AZ elk unit

Rich.maes

FNG
I got lucky and drew the early rifle rut tag for Unit 22N for elk in AZ. Hunt dates 9/23/22-9/29/22. Anyone else hunting this unit this year?

Last edited:

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck to you. My group drew 22N for bull on the late late rifle 12/2/22 - 12/8/22. Last year our group had cow tags in 5B south, with two out of our four that filled tags, including me. Two elk seasons in a row.
There's a lot of good info on this site and check out Arizona Hunting Forums too. Some of the terrain is very steep with little vehicle access other than by foot or pack mules.

Well be there for the late archery hunt my dad drew that tag this year looking forward to it!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
Rich.maes

Rich.maes

FNG
Anyone know if it would be worth it to hire a guide for this hunt? I’ve hired him before, he’s a great hunter and guide and he gave me a good price on this hunt. But I’m just torn because I know I have a really good chance at killing a bull without the professional help.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know if it would be worth it to hire a guide for this hunt? I’ve hired him before, he’s a great hunter and guide and he gave me a good price on this hunt. But I’m just torn because I know I have a really good chance at killing a bull without the professional help.
This hunt zone and week has 400 bull tags, it is generally thought of as an opportunity hunt with a historical success rate under 50%. If you like your guide and think it'll make the difference for you then go for it. My group of four usually help each other out and we aren't using guides, but it always depends on if you have the time to get out there yourself or not.

This hunt zone and week has 400 bull tags, it is generally thought of as an opportunity hunt with a historical success rate under 50%. If you like your guide and think it'll make the difference for you then go for it. My group of four usually help each other out and we aren't using guides, but it always depends on if you have the time to get out there yourself or not.
The OP has the early rut hunt, not one of the late hunts. The early hunt has 30 bull tags, as opposed to the 425 and 400 for the two late hunts.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
The OP has the early rut hunt, not one of the late hunts. The early hunt has 30 bull tags, as opposed to the 425 and 400 for the two late hunts.
Ahh, wasn't paying enough attention, almost like I was replying to my earlier post instead of the OP's. Thanks for pointing that out.
In that case, 22N is a big unit with a lot of really tough terrain. The main thing is always finding a bull in such a large space. If you are early in the season, they tend to be spread out a bit, and if the weather isn't cooler yet the numbers aren't getting pushed down from the higher elevations.
That being said, I'm getting pictures most weeks from friends in Payson area with elk in their front yards and also hanging out in the city parks.

During the early archery hunt in that unit, a 260" to 300" bull is very doable and if you can invest the time, a 340" bull is certainly a realistic goal to set for yourself.

Biglowt

FNG
Buddy of mine has had good luck in the cuts off the mesa. He hasn't been up there in a while but said it didn't get as much pressure.

Good glass will help. I'm looking for some leicas...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zackcarp

FNG
If you can hire a guide I would. Especially if you're an out of stater. You'll be in bulls everyday if you DIY. But the terrain knowledge is were a guide will benefit you the most.

Buddy of mine has had good luck in the cuts off the mesa. He hasn't been up there in a while but said it didn't get as much pressure.

Good glass will help. I'm looking for some leicas...
I'll second the glass comment. I had the 22N late archery tag this year. The elk were either pretty close where you almost didn't need binos, or really far away on a distant hillside.

Last edited by a moderator: