Average/middle of road rangefinder

92xj

WKR
In the market for a new range finder. I don't do any long range shooting (700 yard max). I do archery hunt as well as rifle, so would like the angle compensation technology.
I would like to be able to range deer/animals to 750ish, and landscapes/trees to 1200 minimum.
I have no real desire to go over the $300 mark. I also don't think I want to go back to vortex that I left years ago, but could be convinced.
Whats the latest "good" middle road range finder these days?
Maven CRF.1s?
Leupold RX-1600i?
something else in this price range?

Hello, I know above your price range but I've been super happy with vortex razor hd 4000. It's 499 but sometimes there's deals. Ive had a couple Nikon's and broke both. Both middle of road nothing fancy just got in a store didn't research. Vortex works really well for me and I especially love the hold down the range button to the tough to reach spots or that you'd otherwise have to stabilize really well for to see the range. I Don't use the first/last or any other features honestly. I'm red green colorblind and can see this illuminator really well too. I get what you mean about vortex. Other than the rangefinder I got all other brands but rangefinder clicked well with my price point and has held up great. Optics aren't the clearest compared to a pair of binos obviously but it's a rangefinder. It's taken a beating and still works. As long as I can see what I'm pointing at it's clear enough for me. Really nice ranging super far to see how far I gotta walk one point to another to guess time to get there and what not. Never thought id use that as much as I do. Checking distance to a ridge or ravine etc. I'd offer something lower in price range but this is what I got and the input I can give. 4 years about year round use with predator hunts and deer/elk stuff. No problems.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
The one thing I have found/read about vortex is they are horrible in fog and rain. I know fog and rain messes with most rangefinders, but I am finding out that vortex really struggles or so the research says.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take a look at a demo GPO RANGETRACKER™ 1800 Series
  • Ranging capability from 6 to over 1800 yards
  • True-range™ angle compensation technology
  • Hyper-scan™ mode provides three readings every second
  • 6X magnification
  • Target-seeker™ mode for best or last laser hits
  • Secondary reading provides temperature or angle

Thangn0s

FNG
The Leupold RX-1600i would meet all of your shooting needs, but if your a little conscious about price, the RX-1400 has many of the same features (OLED display, angle compensation for bow and rifle), and is only $200.

BLJ

WKR
I just received an Athlon Midas G1 from @gr8fuldoug yesterday. Tested against a trusted Bushnell Elite they were both within a yard of each other to 1265.
The only thing I did notice is that the Athlon seemed to not be as “forgiving” when looking at animals through some thicker stuff. Meaning the Bushnell would range the deer, but the Athlon would seem to pick up twigs between me and the deer.
It may be a matter of practice with it as well. Outside of that, it seems like a good unit. For $189 it was worth a shot.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
thanks!
I was looking at them as well.

Between the Leupold 1400 and the GPOs, it seems the Leupolds win, cheaper and claim they range deer to 900yds where the GPOs claim 700yds.

Now, I shall compare the leupolds to the Athlons...

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
thanks!
I was looking at them as well.

Between the Leupold 1400 and the GPOs, it seems the Leupolds win, cheaper and claim they range deer to 900yds where the GPOs claim 700yds.

Now, I shall compare the leupolds to the Athlons...
The optics in the GPO blow away the optics in the Leupold

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
The optics in the GPO blow away the optics in the Leupold
oh really? Just a clearer, better image?

Between the three above, your choice would be the GPOs? for archery hunting and mid range rifle hunting?

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
The GPO, if optical quality is important, is noticeably the best
one last question...I promise

If optical quality is not important which one?

Are the innards and electronics of the GPO equal or better?

My current Leupolds are 4 years old and the reticles/readings/lights are starting to go and they are past the year warranty from Leupold.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
The sig kilo is my favorite rangefinder for archery,it ranges instantly and I've never had a problem with them.I've bought 3 used ones on here for under 200 and they all still work great.Also like the red display

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
one last question...I promise

If optical quality is not important which one?

Are the innards and electronics of the GPO equal or better?

My current Leupolds are 4 years old and the reticles/readings/lights are starting to go and they are past the year warranty from Leupold.
Equal

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Ended up ordering the GPO from cameraland. Got it today, seems to work fine but I’m not in love with it. I did not realize it was only a black read out and not red that I’m used to. I hunt a lot of dark timber and feel this black might be frustrating since I am used to red.
I am thinking about just sucking it up and ordering the Leica crf 2800 and returning the GPO. I don’t really need or will use the phone syncing stuff. I like the auto dimming red led readout of the Leica.
@gr8fuldoug can in order the Leica and keep the GPO until the Leica arrives, test them in the yard side by side at dusk and dark trees and the return the one I don’t want?

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Please give me or Neil a call, 516-217-1000, so we can take care of this for you.
Just got off the phone with Neil, that guy sounds like he's had a hell of a past life!

Got the Leica 2700 ordered and going to give that a whirl.
Thanks.