B zone blacktail

AME

FNG
Only ever hunted B zone once, during rifle season. Hottest driest deer hunt I have ever been on. I think we may have seen one doe? We'll done for killing something out there.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I have a general question about California blacktail hunting. Are all the tags draw only? Or are some otc until the quota is full? I've looked on the California dfw website and if it's there I can't seem to find it.

I have a general question about California blacktail hunting. Are all the tags draw only? Or are some otc until the quota is full? I've looked on the California dfw website and if it's there I can't seem to find it.
A zone and B zone are otc. I’m not sure on A zone but B zone sells out before rifle season starts.
Oh I believe D3-5 is otc also, I’ve never hunted it or really even looked into hunting those units so I’m not positive on that.

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider

California has a lot of OTC deer tags in A Zone, B Zone, and D Zones. I think A and B typically hold mostly Blacktails while the D zones have a mix of blacktails and a bunch of different species of Mule Deer like California Mule Deer, Rocky Mountain, Burro, and a few others I think. Typically though all the OTC tags sport like a 5-10% success rate and 5000-30,000 tags or something. The draw only tags like some D-Zones and all X-Zones usually have a higher success rate, lower hunters, and better class deer but the really good zones could easily take 5-20 years to pull

AME

FNG
California has a lot of OTC deer tags in A Zone, B Zone, and D Zones. I think A and B typically hold mostly Blacktails while the D zones have a mix of blacktails and a bunch of different species of Mule Deer like California Mule Deer, Rocky Mountain, Burro, and a few others I think. Typically though all the OTC tags sport like a 5-10% success rate and 5000-30,000 tags or something. The draw only tags like some D-Zones and all X-Zones usually have a higher success rate, lower hunters, and better class deer but the really good zones could easily take 5-20 years to pull
Yup. Only thing to add is C zone, which geographically is between the B and X zones. Last time I drew a C tag it took 2 years? Easier to draw than X, and a little less pressure than B or D.

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yup. Only thing to add is C zone, which geographically is between the B and X zones. Last time I drew a C tag it took 2 years? Easier to draw than X, and a little less pressure than B or D.
Thats true, as a SoCal hunter I try not to think of those zones too much XD

dster3

FNG

A, B, D zones are usually OTC and some tend to sell out before the season starts. Any X zone is a draw unit.

I've PM'd you a list of the current tags available. Although these might be differerent for NR.

A zone and B zone are otc. I’m not sure on A zone but B zone sells out before rifle season starts.
Oh I believe D3-5 is otc also, I’ve never hunted it or really even looked into hunting those units so I’m not positive on that.
Yes D3-5 is also OTC