August AK sheep hunt tent choice

kabushnell

Lil-Rokslider
I have a backpack hunt in AK range this August for dalls and trying to decide on which tent to take. Picking between SG original Skyscraper 2p or the Solus 1p.

It will just be me in the tent so both have plenty of room. There is some weight savings with the 1p but some downsides with smaller vestibules on the side and front entry.

For guys that have been in AK during August and have experience with the SG tents what would your choice be?

Thanks!

I have done three sheep hunts in August in Alaska and always took a tipi. The ability to stand up and have more room than needed was always nice. Sitting in a chair is nice as well. It is really handy when the weather is shit and you have 24-48hrs of waiting because of the weather.

OP
K

kabushnell

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks and agree a tipi would have some benefits but I’m budgeted out so need to take a tent I have already so need to pick between these two SG tents.

mdoolin

FNG
I've only been on two sheep hunts but in my experience I would recommend the 2man tent. Odds are you will spend a few days stuck in your tent with weather. Having that extra room makes it much more comfortable and In my opinion the weight price is worth it.

From talking with a lot of sheep guides and outfitters I've found most guys that are unsuccessful is usually due to them quitting early so if a tent makes it easier to stay on the mountain the whole hunt i would do it. With sheep numbers where they are i'm of course not saying everyone that sticks it out to the end is successful i'm just saying a lot of the past stories i heard on guys that were unsuccessful was usually due to them pulling the plug a few days in.

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
I have done three sheep hunts in August in Alaska and always took a tipi. The ability to stand up and have more room than needed was always nice. Sitting in a chair is nice as well. It is really handy when the weather is shit and you have 24-48hrs of waiting because of the weather.
I'm heading to the NWT first 10 days August and bringing my tipi never crossed my mind. I figured potential high winds would rule it out. I have the Argali 2 man. My plan is to take my Kuiu mountain star

IBen

WKR
take the tent most similar to the one your guide is using. Differences might not be much but you’ll both be on the same page when looking for a spot to pitch.

If you are carrying all your own gear, in gnarly terrain you bring the solo tent. If your guide is carrying half the gear and it’s more mellow, then footprint and weight don’t matter as much so why not bring a two man. I’ve seen too much horrific weather here in AK to not carry a 4 season tent but lots of experienced people get away with far less, such as a tarp.. You’ll be good either way.

chasewild

WKR
I have the solus and have used it for 11 nights last year on a sheep hunt, and 11 for brown bear.

1. I used it with a tub floor and no tent to cut weight. Was a nice compromise on weight and security.

2. It sucks to set up without the tent attached to the truss and fly. Takes at least 5 minutes.

3. 10mm DAC poles are burly. If guyed properly, you’re gonna be upright even in pretty terrible winds.

4. I’d look at some of the Slingfin shelters if I were doing it all over again.

Last edited:

schmalzy

WKR
I’ve only done one and it was in a hille akto so take this with a grain of salt.

What’s the rest of your gear weight look like?

I think it depends on your own tolerance; if you really don’t mind being in a 1 man tent I’d do it. Weight saved is weight saved. But if it’s a significant comfort trade off splurge on the skyscraper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKjon

FNG
of course not saying everyone that sticks it out to the end is successful i'm just saying a lot of the past stories i heard on guys that were unsuccessful was usually due to them pulling the plug a few days in.
This ^... Staying longer doesn't guarantee success, but you cant be successful if you aren't there ;)

OP
K

kabushnell

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful. I agree the 2p would be nice for room but also a weight penalty. Will decide shortly!

ColeyG

WKR
I always land on the side of weight savings vs. comfort on sheep hunts because I wind up putting a lot of miles on with camp on my back. In my mind the decision would come down to your strategy for the hunt. Light and fast and cover a lot of ground vs. Base camp and get bumped around if there isn't anything in your immediate area.

Wingert

FNG
Since you have both Stone Glacier tents and a new tent isn't in your budget, I'd suggest taking the Skyscaper 2P. Looking at the weight difference, the 1P is 4lbs 6 oz where the 2P is 5 lbs 1 oz - you're gaining more room, vestibule for gear storage or cook in if inclement weather arrives - with minimal weight penalty.

OP
K

kabushnell

Lil-Rokslider
I can certainly pack a 2p tent, that isn’t the question. But always looking to be as light as possible while still having quality and comfortable gear.

Leaning towards the 2p vs the solus but wanted others opinion who have experience with AK since this will be my first trip up north.

Thanks all for the feedback