Backpack Month: Review of Stone Glacier's Sky 7400 + a chance to win one!

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My one real complaint with the Sky 7400 was the chest strap. It would twist slightly or come off the sliders if I was not careful with it. I'm not sure how this could be improved, but I was able to overcome the issues, it just required me to pay more attention to the sliding connections than I wanted to.

I don't understand the issues you are having with the chest strap. Almost exclusively, I have used the KRuX frame and various bags since mid 2013. It'd be hard giving up my Stone Glacier; it seems to be my lucky charm. I have been very fortunate to pack several animals out in 2013, 2014, and just recently a cow in January of this year. With my all my usage, what I call the chest strap has been a non issue for me. So I am intrigued by the problems you are having.

When you say the chest strap you mean the strap that roughly goes over your sternum and links the shoulder straps, right? Can you get a picture of the issue?
Its the sliding chest strap across the shoulder pads. Some guys have no prob, others have problems. Talked with Kurt about and he is making changes to the buckle for the future.

On the back side of the sliding buckle the hardware has a slit that allows you to remove the strap. This combined with the thin webbing caused my buckle to twist and turn. I tried to take some quick pics with my phone. Hope that helps explain what I meant.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've had the same issue with the sternum strap. The split buckle on the ends starts working it's way off the shoulder strap through the splits, and I have to work it back on every once in a while. It's minor, but annoying to do.

muleman

WKR
Its the sliding chest strap across the shoulder pads. Some guys have no prob, others have problems. Talked with Kurt about and he is making changes to the buckle for the future.

On the back side of the sliding buckle the hardware has a slit that allows you to remove the strap. This combined with the thin webbing caused my buckle to twist and turn. I tried to take some quick pics with my phone. Hope that helps explain what I meant.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks, Count me in the lucky camp as I don't have issues.

Isn't Kurt awesome at listening to his customers and quickly making adjustments where necessary.

Bighorse

WKR
I can hear that discussion on the mountain..... Sorry man! Your gonna have to carry all the meat. My packs broken. Just hand me you feathered friends bag and jet boil Sol and you'll be fine. If your too heavy I'll take your Zebra light too but that might cause my strap to twist. Hold the lite until I know it will handle the Sol!

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can hear that discussion on the mountain..... Sorry man! Your gonna have to carry all the meat. My packs broken. Just hand me you feathered friends bag and jet boil Sol and you'll be fine. If your too heavy I'll take your Zebra light too but that might cause my strap to twist. Hold the lite until I know it will handle the Sol!
I'm not sure I'm following you. If you are referencing the sternum strap, its more of a irritation issue than anything. Pack still worked just fine. If you break this pack I don't think carrying meat or zebra lights out will be your concern.. ;)

Where in Alaska could one try before buying. Essentially what I mean is make sure the pack fits the individual. Looking at new packs for the wife and i. Not many choices except Barneys to try out the fit. Thanks
Adam

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
If you're in the anchorage or fairbanks area there are a few around. I'm down in SE and they aren't as easy to find, but a few of us have them. Post up where you're at and I'm sure someone would let you check out their pack.

Hunt365

FNG
I've been looking hard for a new pack, thanks for taking the time to do reviews, it really makes shopping simpler when you can't physically put your hands on the products. This pack looks like it would be great for my next sheep hunt. Sounds like SG has outstanding customer service, that is something not easily found these days.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt365 - you won't be disappointed with SG. Kurt CS is very good. I have a 7400 and had fitting issues initially. I emailed Kurt and described my situation. Not to get to long winded here, but he sent me a large belt to replace my medium and after trying that out he determined I needed a thicker lumbar pad which he mailed out to me again. Now the pack fits fantastic!! It is hard to get things right when you can't try stuff on, so this kind of CS is very important. I just got around to sending the medium belt back to Kurt (I thought I was skinny, but I'm fat) and I took longer to do this than I should have.

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
Great review. Will surely be my next pack. Buddy of mine is running one and loves it!

For those of you that have the 7400, and run it in bivy mode for day hunts, do you ever feel like there is too much extra space? I've been looking at the 7400, 5100 and the Archer, and am having a hard time deciding which route to go. There really isn't a big price/weight difference between the three. However, there is a difference in C.I. in bivy mode, 7400 being 4500, 5100 being 3500 and the Archer being right in the middle at 4000. I can see myself using the bivy mode a lot, especially for day hunts/scouting. Thanks for any input you guys have.

muleman

WKR
For those of you that have the 7400, and run it in bivy mode for day hunts, do you ever feel like there is too much extra space? I've been looking at the 7400, 5100 and the Archer, and am having a hard time deciding which route to go. There really isn't a big price/weight difference between the three. However, there is a difference in C.I. in bivy mode, 7400 being 4500, 5100 being 3500 and the Archer being right in the middle at 4000. I can see myself using the bivy mode a lot, especially for day hunts/scouting. Thanks for any input you guys have.

I chose the 7400 over the 5100 because it was a very minimal weight difference for a lot more capacity. I have primarily used it only in bivy mode and when not full the bag compresses nicely. I would rather have the space and not need it, then need the space and not have it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
All right fellas and ladies, we're wrapping up Backpack Month in the next 24 hours. If you still want to get in on the Stone Glacier giveaway, it's not too late. See the first post in this thread for the details. Good luck!

Next on the docket is Camp Month- a month of focus on all-things camp. We have articles ready to launch on Tents, Stoves, Quilts, and more. And of course we have thousands of dollars in giveaways in the pipe, too. Stay tuned!