Backcountry bulk water container

Elkangle

WKR
I have a backcountry base camp that's 7 miles in, the nearest creek is about 2 miles away....in years past we've used old milk jugs to transport water but soon went to the cheap 5 gallon collapsed containers but you get what ya pay for and it seems by day ten there is always a leak...

I was wondering what some of you do for moving bulk amounts of water ? Are there products out there in the five to ten gallon range that are quality made ?

I was thinking something like a 30 liter dry sack with a spicket towards the bottom

tttoadman

WKR
I would hate to put all my water in one basket. It may not be the most economical, but if durability has already proven to be a problem, I would consider the MSR Drom or Drom light 10L bags.

colonel00

WKR
You can check out MSR Dromedaries or Dromlites. I don't know that they have them as big as you are wanting though. Then again, that's a lot of water to lug at one time.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I use the 6 liter Dromedary. It works great. Highly recommend it.

OP
Elkangle

Elkangle

WKR
Yeah its hard to plan for water, typically a gallon a day per person but depending on weather and cooking it goes more or less....about the last thing I want to do during season is spend time packing water so the bigger the better....the drom lights don't look too bad but would be nicer to carry if I didn't need/want 3 of them....one unit would be easier to strap in then multiple units

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah, I have a Dromedary 10L, it comes with a double lid, large opening and a small with a little flip valve like on your wind detector bottle. They sell a spicket lid also. 10L is the biggest! You would have to buy a few of them, they seem to be real well made! That 10L is a beast to pack full, but will be way better than those 5 gallon suckers you mentioned! I bought mine at REI.

Yeah, I have a Dromedary 10L, it comes with a double lid, large opening and a small with a little flip valve like on your wind detector bottle. They sell a spicket lid also. 10L is the biggest! You would have to buy a few of them, they seem to be real well made! That 10L is a beast to pack full, but will be way better than those 5 gallon suckers you mentioned! I bought mine at REI.
I second the MSR Dromedary solution. That's what I use in the Hells Canyon country.

Yeah its hard to plan for water, typically a gallon a day per person but depending on weather and cooking it goes more or less....about the last thing I want to do during season is spend time packing water so the bigger the better....the drom lights don't look too bad but would be nicer to carry if I didn't need/want 3 of them....one unit would be easier to strap in then multiple units

Elkangle, using 2-4 of the 10L water reservoirs seems to be your best bet. Two would give you five gallons and four would give you ten gallons. If you think that it will be hard lashing them to your pack individually then just put them in a large waterproof bag and lash the waterproof bag to your pack or frame. They should also make it easier to get the weight closer to your back and center of gravity than those cube shaped five gallon containers.

inupiat1

FNG
You might look at the Swiss Army Water Bag (20L). Pretty heavy duty and priced around $20 on a major online retailer that delivers in 2 days or less and probably from surplus dealers.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

OP
Elkangle

Elkangle

WKR
Thanks ! I might give that a try....spending a couple hundred on msr products sounds inviting and all but these look alil more in my price range....i found a pretty sweet hard plastic cubic jug that I got that I think should take care of durablity problems...but isn't so great for pack ability

Il give the Swiss and the hard plastic jug ago and see how that goes....hopefully we don't get more then 4 people in camp at once !

If you have to pack all this water in then what are the elk drinking? I don't mean to sound like an ass but curious to hear the thought process hunting where there isn't any water sources for the game animals.

molon labe, mrbill

OP
Elkangle

Elkangle

WKR
There's lots of water for the elk, what's convenient for an elk to get water and what's convenient for a human to get water are two different things...if you limit your self to only the places with human convenient water, your really shooting your self in the foot

Just my opinion

Last edited: