread that I missed that has already addressed this please let me know.

zacattack

WKR
From those two it looks like the fill power of the down is going to be a huge difference in the cost. The cheaper one uses 550 FP which is pretty low and only has 18 oz of it. Basically the higher the fill power the lighter and more compressible the bag gets but it also gets more expensive.

Not familiar with either of these specific bags but a quick scan of the two and I see the less expensive one has 550 fill power and the more expensive has 650 fill power. Quality of fill power and materials in general will drive price. Most people on this forum will encourage you to accept nothing less than 850+ fill power when considering a down bag. Also, I don't think there is a backpacking vs hunting distinction in bags. But I think there is a distinction between backpacking vs truck camping. The features that make bags more suitable for backpacking will directly correlate to higher cost, things like weight, packability, fill power, water repellency etc. A good truck camping bag can be had for less money with similar performance because weight and packability are features you can compromise which often are the more expensive considerations.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm missing a step here. You say that you are a buy once cry once kind of guy. Then your next sentence is you aren't prepared to drop $500 on a bag. Those are contradictory statements. Good gear is an investment. You'll get decades of use out of a quality down bag, or, you can sell it after your trip and recoup most of your money. What is your "buy once cry once" budget?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JRMiller

WKR
I would personally would avoid the Sierra being thay its only 550 power, thats real low
And the Marmot is overpriced for a 4lb 650 fill bag
Going rate for something in that range is about $200.
There are a few decent 2.5lb 650 fil bags out there for $200-$250
Mountain hardware Bishop Pass its one of them. If you want to buy once and never have to buy a bag again, save your cash and get a good quality 850+ fill around 2lbs for around $400

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For bags in that class, just get synthetic.

I have a Marmot Phase 20, for 23 ounces it is a great bag, but it is not the warmest 20 degree bag. I got it because I found it on sale. It saves wieght by being a tighter fit and not overfilling down.

Otherwise, spend the money on a Rab, or Wester Mountaineering, or Ketabatic quilt.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hello All
I am going on a hunt toAlaska next year. So I am doing research on what I will be taking with me. Ill be purchasing things as I decide what will do the best for the hunt I am going on. And then test the gear extensively before I go.I have spent about 6 hours on research on sleeping bags alone (on this site and others). Im the kind of guy that will buy once cry once. Also I am not quite prepared for a $500 bag.
What I have come up with so far.
20 degree bag
a liner
Down/ hydrophobic Down
Bivy sac

The question I have is there a difference between “backpacking“ sleeping bag and a “hunting“ bag? For example I have found the Get Down 20 for $180
and then the

MARMOT WARMCUBE GALLATIN 20 DEGREE DOWN SLEEPING BAG for $315​

I know this is not an exact apples to apples but they seem very similar for vastly different prices.
Thanks for your time in advance. And if there is a thread that I missed that has already addressed this please let me know.

What do you want/need a liner for? Same question for the bivy sack. Are you not taking a tent?

I have a few quality down bags and quilts that I like and have used for years. For most of my hunts, I prefer down over synthetic.

But, if I was going to Alaska on a hunting trip I would use the Kifaru Slick Bag. A standard 20* Slick Bag will run you $357 and will last you for years.

OP
H

Hayman

FNG
From those two it looks like the fill power of the down is going to be a huge difference in the cost. The cheaper one uses 550 FP which is pretty low and only has 18 oz of it. Basically the higher the fill power the lighter and more compressible the bag gets but it also gets more expensive.
Thank you I missed that.

OP
H

Hayman

FNG
Not familiar with either of these specific bags but a quick scan of the two and I see the less expensive one has 550 fill power and the more expensive has 650 fill power. Quality of fill power and materials in general will drive price. Most people on this forum will encourage you to accept nothing less than 850+ fill power when considering a down bag. Also, I don't think there is a backpacking vs hunting distinction in bags. But I think there is a distinction between backpacking vs truck camping. The features that make bags more suitable for backpacking will directly correlate to higher cost, things like weight, packability, fill power, water repellency etc. A good truck camping bag can be had for less money with similar performance because weight and packability are features you can compromise which often are the more expensive considerations.
Thanks for the input
What do you want/need a liner for? Same question for the bivy sack. Are you not taking a tent?

I have a few quality down bags and quilts that I like and have used for years. For most of my hunts, I prefer down over synthetic.

But, if I was going to Alaska on a hunting trip I would use the Kifaru Slick Bag. A standard 20* Slick Bag will run you $357 and will last you for years.
I want a fabric type liner possibly. I will buy a bag and try it out but have a feeling that the way I sleep I will want a berried between me and the nylon of the bag. Bivy is for 1000% not getting wet. That is a major concern for me.

If your goal is not getting wet, you need to consider which region of this giant state you'll be hunting in (climates vary widely, just like any given 22%'ish size section of the lower 48 would have), the time of year, interior vs coastal, and the elevation you'll hunt. That, in turn, should determine things like your bag rating, ideal shell material, fill material, bag shape, and how lightweight you need to go (there's a cost and/or performance penalty for that).

OP
H

Hayman

FNG
If your goal is not getting wet, you need to consider which region of this giant state you'll be hunting in (climates vary widely, just like any given 22%'ish size section of the lower 48 would have), the time of year, interior vs coastal, and the elevation you'll hunt. That, in turn, should determine things like your bag rating, ideal shell material, fill material, bag shape, and how lightweight you need to go (there's a cost and/or performance penalty for that).
Late august South East Alaska. I think I was told 2000 feet range?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Late august South East Alaska. I think I was told 2000 feet range?

You might get lucky and have sun the whole time, but plan on being wet the entire time.

Down works (I use down when hunting the SE) but synthetic will be easier as it will not require as much care.

If not getting the weight advantage of 850 down, just get synthetic. Get a dry bag, don't trust your pack/raincover to keep your sleeping bag dry.

I have found a wool base layer and embracing being wet works best. With rain gear you will still end up wet, if not from rain than from your own sweat. It is still worth bringing rain gear, but don't expect to be bone dry.

It is worth getting a bag that will be warm enough without extra clothing. I don't think anything more that a 2nd pair of sox and underwear is worth the weight and when humidity is 100% nothing really dries and sleeping in your wet cloths just gives you a wet bag. Cold and wet clothes only suck for a few minutes in the morning, much nicer to crawl into a dry bag at night.

Be prepared to embrace the suck while enjoying one of earths most beautiful places.

OP
H

Hayman

FNG
Marbles thanks for the info. Can you explain what you mean If not getting the weight advantage of 850 down, just get synthetic. . I had planned on the dry bag also.
I am from the coastal Washington so I have an idea about the wet and appreciate the heads up on that front.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Marbles thanks for the info. Can you explain what you mean If not getting the weight advantage of 850 down, just get synthetic. . I had planned on the dry bag also.
I am from the coastal Washington so I have an idea about the wet and appreciate the heads up on that front.

While any down at 650 or above is warmer than synthetic of the same wieght, and down will hold its loft longer than any synthetic (i.e. a 20 year old down bag is still good, a synthetic bag will have packed down and lost its warmth years before that), but, down requires extra effort to keep dry. Personally (and some will feel differently) I don't find the weight advantage of 650 down to be enough to justify the extra care needed.

As an example, the Marmot you listed is 4 pounds (64 ounces). Some of that is construction, and bags with cheaper down tend to use heavier construction.

I have some Mountain Hardware Pinole 20 bags that when new where indead good to 20 degrees that come in at about 50 ounces. The Mountain Hardware Lamina 15 is about 50 ounces as well. Both are under $200.

If you do any serious foot travel, you will quickly want a lighter bag, so either get something great (like Western Mountaineering) or get something cheap enough that replacing it in a year or two will not hurt that bad.

A Ketabatic or Enlightened Equipment doen quilt would be a good option for the temps you will see. Not cheap, but lighter and cheaper than an equivalent bag. An EE Revelation 20 degree will run you $300 and come in at 22 or so ounces. Quilt or bag, a good sleeping pad is needed.

Yes, being from Coastal WA you should be better prepared than most.

tdot

WKR
This was already touched on, but I honestly dont see the point of Down if you aren't purchasing something that is atleast 800+ fill power. The new synthetic insulations are just too good now, that if you aren't maximizing the benefits of down (weight, packability) then you'd be better off with an Apex bag.

IMO longevity is the only attribute that the lower quality downs beat Apex. Once you hit 550 down, I'm not sure thats true either.

OP
H

Hayman

FNG
Thanks guys for the info. I guess I lefts some information out. I was not set on these two bags I presented. I just was seeing the hunting bags at a much higher price than the backpack crew. The reason of fill power has been pointed out to me and I’m starting to see the price gap. I am taking in all of your shared knowledge and still looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk