Backcountry power source

Trial153

WKR
Yeah, to clarify.. 2% for conservation is 1% income and 1% time
That 1% of time is invaluable. Ask anyone who has administered or sat on a nonprofit board what the most valuable resource they could be given and most of us will say its thr memberships time.

mproberts

WKR
That 1% of time is invaluable. Ask anyone who has administered or sat on a nonprofit board what the most valuable resource they could be given and most of us will say its thr memberships time.

Yeah, to clarify.. I was in no way belittling their contribution. I'm a big supporter of companies that go that route.

104TN

FNG
Liitokala Lii-100 charger + (1) Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500 mAh Li-ion battery per day + BigBlue 5V 28W Solar Charger.

Doghed

WKR
Anker.
Wife travels to the ME and Africa for work quite a bit, and she wanted some way to reliably charge her device and some other electronics. She has been using the 13000 for going on three years now. She has taken it all over the world and never leaves without it. I used to borrow it when in the backcountry. Now I have my own. 3+ charges on my I8+. Works well with my Goal Zero panel. $ well spent.

ODB

WKR
Anker too. The 20000 one (I think). IPhone, camera batteries, all good. I get about 6 full iPhone charges.

Marble

WKR
I have ths Anker 13000 and can charge my phone 4 to 5 times. I also charge my Mini inreach. I dont have reception where I hunt so my phone is on airplane mode all the time and only uses just a little battery if i am tracking through onX or through the garmin. I have the Samaung S9+ with a 3500 maH battery.

It's actually quite impressive how much it can charge.

A few years ago I picked up a solar charger called an X Dragon for about $12.00 and I'll be the first to say that it is typical made in China quality. That said, its the size of an iphone and if i bring it fully charged I get a about 1.5 full phone charges out of it and then I charge off the solar after that. The solar charger actually works pretty good. It has 2 USB and one micro USB port plus a flashlight. 3 or 4 years and it is still going strong.

I have several Anker banks. One is light and will charge my I phone about two times. Great for day hunts. I have another 20k whatever that will charge my phone at least 8 times as I used it during a hurricane power outage.

rcb2000

WKR
I've been seriously eyeballing the Anker model. Goal zero is a little too pricey IMO, it's a branding thing.

Amazon.com: Anker PowerCore 10000, One of the Smallest and Lightest 10000mAh External Batteries, Ultra-Compact, High-speed Charging Technology Power Bank for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and More: Cell Phones & Accessories

This has gotten really good reviews and they supposedly use Panasonic CR18650 batteries.

For the price of the 'name brands' you can almost buy 3-4 of these.
I’ve got that exact model, it’s great. You’ll get appx 4 full iPhone charges from it.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have had good success with a sun tactical 12watt charger and the Dark energy Poseidon. Charge the battery during the day and devices at night.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been seriously eyeballing the Anker model. Goal zero is a little too pricey IMO, it's a branding thing.

Amazon.com: Anker PowerCore 10000, One of the Smallest and Lightest 10000mAh External Batteries, Ultra-Compact, High-speed Charging Technology Power Bank for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and More: Cell Phones & Accessories

This has gotten really good reviews and they supposedly use Panasonic CR18650 batteries.

For the price of the 'name brands' you can almost buy 3-4 of these.

I've used this one extensively in the backcountry for the last 3 years- very reliable, relatively lightweight and not too pricey

I use Gaiagps on my iphone and carry an inReach, the Anker Powercore gives me reliable recharges for easily a week

n2mywake

FNG
My setup has worked out great for the past several years (I charge 3 people's devices)
I will make one change this year and go to the 10k miliamp Anker that I carry for my phone and gopro just to save some weight.

I have been carrying the Anker 20k with me during the day

Anker 20000mAh Portable Charger... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X5RV14Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And then have this 26k at camp for recharging.(has a led on it too) I chose it because it has 2 inputs for charging and my Anker solar panel has 2 outputs (it means I can recharge the whole pack on a good sunny day)

[Fast and Efficient] EasyAcc... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016DA61V2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Solar panel
Anker 21W Dual USB Solar Charger,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012YUJJM8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Just a note this stuff isn't waterproof so you have to get a little creative. I use a small sheet of plastic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’ve used the Poseidon for the past 3 years. It’s always gotten me through a week’s hunt, but I don’t think it will charge my iPhone X more than about 3 times. I was expecting it to charge it 4-5 times.

Before it I used an older Anker and it didn’t last very long either. I’m sure the newer models are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
I must have got a defective Anker battery because my experience with their product was awful. I ran a cheap Panasonic battery for years until it finally died on me. I bought the Anker and it died in like 6 months after maybe 3-5 uses. I bought a goal zero after that and have been running it for a year now without issue. Honestly it just feels better built and I like that it has indicator lights on it that give you a rough idea about the battery percentage left.

Get with anker customer support if it’s within warranty period. They have a great rep for helping you out. I had some cables that shorted and they replaced them lightning fast with updated versions.

Also, it’s good to use the batteries occasionally versus just letting them sit. Every now and then just use them versus your wall charger to charge your phone/iPad, etc.

mproberts

WKR
Get with anker customer support if it’s within warranty period. They have a great rep for helping you out. I had some cables that shorted and they replaced them lightning fast with updated versions.

Also, it’s good to use the batteries occasionally versus just letting them sit. Every now and then just use them versus your wall charger to charge your phone/iPad, etc.

You probably already read the whole thread, but it was aukey instead of anker... my bad.. corrected it in a later post.

ChrisAU

WKR
Paring down to a 12000 MAH as I whittle down the ounces...only need to charge my iPhone 2-3 times, headlamp maybe once, and inReach mini 1-2 times. 8.6 oz with cordage, Ravpower model.