Average archery shot on early season mulies

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Alright guys, what are y’all’s experiences in average shot distance when putting a stalk on an early season buck? Specifically archery shot.
What’s the closest shot you’ve taken? Farthest? Were you successful in harvesting your buck at those distances?

Dennis

WKR
My closest was 10 yards and my normal shooting distances are about 20-about 35 yards. Beyond about forty I’ll pass most of the time on deer.

Last edited:

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Farthest was 40. Closest I should have taken was 5 yards. Instead I let that one run off, 4 yards wasn’t an option

OP
O

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Farthest was 40. Closest I should have taken was 5 yards. Instead I let that one run off, 4 yards wasn’t an option
At that distance tackling it and choking it out becomes an option as well…

Taudisio

WKR
40-45 seems normal. I’ve taken a few at a poke for most people. Felt comfortable for myself to do it at the time and have not had any complications with the long shots on deer. I’ve had opportunities in the low 20’s to the high 80’s. Been successful at both.

Only problem I’ve had was a shoulder hit buck at 37. Expandable blade didn’t penetrate to the shaft of the arrow. I only use fixed blades now. Shot mine last year at 67. Penetrated about 30” of deer and impaled the base of a mahogany that required a knife to cut it out.

OP
O

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
40-45 seems normal. I’ve taken a few at a poke for most people. Felt comfortable for myself to do it at the time and have not had any complications with the long shots on deer. I’ve had opportunities in the low 20’s to the high 80’s. Been successful at both.

Only problem I’ve had was a shoulder hit buck at 37. Expandable blade didn’t penetrate to the shaft of the arrow. I only use fixed blades now. Shot mine last year at 67. Penetrated about 30” of deer and impaled the base of a mahogany that required a knife to cut it out.
I shoot fixed as well. Not because I’ve had an issue with hitting the shoulder, but because I want to minimize the possibility of it ever becoming an issue.

For me ,less than 3 yards on a doe one time to 57 yards as longest ,this one ended up being a liver shot that I left alone for a couple hours and went back and recovered. Most of my mule deer are in the 30 yard to 40 yard range. The broadheads that I use now are either Montec 100's or NAP hellrazors.

I've only gone on two early season mule deer bow hunts, as September is usually reserved for elk. I shot two arrows and killed two bucks. One was 29 yards, and the other was 66 yards. There was no way to get any closer to the longer one. Terrain, wind, your shooting confidence, etc... will all play a role. I like to practice a lot at 80 yards, but don't ever intend to shoot an animal at that range. I've been shooting fixed blade Slick Trick standards for a lot of years. Won't consider mechanical for elk, and don't see a need for them for deer either.

Wheels

WKR
50-60 yds. Shot one at 50, but was such a severe slope the 30yd pin was needed. Hard to get real close in sage country when they’re in bachelor groups.

OP
O

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
All these extreme close shots bring up a question for me. Why? Why get so close? Is it situational and you’re creeping over a rock to shoot straight down on them? Do you just keep getting closer until you can’t anymore? I can understand the reasoning for one… I understand if that’s the only available shot but don’t really get it if you’re just trying to get that close for the hell of it.