Back to the Henrys

So, 3 years ago I drew a Henrys deer tag. I did a thread on that hunt. This year my wife drew the same tag so its back to the Henrys. I'm not going to do the same write up as last time but I will post up some stuff here. Heading out tomorrow for a scouting trip. If you're wondering how the Henrys is looking, I will post up pics and how its going. I talked to the biologist yesterday and he informed me that they estimate 900-1000 deer on the range. This is extremely sad as there were about twice that many deer on the range 10-15 years ago. He did say that the average harvest age is still about 5 years old. Drought has taken its toll along with predators. If you read my thread, I posted the post hunt survey and the size of bucks just isn't what it once was.

I do not pressure my wife to hold off for any size animals when she hunts. It is her tag and my priority is for her to have fun. She will tell you she is not even a hunter but a hunters wife. She participates for the time outdoors and to fill the freezer and that is enough for me. I am just glad she is out there. We will see what we can turn up and what I can subtly convince her to hold out for.

180ls1

WKR
Hope you guys have a lot of fun! I was just talking to a guy who used to hunt it OTC. How times have changed...

OP
MuleyFever
Noticeably less deer than 3 years ago. Also noticeably more does and fawns so that's good. Saw a good one this morning that looked a lot like the one I killed on the same ridge. Saw a young 5x6, not including the brows too. That's on my regular camera so I'll share that one later.
20240831_175907.jpg

OP
MuleyFever
Saw a bison this morning which was really cool. For those that don't know, the bison here are one of the only free range and genetically pure bison herds.

Also, I was surprised how skittish he was. He saw us and took off. Definitely not a Yellowstone bison.

Last edited:

TXCO

WKR
Loved your last thread. Good luck to your wife!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JNDEER

WKR
Love the pics.

Scouting looks promising for whatever caliber of deer your wife wants to take.