Backpack Fit, What Do You Prefer?

Curious how the seasoned backpack hunters like thier packs to fit/ride for maximum comfort and weight distribution?

I have a Mystery Ranch Metcalf and SG Sky 5900. I try to get most of the weight on my hips but both packs inevitably want to slide down a bit and I find myself constantly readjusting. I'm 5'11 and 170lbs.

Do you cinch the waist belt on your hips or prefer the belt above your hips and then adjust the shoulder straps? I've gone through videos online for both packs but just can't seem to get them adjusted just right.

jchamwv

FNG
I have an EXO and my waist belt is centered on the top of my hip bones. I'm 5'11" 190lbs. It may be that the frames of your packs just don't work with your torso. Watch Steve's' fitment videos at EXO and see if that helps.

OP
jstanton007
I have an EXO and my waist belt is centered on the top of my hip bones. I'm 5'11" 190lbs. It may be that the frames of your packs just don't work with your torso. Watch Steve's' fitment videos at EXO and see if that helps.
Thanks, will do!

Slightly high hip belt

Most weight on hips, some weight on my shoulders/back.

Also, I have worn a tool belt off and on my entire adult life, including several years of daily. I feel like that impacts what I'm used to.

Sounds like your torso length is adjusted just a hair too long. Packing meat last year I finally just stopped and shortened my torso length about 1/2''. waist belt stayed in place and pack rode like a dream after that. I find I really need to pay attention to what my pack is doing to get it adjusted perfect. I subconciously hunch my shoulders and lean forward and wonder why my belt eventually slides down for months training before I try adjusting things. After I adjust and it works /fits amazing I wonder why it took so long.

OP
jstanton007
I'll try shortening the torso length. I too find myself hunching my shoulders and leaning forward. I've to remind myself to straighten up.

I like it to ride just higher than center, I tighten above hips and it settles in perfect, every pack is the same in that regard for me

I’m 6’@160#

Above the hipbone. I have a big ol sqaut booty so its going no where. My shoulder straps have a tiny bit of space unloaded allowing a small amount of weight on the shoulders when loaded

I had the slippage issue with a wrong size belt on my kifaru. Not a problem anymore.

Tighten the shoulder straps (under armpits) amap then do hip belt and load straps. Want it as much against my body as possible. Hip belt sits above hip bone. Sags when it’s not properly fit IME.

Npike4040

FNG
apparently i've been wearing my pack all wrong. I've got it down around where my belt is on my waist but it always pulls my pants down. So you want your hip belt direct on your hip bones or sitting on top of them?

BBob

WKR
So you want your hip belt direct on your hip bones or sitting on top of them?
Hip bones or hip crests? I think you mean hip crests (top of pelvis). I and most wrap the belt cupping the hip crests so roughly centered over the crests. How exactly it cups the hip crests depends on how the belt is designed. Many belts I'd say are ~1/3rd above the crest and ~2/3rds below rather than 50/50.

Npike4040

FNG
Hip bones or hip crests? I think you mean hip crests (top of pelvis). I and most wrap the belt cupping the hip crests so roughly centered over the crests. How exactly it cups the hip crests depends on how the belt is designed. Many belts I'd say are ~1/3rd above the crest and ~2/3rds below rather than 50/50.
i reckon i need to learn more about hip anatomy cause i sure dont know the difference haha