Auodad in Texas

Weldor

WKR
Ive watched them push deserts sheep in NM and TX around so believe what you want.

There is no doubt they out breed desert sheep, not even an argument. As far as out compete, not hard to do the math, aoudad recruitment blows wild desert or even big horns out of the water

Ive killed probably 40 plus aoudad
Any good outfitters you are aware of in west Texas? We hunt Whitetail and Axis, never done the Aoudad, sounds fun.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Ever tried javelina, lol??
I was waiting for that. Javelina is fine. I just ate some more this weekend. Tacos, spaghetti, chili, etc is the easy button. My brother eats it saviche style, but I don’t do that. I have marinated the back straps and grilled them rare, and that was fine too. My kids love javelina spaghetti and tacos. Haha.

Just have to not be a dumbass and not pop the gland, don’t let the hair touch the meat, and use a different knife on the meat than you used to cut the hide. Do those things and it’s like a giant rabbit.

Last edited:
I was waiting for that. Javelina is fine. I just ate some more this weekend. Tacos, spaghetti, chili, etc is the easy button. My brother eats it saviche style, but I don’t do that. I have marinated the back straps and grilled them rare, and that was fine too. My kids love javelina spaghetti and tacos. Haha.

Just have to not be a dumbass and not pop the gland, don’t let the hair touch the meat, and use a different knife on the meat than you used to cut the hide. Do those things and it’s like a giant rabbit.
People don't realize they actually eat well. When I was a kid my mother made some "pork chops" with some ketchup based traditional sauce and they were excellent.

cbeard64

WKR
Anything is edible if the actual taste of the meat is disguised with enough sauces and/or seasonings. Which is actually the foundation of Southwestern/Mexican cuisine.

inkedspot

Lil-Rokslider
Taste was fine - as long as you are good with the slightly different taste that sheep have. If you are not a fan of regular mutton - then Aoudad are probably not going to be your favorite. I think you would need to grind it all because of the toughness of the meat. Even when you slow cook it an old ram still has a lot of chew to the meat.

I will fully grind the next one, but I will drag it all bag with me. It was good quality meat, had the slight mutton flavor to it, but when slicing it or doing braised steak preparation it was still pretty tough. I bet ground it would make great burgers, spaghetti, chili, tacos, etc. Definitely didnt need Heinz 57 to choke it down - lol.

Big_wals

WKR
I may have the opportunity this winter to tag along on a management hunt and kill some ewes, had a question about cooking the meat. Is Auodad safe to eat medium rare like elk and deer? If it works to go, and I manage to kill one, I’m planning on grinding the meat with added beef fat, same as I do for elk burger. I know nothing about sheep tho, wasn’t sure if it’s safe to eat without cooking to well done.

I may have the opportunity this winter to tag along on a management hunt and kill some ewes, had a question about cooking the meat. Is Auodad safe to eat medium rare like elk and deer? If it works to go, and I manage to kill one, I’m planning on grinding the meat with added beef fat, same as I do for elk burger. I know nothing about sheep tho, wasn’t sure if it’s safe to eat without cooking to well done.
Yes it's fine. Look up techniques for cooking lamb and stuff like that, it's more greasy than beef and venison. Next time I get one I'm gonna try to do some Greek gyro type methods.