Back country hunting rifle

JD Jones

WKR
I have a 280ai fft. It’s a shooter. My first trip to the range I was having some doubts. Heavy bolt lift/cocking, had brass flow into my ejector and the action was not pleasant in general. I cleaned the ejector held on through the break in period and I’m glad I did. Nearing 200 rounds and the action is butter, the brake is fantastic, I’m getting sub .5 and it’s 7.2 # with optics

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like your approach to this it's always good to consider multiple options.
Personally for the cost of a Ridgeline I'd build my own rifle.
I run a 5lb 10oz semi custom tikka with a 16" SS barrel chambered in 6.5 saum, it has an ultralight MPI stock which is how I got the weight down.
If you're wanting to go super light I'd get an anTi action, and go with an 18-20" light contoured steel barrel.
I'd also recommend a saum or wsm over the 280ai in a short barrel.
McGowen will make prefits for Tikka or defiance actions, and you can have a factory contour flared at the end for 5/8×24 threads.
Here's my ultralight tikka
View attachment 424641
And my 18" 7-300wsm with three in the magazine
View attachment 424642
Can you tell me more about your ultralight tikka? I was looking at McGowan rebarreling specifically to get the length I want as well as the ability to go 5/8x24 on a rifle.

Are you happy with the service? What was the cost and time associated with it? What stock is that? Feel free to PM if you don’t want to respond here.

Thanks!!!

tony

WKR
I've looked everywhere, only factory .280 AI I can find is the browning x bolt in a 1:8 twist, next closest is 1:9.
Handled the x blot speed a few times at a gun shop near my parents. I'm probably going to snag it. Its been there a months as no one has a clue what it is and its in big city Ohio among a sea of .350 legends, bushmasters, 6.5s and AR's looking real lonely.
Even weirder is this shop had a stack of green box .280 Remington ammo. Guess I'll get some of that as well😄