B14 HMR into a KRG Bravo

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
Hi, looking to get a KRG Bravo (Rem 700 SA) stock for my HMR wilderness in 6.5 Creedmoor (B14 - not the premier). I've done quite a bit of looking and am still unsure that this is a good fit. Has anyone had any experience with this combo? Will it drop right in? Also, was wondering if the AICS mag that came with the Bergara will work also. Appreciate any help!

Also, my line of thought in getting this stock is to one day get something like a Bighorn Origin barreled action for an upgrade. Have read nothing but positive reviews on the Bravo as a good combo between hunting and long range shooting.

Open to any suggestions as well

OP
J

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody? I was hoping to order one today or tomorrow. Anyone know if the Bergera B14 HMR bottom metal well fit into the Bravo stock without any modification? How about the barrel contour? I’ve never done anything like this, perhaps it’s very straight forward and simple, I just wanted to make sure first. Thanks

OP
J

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
The KRGs are a chassis and don’t require bottom metal. I’m not a Bergara owner, but they are a R700 footprint and should bolt right up. Barrel contour won’t be an issue. I’ve had R700’s and some clones in KRGs, and they work just fine.

The plastic Bergara mag should fit as it’s an AICS pattern, but you might consider an actual AICS metal mag (or accurate mag or MDT, etc). I’ve had magpul AICS pattern mags that don’t latch well in setups that otherwise are fine with decent metal mags.
Thanks for the confirmation A good thing to know about the metal AICS, I’ll pick one up, doesn’t hurt to have another.

So I did end up ordering the KRG bravo in black from Northland shooting supply. The guy promptly called me back, was very helpful and I already got a shipping confirmation, can’t wait to try it out.

OP
J

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
Got the Bravo stock today, here's my first impressions:

HMR
- has a very nice fit and finish and of course fits the B14 barreled action like a glove (as it should)
- narrower, slimmer profile. Probably better for hunting?
- Paint job - was always impressed with the Bergara stocks finish

Bravo
- More plasticy feel, not in a bad way, just compared directly to the HMR
- waaay better ergonomics especially for larger hands, wider fore end and grip
- lots of chassis options (of course)
- Bergara barreled action doesn't fit 'like a glove' but is good enough

After about 5-10 min of getting behind it I'm really liking the ergonomics of the Bravo. Much better feel in the hand (thicker grip and recessed for the palm), more natural. This is far more important to me than some of the nitpicks mentioned already. I never felt comfortable in the HMR stock although it is a VERY nice stock IMO

My only concern is regarding how the Bergara fits in the Bravo. On the front action screw, I only got about 1.25 - 1.5 turns (threaded in), doesn't seem sufficient. I didn't torque anything down yet as I was concerned with stripping the threads of the action. Anyone else experience this?
Also,, in the pictures, the barrel really floats above the fore end and didn't seem normal to me but maybe it's just part of a chassis stock that's not custom made for a particular rifle.

Any comments/insights are aprreciated

Attachments

• IMG-2176.jpg
    IMG-2176.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG-2177.jpg
    IMG-2177.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-2175.jpg
    IMG-2175.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 72

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got the Bravo stock today, here's my first impressions:

HMR
- has a very nice fit and finish and of course fits the B14 barreled action like a glove (as it should)
- narrower, slimmer profile. Probably better for hunting?
- Paint job - was always impressed with the Bergara stocks finish

Bravo
- More plasticy feel, not in a bad way, just compared directly to the HMR
- waaay better ergonomics especially for larger hands, wider fore end and grip
- lots of chassis options (of course)
- Bergara barreled action doesn't fit 'like a glove' but is good enough

After about 5-10 min of getting behind it I'm really liking the ergonomics of the Bravo. Much better feel in the hand (thicker grip and recessed for the palm), more natural. This is far more important to me than some of the nitpicks mentioned already. I never felt comfortable in the HMR stock although it is a VERY nice stock IMO

My only concern is regarding how the Bergara fits in the Bravo. On the front action screw, I only got about 1.25 - 1.5 turns (threaded in), doesn't seem sufficient. I didn't torque anything down yet as I was concerned with stripping the threads of the action. Anyone else experience this?
Also,, in the pictures, the barrel really floats above the fore end and didn't seem normal to me but maybe it's just part of a chassis stock that's not custom made for a particular rifle.

Any comments/insights are aprreciated
It is hard to tell on the barrel but in one of the pictures, it does look like it is not seated in there all the way. It looks like the recoil lug is not seated all the way. Start with your front action screw and then work to the rear. Once you get them started point the rifle up to ensure you are getting good recoil lug contact and then torque the front then the rear. I am not sure what their torque spec is but torque to spec. See if that settles the front of that barrel down. You should be able to look at the rear action screw from the top and it should almost come all the way out the top.

OP
J

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
It is hard to tell on the barrel but in one of the pictures, it does look like it is not seated in there all the way. It looks like the recoil lug is not seated all the way. Start with your front action screw and then work to the rear. Once you get them started point the rifle up to ensure you are getting good recoil lug contact and then torque the front then the rear. I am not sure what their torque spec is but torque to spec. See if that settles the front of that barrel down. You should be able to look at the rear action screw from the top and it should almost come all the way out the top.
I took it apart and did it again but it seems to be the same. As far as I can tell it's seated as much as it can be.
IMG-2186.jpg
This is the front action screw with me pushing it in with an allen key. The bergara action doesn't sit down into that notch - not much threading to work with
IMG-2183.jpg
Talk about passing the dollar bill test lol
IMG-2187.jpgIMG-2188.jpg

OP
J

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
So I took it apart again and the action is definitely seated into the stock but there is definitely not enough threads to torque it down. I'll have to call KRG tomorrow and see what they say. Looks like that forend can be disassembled and I imagine the front action screw can be replaced.

I guess the gap between the barrel and stock is normal, pictures online show similar setups. Here I thought the HMR #5 barrel was big to begin with but people are putting some big barrels in the Bravo.

Anyone use the Bravo for a hunting rifle/smaller contour barrel? Is there a large gap? It could just be the Bergara action, maybe I just need to fast forward and get the Bighorn Origin. It may fit better, i dunno

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR
OP
J

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
So I took apart the bravo chassis and the front action screw had two washers on it. Removed one and it’s perfect now.
Just something to look out for, if someone tried to torque that action screw down with less than 1.5 threads in it, I think it could strip.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
It's not really a "gap" per se... the KRG Bravo (and W-3) make no attempt whatsoever to "wrap" around the barrel. There's going to be pretty significant clearance with just about anything you can screw into your action. The attached photo is a KRG SOTIC - you can see the gap under the barrel... hell, you can see the rail/edge of the far side of the chassis just about. IMG_5455.JPG

Anybody have a weight with their bergara in a KRG? Was it any lighter than the factory hmr stock?

OP
J

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up getting an Origin with a prefit for the KRG but if i remember correctly, it was slightly heavier but not much

BHanson

FNG
I emailed KRG and they said there could be interference with the cheek riser at certain heights with the Bergara cocking indicator. Did you have any such issues or can you work bolt with issue.
I clearances the cheek riser on my SA. On the long action I bought their Bravo cheekpiece for R700 LA / Tikka T3 and it worked really well for me.

rdramsey8

FNG
I have the KRG Bravo on a long action and short action Bergara. Really like them on both. View attachment 430640
What is the barrel contour on the rifle in the green bravo? I just ordered a B14 Wilderness Hunter with the #4 contour medium sporter barrel and curious if it’ll look weird in the KRG stock. Yours looks like a #5 and looks great.