Average shot distance and state ?

Can you share the average shot distance of your mule deer kills and the state that's for?

Helpful for newer hunters considering rifle/scope combos.

Thanks,

Steve

OP
L
Thanks.

Just asking about the states in case the different states' terrain is naturally inclined to longer or shorter shots. If the mule deer habitat is pretty universal, then no big deal. Am new and just looking to gather some general info on what would help me and hopefully others choose their rifle/caliber/scope packages so it fits the state(s) we plan to hunt.

I expect there are a number of other fellas, like me, who didn't grow up hunting and starting to learn at an older age without the benefit of a mentor. In these cases, we certainly appreciate the collective wisdom from experience here.

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited:

mlob1one

WKR
When I hunted OR, my 5 mile deer averaged 350 yards. Here in UT, my rifle shots were both <200 yards. I've just gotten lucky in UT. Two of my buddies have shot their deer between 400-575 yards.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Calbuck

WKR
I’d say that if a fellow was going to hunt in any of the western states, they should prepare and practice out to at least 400 yards..the reason I say this is because while some (if not most) are less than 300, there’s going to be those situations where they’re a bit farther. I don’t condone long range shooting much past that just based on my own practice and results with targets. Not saying a very experienced shooter can’t successfully shoot further, but my personal opinions/ethics fall within those ranges. With that said, I shot my last mule deer at a ranged 410 yds with my 7 mm mag last season in Idaho. Other opinions may vary.

OP
L
I’d say that if a fellow was going to hunt in any of the western states, they should prepare and practice out to at least 400 yards..the reason I say this is because while some (if not most) are less than 300, there’s going to be those situations where they’re a bit farther. I don’t condone long range shooting much past that just based on my own practice and results with targets. Not saying a very experienced shooter can’t successfully shoot further, but my personal opinions/ethics fall within those ranges. With that said, I shot my last mule deer at a ranged 410 yds with my 7 mm mag last season in Idaho. Other opinions may vary.

Thanks a lot. In my case that's basically the plan I have IF I buy a new rifle, to plan for and practice until confident up to 400yds. However, I've already got a Marlin 336SS (stainless) shooting the Leverevolution pointed bullets, which can be consistent and with adequate killing power (per stats) up to about the 225yd range.

For me personally, the bottom line is just how often would I be faced with a 225-400 yd. shot in California, Wyoming, Colorado, where we plan to hunt the next year or two?

It sure is a long drive from Cali to Colo if I have to pass on a 300yd shot if that's all I could get with the stalk and conditions.

Thanks,

Steve

Calbuck

WKR
Exactly. The time you have the big one out there is going to be slightly further than you want him to be..so be ready as best you can to take advantage. But don’t take a shot you’re not comfortable with. I’d prob take a poke at a little more than 400 if there was a smoker at the other end but only if the conditions were right. You have to be the judge of that.

OP
L
Ok guys, that helps so much clear my decision making and gives me the justification we all enjoy...to get a new rifle sooner than later.

Cheers,

Steve

Calbuck

WKR
Just remember you don’t need a cannon to make those shots..just some practice with something from a (opinion) .243-7mm will get the job done. Of course there are others, just don’t need a huge shoulder pounder to have success at those ranges

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
I love my little Marlin for still hunting, however I only bring it out on my property when I know I'm hunting the thick stuff. When hunting the public in ID, I always carry the 7mm just due to never knowing the exact situation I may find myself in. If contemplating hunting out of state, I would invest in a new gun. There are so many excellent options out there right now, it's a great time to be a buyer and start scanning the classifieds. I'm so in love with levers but realistically they're not as universal IMO for the traveling hunter.

OP
L
Yes, love the lever action, especially when boar hunting which are the shorter ranges. You guys have helped seal the deal to get a new rifle.

Have friends who love their 7mm, but going to get a 6.5 cm as my hunting buddy is getting one also so we can have backup ammo/misc.. Was great to shoulder a lot of rifles in the store as there is a such a notable difference in the feel and how natural they mount. With internet searching it's so easy to want to buy by specs, but it seems more like a car that you need to test drive or at least sit in it first before buying.

Weatherby stocks fit best, but really like the Kimbers for fit, finish, light weight. Looking into possible used Kimber hunter purchase then put aftermarket stock on it with raised cheek area.

BrentH

WKR
My group shot 5 Mule Deer in Idaho this past season. There wasn’t a shot over 125 yards. The terrain allows for much longer shots, but we were fortunate.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Good advice so far. It's always fun to pick up a new rifle, and as far as calibers are concerned the 6.5's have excellent bullet weights for deer hunting.

As far as shot distances go, you can basically get as close as you need too. People are still getting it done with bows and muzzleloaders in these same areas. Yeah, you might miss an opportunity here and there trying to sneak closer, but that's what makes hunting so fun!

My last 3 rifle killed bucks were 35, 80, and 70 yards. Used a 270, 300 win, and 6.5-300 wby. Two were Montana one was Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnsd16

WKR
Our group has taken several eastern MT bucks from 400 to 50-60 yds.

From a practical standpoint get a rifle that can shoot 120-180 bullets in a modern rifle cartridge and top it with something with a low end of 2-3x and a top end of at least 10x or max of 18x for non-long range guys will be a good setup. Plenty of good 3-15x, 2-12x, 3-12x, 4-12x, etc type options out there.

darren820

FNG
Three of us hunting Wyoming this year all shot mulies at 300-350 yds. 200-400 seems to be the norm.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
My 2018 Wyoming buck was 400, my Colorado buck was 430, and Washington muzzy buck was 160.

tunafed

FNG
CA shots between 80-240. Primary set up is a 7mm08 with a 3-9 VX2. In my D zone never felt the need for more magnification, hunted an X zone last year and wouldn't have minded a little more but, ended up taking a deer a little inside of 150.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Most of mine have been 300 yards or less in Montana. It's not very hard to get within 300 yards of most any deer, at least in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk