Back country rifle build

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never built a rifle but have been interested in it and think it’s time to pull the trigger (pun kind of intended). Pretty much always had Savages. I own an older model 16 in .325wsm that I love but it’s kind of too heavy, I packed it last year. This year I picked up a Kimber Montana in 6.5 which is super light and shoots pretty well. With rings and scope I’m at 6lbs 2oz. Ideally I’m looking to build something in probably .300wsm (open to other suggestions but looking for something that will pretty much work in all of North America). Would like to be able to take shots in the field out to 700 yards if absolutely needed. I know the weight is going to go up a bit from the Montana I have and I’m okay with that as it’ll help stability/recoil. Mostly curious/open to hearing what you all think on actions/rifles to start from etc. I’ve been thinking of a tikka t3x lite and putting a PROOF carbon barrel. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never built one myself so I dont have much constructive input but there are a lot of cool concoctions in the custom tikka thread. I scrolled through it pretty quick a while back. Almost like zooming through google images until something catches your eye 😁

You will get at least 10 variations but ultimately you need to determine all data points you plan on meeting.
* budget
*chambering
*weight
*etc....

Never built one myself so I dont have much constructive input but there are a lot of cool concoctions in the custom tikka thread. I scrolled through it pretty quick a while back. Almost like zooming through google images until something catches your eye

I didn’t even know that was a thing, custom tikka thread! Thanks!

If thinking of using a Tikka action you may want to contact Mike @ HCA. He has some pretty good build packages for them

Thanks man! I’ll look into that! Not necessarily set on that action but from what I’ve been reading they sound pretty solid. I do really like having CRF but that would drastically reduce my options lol

Before you go sending a rifle off to get customized I’d shoot it and see how it shoots first.

It’s what I’ve done with my t3x in 300short. It shoots great, so instead I’m gonna slowly build the rest of the rifle until only the barrel is left to upgrade.

I’m sitting at 9lbs with a Bushnell LRTS, 4 rounds and a HCA magazine. I shaved the bolt stop down as well as putting a trigger spring in it... I also had the barrel threaded for a brake and installed the vertical grip. It’s a smidge on the heavy side but for taking longer pokes the weight definitely helps with stability - and it’s not so ridiculous(like my 13lb 300wm) that I don’t want to carry it. I feel like 8-9lbs is the sweet spot for a longer range backcountry hunting rifle.

When the barrel gets shot out I’ll probably stick a proof or something on it in the same chambering... but before that I’m not gonna be worried about it.

If you have to scratch an itch and have the bucks, go for it. Set a budget, chamber/bullet, then weight and go from there. If you want to shoot 300wsm to 700yrds, there is zero functional reason to build a custom. Tikka will do it, no doubt. If you want crf then model 70. You’ll be in the 7.5 to 8.5 lb range.

go with the Tikka. If you want to make it weigh less then add the barrel . Most factory rifles in appropriate calibers are more than capable of a 700 yard shot . Honestly most are capable of 1000 yard shot .
I will say that semi custom or custom is nice bells and whistles to have though

If you have to scratch an itch and have the bucks, go for it. Set a budget, chamber/bullet, then weight and go from there. If you want to shoot 300wsm to 700yrds, there is zero functional reason to build a custom. Tikka will do it, no doubt. If you want crf then model 70. You’ll be in the 7.5 to 8.5 lb range.

I mean I definitely would like to shoot past that. But as far as hunting, I’m not sure what kind of effectiveness a .300wsm has out past that.

I was in a similar situation here recently. I owned a CA 300WSM and it shot very well. I wanted to build a fairly lightweight hunting rig with 600 yds being the longest intended range. The concept was designed for elk size game and smaller. I switched to a 7mm WSM for a slight ballistic advantage, Bighorn Origin action, McGowen barrel, Alterra arms stock, Timney HIT trigger. I’d say if you plan on chasing something larger than elk a 300 WSM would be a good option. If I played in the 30 cal game again I’d have a 300 win mag or 300 PRC for sure. The short action limits the COAL of the 300 WSM, if you have a longer action bump to a 300 PRC and enjoy the benefits of the cartridge.

I witnessed the performance of the 300 win mag on elk twice in the last week (on camera). The impact of a 180gr and 185gr projectile hitting bulls in that 150-250 yard range was brutal. The bull I took at 325 yards with a 168gr 7mm bullet was noticeably different. I hit basically the exact same spot but the bulls reaction was very different. None of them made it further than 15 yards.

I've been thinking about a backcountry build myself lately. Likely going to pick up a SA Tikka T3x Lite (6.5 CM or maybe .308).

Have you looked at CarbonSix barrels? Based on what I've read, they shoot just as accurate as Proof's and save a couple hundred bucks. More ammo is always a good thing :)

Back