Backcountry Shelter Question

slbrija

FNG
Hey all,

Getting into more backpack style hunting. Looking for a shelter that will sleep 3 with gear and a tent stove.

Anyone have any experience with a shelter like this?

Looking forward to the recommendations. Thanks!

Hey all,

Getting into more backpack style hunting. Looking for a shelter that will sleep 3 with gear and a tent stove.

Anyone have any experience with a shelter like this?

Looking forward to the recommendations. Thanks!

Going through this same search right now as well. My top candidates as of right now are Seek Outside’s Redcliff or 6P Tipi. The Cimarron is a contender as well..just a bit smaller.

Best of luck.

Just bought a Seek Redcliff Light for this exact thing. Haven’t received it yet but fingers are crossed it does the job. I hear great things about the Redcliff. I’ve used a Cimarron and it would be unpleasant for three guys with a stove inside.

Seek has great options. I would not go further than them. Best cost for highest quality on the market right now. If you are ever interested I have just studied up on how to make my own. And its actually insanely easy and 1/5 the cost. We have had great luck with self made shelters so far and saved a boat load of money.

Seek has great options. I would not go further than them. Best cost for highest quality on the market right now. If you are ever interested I have just studied up on how to make my own. And its actually insanely easy and 1/5 the cost. We have had great luck with self made shelters so far and saved a boat load of money.

Hey can you PM me the info on the DIY tipi?

Hey can you PM me the info on the DIY tipi?
DIY Lifer it would make a really cool DIY post if you’d be willing to share details with the rest of us.

I have a Kifaru Sawtooth with the medium box stove and have been a big fan so far. Never slept 3 in it but it fits 2 6 foot+ tall guys with gear and wood for the stove comfortably.

It sounds like you may need the room of a 8-man tipi. Seek Outside and Kifaru make the best in the USA.
Yeah an eight man wouldn't be too much. We're going to run an Kifaru eight this year. Last year two dudes in a Sawtooth was too tight. With gear and fire wood it sucks up space fast.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have not used the larger shelters, but I cannot say enough good things about Seek Outside. I absolutely LOVE my Eolus and they are made in Colorado. Great company!

I made my own DIY tent , much like a lbo base-tarp-base.
It weighs 3 lbs without stakes and poles.
I am able to use 2 sets of trekking poles for the supports.
It is 7' tall and a footprint of 9x14.5 feet.
Would easily sleep 4, two on each side, with stove and gear.
Or two men with cots and gear.
Also installed a stove jack in it.

I love it for back country hunts.
Not only saved some bucks, but learned to sew my own gear.
It was a difficult project to cut my sewing teeth on for sure.
When my wife felt the material, she stated "NO WAY will you be able to sew that stuff."
She was impressed when I had it finished in a few weeks, just in time to go elk hunting with it.

Reactions: 406
I made my own DIY tent , much like a lbo base-tarp-base.
It weighs 3 lbs without stakes and poles.
I am able to use 2 sets of trekking poles for the supports.
It is 7' tall and a footprint of 9x14.5 feet.
Would easily sleep 4, two on each side, with stove and gear.
Or two men with cots and gear.
Also installed a stove jack in it.

I love it for back country hunts.
Not only saved some bucks, but learned to sew my own gear.
It was a difficult project to cut my sewing teeth on for sure.
When my wife felt the material, she stated "NO WAY will you be able to sew that stuff."
She was impressed when I had it finished in a few weeks, just in time to go elk hunting with it.

Any chance you can share some of your sketches, plans and/or pictures of the finished shelter? Also any material you used and why you chose that material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back