Backpack Elk

fftank21

FNG
Trying to do a solo hunt backpack hunt in Idaho next year and looking for any advice on good units to try. I’ve read a ton of posts and understand people are everywhere and requires a lot of time to figure it out. Just looking for anyone that might know hard to access spots. Interested in hiking in up to 15 miles if need be. Can email me at [email protected] is that’s easier. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

OP
F

fftank21

FNG
Don’t know if you’re busting my balls or being serious. Haha. But by 15 miles i mean going in 15 miles to set up camp and then branch out from there each day which is probably 15 miles a day just trying to find them.

OP
F

fftank21

FNG
That’s really where my question comes in. Everything I see isn’t even big enough to go that deep without hitting another road. Trying to find out if there’s any places that it’s even possible.

The better question: how can I learn relevant information to decide where to want? The answer: Idfg website and biologists and google earth.

More important than where is how. I’d learn elk hunting and elk habits most of all.

Backpack hunting is all the rage but a good hunter will do well on day hunts.

Brendan

WKR
That’s really where my question comes in. Everything I see isn’t even big enough to go that deep without hitting another road. Trying to find out if there’s any places that it’s even possible.
Frank Church maybe? Might not find any Elk, and wouldnt be able to get one out without help, but you'll probably find solitude. Better question is why????

Better places to hunt. I was 3.5 miles from a trailhead, on a trail, and didn't see another person for 10 days except a couple hikers by the truck.

OP
F

fftank21

FNG
Have you hunted before? Have you been to Idaho, or any Rocky Mountain state before? Would you consider yourself an outdoorsman?

Yea. I grew up hunting. I’ve done most of my backcountry style hunting in the Yukon and Alaska though. Never been to Idaho except driving through.

OP
F

fftank21

FNG
Frank Church maybe? Might not find any Elk, and wouldnt be able to get one out without help, but you'll probably find solitude. Better question is why????

Better places to hunt. I was 3.5 miles from a trailhead, on a trail, and didn't see another person for 10 days except a couple hikers by the truck.

I’m not set on 15 miles. I said up to 15. If I can stop at 3.5, I definitely will. Basically just trying to narrow down places where you’ll only run into other backpackers.

chops24

WKR
Ok thats good. i was hoping you know what 15 miles in the mountains means.

on the subject of how to get away from other people. Join the club. Especially in Idaho. The more time you spend on this site reading, the more you will realize that an internet forum is probably not going to be your best bet for finding secluded areas. People who have put the sweat equity in in crowded places like Idaho keep those pretty close hold, and for good reason.

I was just looking through my OnX for my upcoming hunt and it was pretty interesting as the top 3 places i plan to hit are all almost equidistant from surrounding roads and none are more than a couple miles in. This is in NM though.

i would do some OnX scouting for places that are away from roads that have cover, feed, and water, and then go put boots on the ground. There is no easy way to get these answers, and if some stranger off the internet was to randomly chime in saying "go to these coords, its perfect, has animals, is secluded, and nobody knows about it, i would be suspect about that information.

if i were you, these are the coords i would check out first: 42°40'38.3"N 114°26'20.3"W

OP
F

fftank21

FNG
Ok thats good. i was hoping you know what 15 miles in the mountains means.

on the subject of how to get away from other people. Join the club. Especially in Idaho. The more time you spend on this site reading, the more you will realize that an internet forum is probably not going to be your best bet for finding secluded areas. People who have put the sweat equity in in crowded places like Idaho keep those pretty close hold, and for good reason.

I was just looking through my OnX for my upcoming hunt and it was pretty interesting as the top 3 places i plan to hit are all almost equidistant from surrounding roads and none are more than a couple miles in. This is in NM though.

i would do some OnX scouting for places that are away from roads that have cover, feed, and water, and then go put boots on the ground. There is no easy way to get these answers, and if some stranger off the internet was to randomly chime in saying "go to these coords, its perfect, has animals, is secluded, and nobody knows about it, i would be suspect about that information.

if i were you, these are the coords i would check out first: 42°40'38.3"N 114°26'20.3"W

Ok. Greatly appreciate the advice. I understand completely on the level of difficulty elk hunts can be and understand that most people are not going to give up what they’ve worked hard for. Rightfully so.

jmez

WKR
Going in 15 miles then branching out from there another 15 miles. I don't think you have any understanding the level of difficulty involved in that on foot.

OP
F

fftank21

FNG
Going in 15 miles then branching out from there another 15 miles. I don't think you have any understanding the level of difficulty involved in that on foot.

I do. That’s exactly how I hunted moose in the Yukon.

I do. That’s exactly how I hunted moose in the Yukon.

Sorry, you’re missing something. Getting an elk out with a couple friends 15 miles in isn’t happening without stock.

Young guys in great shape can push into the 5-7 mile range for packouts. Some country would prevent that. Idaho is rugggged country. Anything over 10 miles without stock is just getting ridiculous for guys who aren’t world class athletes.

Last edited: