Backcountry Caches

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you get the barrel? We get a ton of snow. Maybe above ground maybe better? But your setup sounds like it'd work. How did you get it back there; strap it to frame pack?
you can order the barrels online, I got mine off craigslist. we hauled it in using a game cart, there is a closed road for most of the way to were we put it.

Attachments

• 20150801_065105.jpg
    20150801_065105.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 62

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
Is this in a bear area? I'm just wondering if it would be bear safe? Also, does water in a buried barrel freeze in the winter?
Plenty of black bears in this area, so far none have touched it. This spot gets 4-5' of snow over the winter, the bottom of the barrel is about 26-30" deep in the ground. I don't think it freezes because none of the water bottles have ever cracked and broke.

When I cache food/gear, I just put it up on a 2 rope “PCT” style hang, extra high and well clear of trees. The “caches” that I’ve come across range from steel drums to just leaving stuff under trees and rocks: tools, wood stoves, wall tent frame etc that nobody could take without mules. The problem with these types of caches is that they end up becoming trash once the party stops showing up.
Hence the reason this is generally illegal on public lands.

Depending on where you are at, it may be considered abandoned property.

Am sure all the old popup blinds, tree strands, ladder stands, tents, food, water, etc all were considered "cached" at some point as well.

But what happens to your hunt if the contents of the drum were gone or destroyed? And if destroyed are you going to pack it all out and leave the area pristine or leave it a mess like so many others do?

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
I found a couple of pictures for reference, you can see that with snow on the ground the water bottle is not frozen, also note the DampRid canister on top to collect moisture.

Attachments

• barrel in snow.jpg
    barrel in snow.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 80
  • barrel open.jpg
    barrel open.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 81
If you are on National Forest land you can only leave things for 15 days legally. Granted, if no one knows it's there, then other than animals it should stay there. However, I would never leave any kind of food. Bears are experts at getting into pretty much anything, if you leave food, not matter how well sealed everything might be, if they find it, they will break into it, if remotely possible, and eat it. Bears are also very curious creatures, and if they find anything, generally they explore it. Meaning if they find a barrel, they will open it and check out what is inside. I have cleaned up plenty of other peoples "Stash" due to bears finding their barrels. Once a bear gets to it, many items are nothing but trash. I have also set-up my own camps just prior to the season opening (a month long season), and was unable to go back in right after the season the retrieve my gear. Most of the time, my gear is fine. However, I have had a few tents damaged, pads and ... I have had a couple tents destroyed.

Carefully looking at the spread out gear (it usually is once a bear gets to it), the bear(s) damage appears like 2 different things are going on. 1). Young bears appear to be exploring the damaged items, with their paws and claws and mouth, as in chewing some things. 2). older bears damage is usually less extreme unless they have found food. Simply put, older bears appear to be looking for food, and heavily rely on their nose. So they break into the barrel (it is almost always a 55 gallon barrel), pull a couple items out, and leave it.

I have seen the tops of barrels ripped off, both metal and plastic. I have also seen damage from the bear pressing on the top of plastic barrels. Eventually, the top of the barrel separates at a circular seam and they bend it open. I have also come across people stashes where obviously someone else has come across it and removed the top, leaving the barrel open. I have always put the top back on, if I find it, as I imagine the owner may be depending on that gear being there, considering where I have found some stashes.

I have also come across stashes of pots and pans and grill grates. My advice is to clean them very well, and bears usually pull them out and damage them if they have any food smell on them. In some of the places I have found them, I have used them. Generally, I clean them as well as I can, them put them back on the coals to try and burn any smell off, re-clean and put them back where I found them. These are usually popular pack-in places utilized by those packing in with horses and mules.

svivian

WKR
Is this in a bear area? I'm just wondering if it would be bear safe? Also, does water in a buried barrel freeze in the winter?
Depends on how deep you bury it. I would imagine you could find out the depth needed fairly easy by calling the county and asking how deep waterlines need to be buried for a well going to a house. That should tell you the depth below freeze line in the dirt.

Pdzoller

WKR
Public land = PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT.
Not trying to be a jerk but
1. It’s the law.
2. It’s part of hunting to hunt within your means.

I have come across old caches several times that people have left with the intention of coming back but never did and are now just garbage in a bucket. You never know what life will throw at you or if you will actually be back. If it’s private and you got permission then whatever.

rideold

WKR
I've come across a few stashes/caches over the years. Always looked like trash to me. I never disturbed them because I don't want to screw someone over but I can't say I particularly like seeing them around.

We have never done it.

FYI, if you are doing it on public land and you leave it for more than the 2 week maximum it can be confiscated by the public land agency. We had a full 10x20 shed full of caches we removed from FS land when I worked for them, up to and including a canoe.

If this is confiscated after a 2 week max, does that mean it's considered abandoned? Does that apply to tree stands and cameras?

If this is confiscated after a 2 week max, does that mean it's considered abandoned? Does that apply to tree stands and cameras?
After 15 days, the Forest Service can legally remove it (anything). However, most stations allow you to c look aim it. But claiming it may come with a ticket.

S.Clancy

WKR
Yes. We held it at the office and if it was claimed issued tickets. Some items are claimed, some aren't. Items not claimed were disposed of after a certain amount of time.

Five gallon buckets with twist on lids work great.

Sadly I’ve seen some “stashes” that resemble a homeless camp in Denver, plastic bottles, tarps, etc. Flipping dumps .