Backpack Problem; Plans for 1st Elk Hunt; Shoot me straight...

Backpack Problem (solved); Plans for 1st Elk Hunt; Shoot me straight...

Edit: My main purpose in coming here was to get ideas about my pack situation. ToddB solved my problem. Check out my post on the second page (#38) if you want your faith in humanity restored. I'll also try to update this thread on my hunt and definitely will after.

Been lurking for a while, so much good info here. I'll try to be quick and organized, but would love any and all comments, questions, advice.

My friend and I are hunting SW Montana (Beaverhead Deerlodge and/or Pioneers) from Sept 25- Oct 4th. I've never bowhunted Elk before, neither has he. We are 100% greenhorns, though both of us have plenty of backcountry hiking and camping experience. He won't be hunting, he's just along for the ride, wants to experience it with me...but I am the only one with a tag.

We've identified 3 "areas within the area" through aerial scouting. I was able to focus in on these places because I was able to sit down at a computer with an Elk biologist that lives in the area. He pointed my nose in the right direction and gave me great info on elk patterns, he's been working there for a decade.

Plan: we are ready to hunt two ways...bivvy/basecamp and then just from the road.

We'd prefer the backcountry experience because we know the odds are so low of getting an elk...so we kinda want the adventure of camping in the backcountry and everything that comes from that. This is where my first problem comes in...

I DON'T HAVE A "REAL" PACK.

I am out of money, 100%. Two young kids, Graduate school, etc...this is a shoestring budget hunt. I've invested in nice boots and upgraded my outerwear, but there just is no room left for a new pack. So, here's what I have, and I was hoping people could chime in with good ideas...

Let me give you an example: there are two places where we could hike in (3 miles to one, 5 to the other), set up a basecamp, and then hunt out from there for 3-4 days, more if we find the elk.

I currently own a Gregory Lassen (4,500 cu) backpacking pack that I've probably put 200 miles on over the years. That is my best option for carrying a big load. However, it doesn't break down and once we set up camp I'll need a day/hunting pack. I own the Badlands super-day pack (1,950 cu), and that seems to be my best option.

Am I crazy for thinking that I can just strap the badlands onto the outside of the Gregory Lassen when I am hiking in to set up camp? Then ditch the big pack once we start hunting? I can't think of a better option for me, but I was hoping that someone could help me brainstorm ideas. Again, I don't really know what I am getting myself into, but I want the challenge and the adventure. The Elk will be the gravy on top.

My partner is in the same camp...he's got a backpacking pack and a day-pack for hunting, but not one that will work for both.

While I am here, I thought I'd run through my pack content so far? Please chime in.

Clothes:
Darn Tough Socks (2x)
Cabelas ICWS Mid and Polar weight base layers (will decide which pair to bring when I know the temps)
Cabelas Prairie Runner Pant
First Lite Chama Hoody (2x merino wool mid-layer)
Core4Element Elevation Jacket (puffy)
Cabelas Wooltimate vest (optional, will carry if its really cold)
Scarpa Mountain Boots

Camping:
Marmot Aura 2 man
Sol escape bivvy (2x, one for each of us)
Jet Boil
MSR ultralite camp stove
20 degree synthetic bag
thermarest ultralite sleeping pad
Small pot and skillet + minimal eating utensil
cyclops headlamp + good flashlight, several small clip-on camp lights
Wicked hand saw
1st aid kit
chapstick
3 liter hydration sack (x4)
Sawyer life straw (x2)
Iodine tablets
wet ones wipes
quick dry towel (2x)
camp slippers (foam)
TP Roll
Duct tape/paracord/food rope
trash bags

Mountain House meals + supplemental food/snacks

Hunting/daypack

Bow/arrow/quiver/bowsling +extra release
Rangefinder
Elk calls (bugle, cow)
Binos (10x30 zeiss)
Alaskan Game bags
knives (alaskan game knife, pavilion)
snacks/meals

Bivvy and space blanket will go in pack with me at all times, probably the small camp stove too.

The day pack when I am hunting is what I'd really love some advice on.

Ok, I am not sure if that is a complete packing list or not, and I am sure I've left some details off...the biggest thing is I'd like to have a conversation about my backpack issues...anyone with ideas?

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited:

xziang

WKR
From my research here:

I DON'T HAVE A "REAL" PACK. <--REI XT85 I think has been suggested on here before. Can be had at a fairly nice price and REI has a 1 yr return policy. just saying..

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
Flatlander, I have a Kifaru timberline 3. I would be willing to let you and your friend borrow it for your 1st hunt. It is 3700 cubic inches. All I ask is reimburse me for shipping to you, clean up best you can and get pack back to me by October 18 for my hunt. I believe in paying it forward and rokslide has been great to me. Pm me your address and will send tomorrow. Toddb.

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a pack frame with my superday attached for my first back country experience. It was tight on space and I may have looked a bit like a carney headed up the mountain but I made it work. The superday ways under 4#'s so not that much more weight for the distance you are packing in. Like Justin said, I also don't think there is any reason the other pack might not work out by itself.

Toddb... super generous offer!

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Rock what you got. My brother and I have been backcountry archery hunting bivvy style for the past 5 seasons and I shelled out a bunch of cash for a mystery ranch and he rocks a Gregory (can't remember the model) but he use to stuff a small day pack in it for going into camp then ditch the big pack, now he just brings the Gregory pack and takes everything out and cinches everything down for day hunts. For the most part you will ditch the pack when getting into elk/stalking so don't worry about it too much. The badlands super day is a good pack for day hunts out of a truck but other than that its about worthless. I packed out half a boned out mule deer and blew every seam and broke half the zippers in the process... Leave it at home. Have fun and be safe!

wapitibob

WKR
Use what you have, you'll be fine for now. Hunt from the truck till you determine the animals are in there, then a base camp might be the ticket.

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried packing in a secondary day pack and will never do it again. Rock the bigger pack and if you don't like how it compresses down maybe try and pick a strap kit from somewhere that will help you make it smaller. I picked up a kit from Kifaru and it works great.

wavygravy

FNG
Just got back from my 100% greenhorn hunt too. Just rock the big pack as your daily pack and scrunch it down as much as you can. It's not ideal, but whatever. Frogg toggs worked great for me, although loud, I didn't move much when it was raining. Run what you brung and leave excess gear in the truck, you can come back if you want.

OP
F
ToddB - a little blown away by that kind of generosity. I'll send you a pm.

From what everyone is saying - and thanks for chiming in all who did - it seems that the consensus is to just run the larger pack and leave the super-day pack in the truck.

Can anyone talk to me about the location of a basecamp? There are areas where we think that elk will be (meadows/dark timber/ water combo), but I am not sure the best place to set up a basecamp in the backcountry in relation to that area. Any thoughts?

hobbes

WKR
A 4500 that won't cinch down will be a beast to carry around. If the Gregory won't cinch down, I'd probably lash the empty daypack to the big pack on the way in then run the daypack during the day unless you think you are really going to bivy out from your first camp. I ran into a guy doing just that on my way back to the truck during a day hunt Saturday. He had a giant backpacking pack and I think a 2200 strapped to it.

Camping in the backcountry is always a gamble on whether you blow elk out with camp. I try not to camp dead center of the elk herd and put some thought into where the majority of my camp scent will be flowing to, but I've had bulls bugling close to the tent at night before. You have to be reasonably close to water for your own use. I like to filter water into a bigger bag every couple days so that I can hang it at the tent then use it to cook and fill my pack bladder each night. I'll also filter into my pack bladder anytime it's convenient during the day.

Brendan

WKR
ToddB - a little blown away by that kind of generosity. I'll send you a pm.

From what everyone is saying - and thanks for chiming in all who did - it seems that the consensus is to just run the larger pack and leave the super-day pack in the truck.

Can anyone talk to me about the location of a basecamp? There are areas where we think that elk will be (meadows/dark timber/ water combo), but I am not sure the best place to set up a basecamp in the backcountry in relation to that area. Any thoughts?

I hunted SW Montana as a rookie in 2014, and went back to the area last year again. Going in I was convinced I'd be doing the bivy camp thing, but ended up running into Elk within a couple miles of the truck. I have spent 90% of my nights there base camped at the truck and hiking in every morning - able to be where the Elk were an hour before first light.

I would make sure you're into Elk before you commit to setting up camp in an area. One thing I came away with is sometimes you have to be willing to be out there in the dark to locate them by sound, and you have to be willing to cover ground until you find them. There are other times when the rut kicks in and you're just "into them" - but that has been a minority of the time for me.

I also did very little glassing where I was. Brought the spotter for the first day over two years and then left it home after that only carrying lightweight binoculars.

OP
F
I hunted SW Montana as a rookie in 2014, and went back to the area last year again. Going in I was convinced I'd be doing the bivy camp thing, but ended up running into Elk within a couple miles of the truck. I have spent 90% of my nights there base camped at the truck and hiking in every morning - able to be where the Elk were an hour before first light.

I would make sure you're into Elk before you commit to setting up camp in an area. One thing I came away with is sometimes you have to be willing to be out there in the dark to locate them by sound, and you have to be willing to cover ground until you find them. There are other times when the rut kicks in and you're just "into them" - but that has been a minority of the time for me.

I also did very little glassing where I was. Brought the spotter for the first day over two years and then left it home after that only carrying lightweight binoculars.

Thanks for chiming in, that is great information.

Here's the specific plan...I've got two areas I'd like to key in on. I am getting into the area 24 hours before my partner, so I've got a long hike planned in one area for that first day. I'll be walking in before sunup and want to cover about 10-12 miles that first day. I'll make a long loop and hopefully learn some information. Head to pick him up from the airport the next day and then our trip really begins, and if I learn good info that first hike we'll go there, if not we'll go to the other area. What would you recommend I look for on this scouting day?

I wasn't planning on bringing a spotter because I can't afford one, but I've also been told I probably don't need one here, that is good to hear.

So when you are hunting from the truck, are you just driving the roads before daylight, parking and listening for a while? And if you don't hear one you drive on?

OP
F
Just got back from my 100% greenhorn hunt too. Just rock the big pack as your daily pack and scrunch it down as much as you can. It's not ideal, but whatever. Frogg toggs worked great for me, although loud, I didn't move much when it was raining. Run what you brung and leave excess gear in the truck, you can come back if you want.

What are some things you took away from your greenhorn hunt that you'd want to pass on?

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
Decided I am going to mail out two of my packs for flatlander to borrow. He's a young family man heading out on 1st hunt and hey one extra hunt is not going to wear out my packs. Sending him a kifaru timberline 3 and a 22 inch ultralight frame with a modified nomad bag I bought on kifaru website. Basically a nomad with a camp bag sewed on to it. Should take care of him. Gotta pay it forward in case lightning strikes me tomorrow.

OP
F
Decided I am going to mail out two of my packs for flatlander to borrow. He's a young family man heading out on 1st hunt and hey one extra hunt is not going to wear out my packs. Sending him a kifaru timberline 3 and a 22 inch ultralight frame with a modified nomad bag I bought on kifaru website. Basically a nomad with a camp bag sewed on to it. Should take care of him. Gotta pay it forward in case lightning strikes me tomorrow.

In other words, Toddb is THE MAN.

I didn't know if you would bring it up, but Todd has offered not one but TWO of his packs for us to borrow. I've been lurking on this site for 6 months and got the feeling it was a pretty good group of people. I guess it is! Thanks for helping me out!

Last edited: