Back bar...worth it?

JK9897

FNG
I currently run an 8 inch bee stinger off the front. Switched to a tight spot and wondering if putting a back bar on to offset the quiver would be worth it. Is the weight too much to carry for a week?

I currently run an 8 inch bee stinger off the front. Switched to a tight spot and wondering if putting a back bar on to offset the quiver would be worth it. Is the weight too much to carry for a week?

I’ve never used a back bar before but I can tell you that I was shooting out to 70yds just fine last year with a tight spot and an 8” bee stinger as mentioned on your current setup. The bull I have in my garage didn’t know the difference either. Holding the extra weight at full draw in a stare down with a bull is no fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

JK9897

FNG
Thanks, that is my concern. The extra hiking weight and holding the weight at full draw.

It might not be a bad thing to practice with at longer ranges but in a hunting scenario it just doesn’t seem worth it. I’m a big fan of shooting at 70-80 for practice but in a field scenario I’d only shoot 50-60 under perfect conditions.

ckleeves

WKR
Since this is in the elk forum I’m assuming your asking for elk hunting.

I use a back bar for deer hunting because I feel I shoot a bit better with one and I don’t mind the extra weight because I’m doing more glassing and less hiking. For elk I pull the back bar though. Just to much weight and for the distance I usually shoot elk at (under 30 yards) it’s not something I feel like I need.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are running a back / side bar, you will actually feel less weight on the bow at full draw as it balances out your bow. You should only feel the extra weight when packing your bow around, which is probably an extra 12 ounces or so for the mount, bar and weights. It will obviously make you more accurate, but as mentioned previously, its an elk at potentially closer shot distances. So it is really up to you to determine if you want that extra weight verse the improved accuracy you get. I would get it, shoot with it and then make a decision on what the benefit to you is for what you are looking to accomplish.