B3 ranger vs scott longhorn hunter for huntinf

Hey gang,
I've been shooting a scott Ascent all winter and loving it. I can't say I've shot any release type better than I'm shooting this hinge. I have run index releases, buttons and true tension releases but I'm considering hunting with a hinge this year.

I love the adjustability of the ascent, but I'm considering a hinge with a strap for hunting. Having set a thumb button on a log and walked away I like the idea of the strap.

Anybody shot both? How adjustable are they?

Anybody used a hinge for hunting and switched off to something else?

What am I not thinking of?

Last edited:
I just put a strap on any release I hunt with. Doesn't need to be a traditional wrist strap if it's any kinda hand held, doesn't need to hold weight. I use some leather and paracord.

I have shot a B3 ranger a bit and do like that one, if currently shooting an Ascent I think the Scott Longhorn hunter is pretty similar and does come with a wrist strap.

OP
E
I just put a strap on any release I hunt with. Doesn't need to be a traditional wrist strap if it's any kinda hand held, doesn't need to hold weight. I use some leather and paracord.

I have shot a B3 ranger a bit and do like that one, if currently shooting an Ascent I think the Scott Longhorn hunter is pretty similar and does come with a wrist strap.
I found a used longhorn hunter for 70$ I kinda want to snag it to play and see.... do you still hunt with a hinge?

I found a used longhorn hunter for 70$ I kinda want to snag it to play and see.... do you still hunt with a hinge?

No, I don't hunt with a hinge. I hunt with a pretty basic release, SH whipper snapper.

Most of my shooting is done with one of a couple B3 versas or a modified B3 infinity pro. The modifications are just building up the finger beds to put the hook really close to where it is with the Versa. It has been by far my favorite hinge that I have tried.

My understanding is B3 is working on a hinge and thumb button that will be matched. I don't know if that means one or 2 new releases, of if anything will ever happen.

I don't have too much trouble tho moving between a bunch of releases tho as long as the necks are close to the same length.

I had a b3 ghost but i couldnt get it hot enough like i could like my ascent even with the hot moon and i sold it. i believe the ranger is similar. i really like the ascent as well.

I've been shooting a B3 Infinity Pro a lot lately. My first time using a hinge. I shot a pig with it recently and was then going to hunt with it again but I realised after a few practice shots that I broke the little hook that goes on the string so now I'm waiting on parts from B3. No big deal and great service, to be honest.

I like the idea of a UV hinge 2 or Scott Ascent because there is more adjustability with the click. With the Infinity Pro (and I imagine a lot of similar releases) you can adjust when you want it to click but then the distance from click to fire is always going to be set the same. I like the idea of trying to get the click a little hotter but have some more travel from click to fire if possible.

OP
E
No, I don't hunt with a hinge. I hunt with a pretty basic release, SH whipper snapper.

Most of my shooting is done with one of a couple B3 versas or a modified B3 infinity pro. The modifications are just building up the finger beds to put the hook really close to where it is with the Versa. It has been by far my favorite hinge that I have tried.

My understanding is B3 is working on a hinge and thumb button that will be matched. I don't know if that means one or 2 new releases, of if anything will ever happen.

I don't have too much trouble tho moving between a bunch of releases tho as long as the necks are close to the same length.
Same! I can shoot my hinge, my buttons and my index to same poi at 70 yarda. After that, my only poi difference is left and right. Kinda nice to be able to switch

OP
E
I had a b3 ghost but i couldnt get it hot enough like i could like my ascent even with the hot moon and i sold it. i believe the ranger is similar. i really like the ascent as well.
That's what I'm afraid of as well

Bumping this to add some thoughts.
I ended up using a B3 ranger for a bit while out hunting. When B3 replaced the head on my Infinity Pro they sent me one of the new heads with a magnetic in it instead of a rubber band, so when I decided to use the B3 Ranger a bit I switched the heads out (I bought an older used model with the rubber bands). It took a few shots for the head to wear in a little bit and it felt slightly sticky somehow, which caused me to have a catastrophic miss at my local club. Haha.

I took enough gave with that hinge to decide that I definitely didn't like having a release on a wrist strap. I know always having it 'there' seems convenient, but the way it flapped around made it hard to work a camera, use my rangefinder, and take arrows in and out of the quiver, without the hinge knocking on things. It functioned fine and I made good shots with it, but I ended up trading it for another release.

Currently using a Scott Ascent most of the time and I also have a Scott Select. Having the two moons and being able to have that amount of adjustments has been fantastic. I also had a UV2 for a little while but sold it because the adjustment isn't as good as the Scotts, in my opinion/experience. It was definitely comfortable in the hand, though.

Have yet to take any game with the Ascent or Select however, as it was extremely windy here last weekend and I took a thumb button out to chase pigs. Will hopefully get some critters on the ground with the Ascent soon so I'm as confident as possible when going into the fallow rut in April.